How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Heart and Soul
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-11-2005
Day Dreaming

I'm from Toronto.. born and raised a city girl.

28-11-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasmin
"You pronounce it "Muntreal", not "Mahntreal"."

I swear I've never heard it pronounced Mahntreal in my life.... (???)

I've heard it many times from anglos outside of Quebec. Makes me cringe a bit.

I suppose it is better they say it that way rather than trying to say it in French....because then they just massacre the name.

28-11-2005
V.I.P.

^Agreed! Don't even get me started on that

Everyone I know who speaks French says "Mun-tree-all" when they say it in English.

29-11-2005
tfs star

you guys make me wonder again what quebec really thinks of the anglos...

29-11-2005
princely

If i knew French, I'd definetly try myself out in Montreal

29-11-2005
V.I.P.

Where in Toronto do the Torontonians live? I want neighborhood shout outs lol!

29-11-2005
gromosexual

i'm from hamilton

29-11-2005
tfs star

you should've warned me nader, then i could trumpet your arrival into this thread..

nader, what the heck are you saying.. you're not from hamilton. i doubt rusty steel playgrounds could ever give birth to a greek god..

Last edited by Pinky*; 29-11-2005 at 12:36 AM.
29-11-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky*
you should've warned me nader, then i could trumpet your arrival into this thread..

nader, what the heck are you saying.. you're not from hamilton. i doubt rusty steel playgrounds could ever give birth to a greek god..

I once met a Greek god from Hamilton. This was a while back. He was gorgeous and actually greek.

hey, maybe it was Nader?

29-11-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky*
you guys make me wonder again what quebec really thinks of the anglos...
They have a really really bad opinion of Anglophones I mean, we were treated like sh*t because we were French-speakers until not so long ago. (I'd say up to the sixties, actually) It is a historic relationship that is still perceived pretty much the same way today.

Although, I mean I'm not judging anyone, at all. I don't have a problem with anglophones at all. I just think they were absolute jerks to treat us like that. And I think today things have evolved, but there is still a feeling of inferiority present in Quebec... no wonder we want to become a country. I'm actually against us becoming a country for a few reasons, but I agree that on cultural and historic bases only, we should totally have done that decades ago. Honestly, we're like a colony that is owned by Canada, to a lesser extent than what colonies were before (in Africa, etc). But we still get that feeling here, that we are inferior to Anglophones.

We'll see what happens with the upcoming elections, but it could make Quebec's cause be brought up again. The youth here is really nationalist and they really want Quebec to become a country but most of them only want that because they hate those bleeping anglophones. It's sad, really. I mean, it's great to want to have your own country, but please want to for the right reasons.

Anyway, sorry I'm a bit tired, this might not be too coherent. I think there is still a rivality between Anglos and Francos. Francos are definitely holding a grudge against Anglos and can't say that I really blame them, we have really been treated like inferiors and slaves throughout our whole history. And it is SO ironic because Canada BEGAN in Québec. I think it will be like this forever and nothing can really change it.

But I love you guys, so don't hold it against me

29-11-2005
backstage pass

it's a pity to see racism so rampant in Canada today.
I am using racism in a loose way (since it is more like culture-ism) but by definition racism is a gray term because there are no "races". Anyways...

Francophones are racist towards Anglos, and the rest of Canada are racist towards Quebec. (Anglophone Quebekers get screwed on all ends) Are we in the middle ages? sigh.

29-11-2005
V.I.P.

^ Yes, definitely. I use racism too to describe it, no offense taken/totally the right term.

There has always been a rivality between the English and the French though, I think it's just a part of our history and it will be really hard to change.

True, Anglo Quebecers are getting screwed today. But until the middle of the last century, they were really screwing the French over so I guess it's like karma. Not that it's a good thing. I just wish everyone were equal and there were no inferiority/superiority complex.

30-11-2005
tfs star

to the Quebeckers - do you feel like theres hate btw the younger generation btw Quebec and the rest of Canada?

30-11-2005
fashion icon

I don't see any racism or discrimination in Canada between anglos outside of Quebec and the French in Quebec. Ontarians are pretty tolerant of the French Canadians and most i've met while living in Toronto would always say "I love Montréal", "I think it is so cool to be able to be bilingual"...and so on.

It is the same thing from people in Manitoba and Alberta and BC. Quebec is something different for them so they seem to like it or be fascinated by it.

As for within Quebec I think that since the 1970's when Trudeu was in power the french became more powerful. The english became a minority and still are. I think in any country where there is a minority there will be discrimination.

The best thing to be in Quebec is bilingual because then there are no problems.

30-11-2005
tfs star

its interesting that there can be discrimination partly based on language.. I guess being bilingual would help to appear 'more french' to avoid this? correct me if i'm wrong... do you feel its bc its part of the french culture? i'm saying this bc one of the reasons it seems to appear in france is bc they see the ones being discriminated as never being 'fully french' and always outsiders..

thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
canada, living, members, tfs