How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-05-2004
front row

In case you all needed to know, I am going to the University of Texas at Austin Hey, they've got great music and a fantastic business program and a so-so art program. Which works for me since I am going Parson's for my Master's anyway. I hope!

I think the Prada is so far the one I am most attracted to. Let's see what Ebay can do for me I also so a Kenneth Cole recently but it was trimmed with leather which made it so heavy and so rigid...

My bag hunting update so far.

05-05-2004
backstage pass

omg you could totally pull off the LV abessess at UT. i'm an aggie and so many girls have those here. probably fake, actually i would say most of em fake but LV at UT, you could totally do it. Sorority girls are all over the place up there. that is unless you dont want to pull off the princess thing.

05-05-2004
backstage pass

jack spade makes a nice leather one.

to me, don't take offense to this please, but you sound like your being blinded by brand names and logos. cuz when you strip off the little prada triangle and the kenneth cole patch there's nothing really amazing about the the shapes or designs of them. i think the gap ones that were out a couple a years ago had a better design to them than those pradas pictured.

i would look for something in leather, it'll last you longer and it ages elegantly. after a while the prada nylon will start to snag and look gross.

05-05-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by sbbbjm@May 5th, 2004 - 7:37 pm
omg you could totally pull off the LV abessess at UT. i'm an aggie and so many girls have those here. probably fake, actually i would say most of em fake but LV at UT, you could totally do it. Sorority girls are all over the place up there. that is unless you dont want to pull off the princess thing.
I'm sure she could. She could also show up wearing a fur coat to an environmental studies.

The question is, why'd she want to do that? To look like some airhead spoiled sorority girl whose biggest aspiration is to appear on the next production of Girls Gone Wild?

And even if she wants to, and it's entirely prerogative to do so, I'd go for something slightly better looking than the bulky, ugly Abesses.

05-05-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by sbbbjm@May 5th, 2004 - 7:48 pm
to me, don't take offense to this please, but you sound like your being blinded by brand names and logos. cuz when you strip off the little prada triangle and the kenneth cole patch there's nothing really amazing about the the shapes or designs of them. i think the gap ones that were out a couple a years ago had a better design to them than those pradas pictured.

i would look for something in leather, it'll last you longer and it ages elegantly. after a while the prada nylon will start to snag and look gross.
Isn't it a little ironic for this to come from someone who'd recommend something like the Abesses? Take off the loud, obnoxious, cliched logo plastered EVERYWHERE on the bag, and you'd basically get an awkwardly-shaped bag in a drab shade, the likes of which you can find at Walmart for a minute fraction of its price.

Leather is actually notoriously hard to take care of, unless it's the intentionally aged variety. Just ask tott, he just bought a messenger in untreated nappa. White spots would form the very moment moisture hits the bag's surface. You wouldn't want to deal with that when you're lugging around 50lbs of books, rushing to your next lecture.

I've used 3 different Prada nylon bags for school, 2 messengers and 1 backpack, and all of them have kept their shape remarkably well, considering the heavy-duty nature of their usage. Tessuto, which is the lined, thicker type, is almost impossible to snag, whereas the more delicate Vela material is almost never used for large luggage-type bags.

05-05-2004
front row

Quote:
to me, don't take offense to this please, but you sound like your being blinded by brand names and logos
Hey, it takes more than that to offend me

Yes, I suppose it might come across like I am blinded by brand names but bear in mind that this bag is *cross fingers* hopefully going to have to last me through my entire college career and then some if I take my Masters. And I did not mention that I was only looking for designer bags. My only critiria was that the should be relatively cheap (Which the Abessess is not which is why I don't intend to buy it). I just happen to like the sleek minimalistic design of Prada and the fact that they last a decent aount of time!

05-05-2004
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Orochian@May 5th, 2004 - 8:02 pm
Isn't it a little ironic for this to come from someone who'd recommend something like the Abesses? Take off the loud, obnoxious, cliched logo plastered EVERYWHERE on the bag, and you'd basically get an awkwardly-shaped bag in a drab shade, the likes of which you can find at Walmart for a minute fraction of its price.
I was trying to bite my tounge on this one--but had to coment. I have to say that from the bags that I own (many of which I use for school), LV has a fantastic quality standard. Granted, they are over-price, but who are you kidding if you think that upwards of $600 for a nylon bag with a triangle logo glued on isn't over-priced as well? I own only a few Prada bags, two of which are nylon, and I have been happy with the quality, but they are by no stretch of the word fabulously designed. I think Walmart would be quicker to produce an unstructured black nylon sac than they would a coated canvas messenger. I do not especially like the abbeses (monogram bores me outsie of luggage), but it is no more an example of a major house taking advantage of their name and hiking prices than the Prada bags you pictured.

scenester

I own a kate spade messenger bag and it's held up really well. Very durable.

05-05-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by MJCouture+May 5th, 2004 - 9:30 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MJCouture @ May 5th, 2004 - 9:30 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Orochian@May 5th, 2004 - 8:02 pm
Isn't it a little ironic for this to come from someone who'd recommend something like the Abesses?* Take off the loud, obnoxious, cliched logo plastered EVERYWHERE on the bag, and you'd basically get an awkwardly-shaped bag in a drab shade, the likes of which you can find at Walmart for a minute fraction of its price.
I was trying to bite my tounge on this one--but had to coment. I have to say that from the bags that I own (many of which I use for school), LV has a fantastic quality standard. Granted, they are over-price, but who are you kidding if you think that upwards of $600 for a nylon bag with a triangle logo glued on isn't over-priced as well? I own only a few Prada bags, two of which are nylon, and I have been happy with the quality, but they are by no stretch of the word fabulously designed. I think Walmart would be quicker to produce an unstructured black nylon sac than they would a coated canvas messenger. I do not especially like the abbeses (monogram bores me outsie of luggage), but it is no more an example of a major house taking advantage of their name and hiking prices than the Prada bags you pictured. [/b][/quote]
And you think the Abesses, with that kind of a shape, is "fabulously designed"?

Ahem...

Most of the V100-series messengers were designed when Neil Barrett was head of menswear at Prada, and bear the aesthetics that have, respectively, made Prada what it is today, and propelled Barrett to be one of the most successful new designers on the scene. I happen to find that type of a progressive, fresh design approach much more appealing than the stuffy, old-world, design-deprived styles of most Vuitton bags. Much more importantly, they're user-friendly and practical: comfortable to wear, with efficient volume, and convenient access.

I used to own a Monogram Glace Bobby, and I will admit that it is indeed painstakingly made. But it's simply a disaster in terms of design, and no amount of craftsmanship can compensate for that. The boxy shape holds much less than what its exterior size would otherwise suggest, and the external slip pocket is, for all practical purposes, next to useless. It's also simply painful to use - the padded shoulder patch is stiff and doesn't conform to the shape of the shoulder, and the zipper closure is bound to inflict nasty scratches on whatever you put inside the bag, not to mention your own hand. I sold it just months after the purchase, as I was just sick of getting scratches on my watches and bracelets.

When I pay $800 for a bag, I expect such practical issues to be clearly resolved, and I refuse to shell out my dough simply for a brand name, especially one that has become such a caricature of fashion victims with no taste.

05-05-2004
backstage pass

Two of my school bags are from Mountain Equipment Co-op and I think they cost under $40 each. Their bags have a lifetime warranty so if they break I just bring them back to one of their stores and get a new one. But so far I haven't had to do that and I've known people who's MEC bags lasted them several years without falling apart. To some extent the argument that designer bags are more durable than non-designer bags is a crock of sh*t.

05-05-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by banana@May 5th, 2004 - 10:39 pm
Two of my school bags are from Mountain Equipment Co-op and I think they cost under $40 each. Their bags have a lifetime warranty so if they break I just bring them back to one of their stores and get a new one. But so far I haven't had to do that and I've known people who's MEC bags lasted them several years without falling apart. To some extent the argument that designer bags are more durable than non-designer bags is a crock of sh*t.
Sounds fabulous to me. Do you happen to know if they have some sort of picture/ online thing I can buy from and see their merchandise? Yes, to some dergree, you are right but again I am not just looking for a designer bag. I am open to any suggestions even if you want to make me one yourself . If the quality is fabulous and the design and cut is great, hey, I am not going to complain it doesn't have a tiny tag there that says "Kate Spade" or a triangular logo that mentions the house of Prada...

05-05-2004
backstage pass

This is the messenger I have: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....D=1083817334515

It's pretty plain but so are some of the other ones that have been posted.

05-05-2004
front row

I like it. And I like the price even more! Hey, plain is good. When you need something to wear everyday and it needs to match everything and anything, sleek and minimalistic is the way to go! Is it sort of rigid? I am very petite so I am wondering how would that sort of shape look on me..

05-05-2004
backstage pass

It's hard to say because I'm tall so I have no problem with the size. It has a zipper around the edge of the bag that you can unzip if you want more room for books. I usually keep it zipped unless I have to carry a lot of stuff that day. It's made out of a very durable nylon so it's nice and light. They're really popular in Canada and since they only come in two colours I always see people with my bag. But MEC is a Canadian company so hopefully you won't have that problem.

06-05-2004
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Orochian+May 5th, 2004 - 10:36 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orochian @ May 5th, 2004 - 10:36 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by MJCouture@May 5th, 2004 - 9:30 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Orochian
Quote:
@May 5th, 2004 - 8:02 pm
Isn't it a little ironic for this to come from someone who'd recommend something like the Abesses?* Take off the loud, obnoxious, cliched logo plastered EVERYWHERE on the bag, and you'd basically get an awkwardly-shaped bag in a drab shade, the likes of which you can find at Walmart for a minute fraction of its price.

I was trying to bite my tounge on this one--but had to coment. I have to say that from the bags that I own (many of which I use for school), LV has a fantastic quality standard. Granted, they are over-price, but who are you kidding if you think that upwards of $600 for a nylon bag with a triangle logo glued on isn't over-priced as well? I own only a few Prada bags, two of which are nylon, and I have been happy with the quality, but they are by no stretch of the word fabulously designed. I think Walmart would be quicker to produce an unstructured black nylon sac than they would a coated canvas messenger. I do not especially like the abbeses (monogram bores me outsie of luggage), but it is no more an example of a major house taking advantage of their name and hiking prices than the Prada bags you pictured.
And you think the Abesses, with that kind of a shape, is "fabulously designed"?

Ahem...

Most of the V100-series messengers were designed when Neil Barrett was head of menswear at Prada, and bear the aesthetics that have, respectively, made Prada what it is today, and propelled Barrett to be one of the most successful new designers on the scene. I happen to find that type of a progressive, fresh design approach much more appealing than the stuffy, old-world, design-deprived styles of most Vuitton bags. Much more importantly, they're user-friendly and practical: comfortable to wear, with efficient volume, and convenient access.

I used to own a Monogram Glace Bobby, and I will admit that it is indeed painstakingly made. But it's simply a disaster in terms of design, and no amount of craftsmanship can compensate for that. The boxy shape holds much less than what its exterior size would otherwise suggest, and the external slip pocket is, for all practical purposes, next to useless. It's also simply painful to use - the padded shoulder patch is stiff and doesn't conform to the shape of the shoulder, and the zipper closure is bound to inflict nasty scratches on whatever you put inside the bag, not to mention your own hand. I sold it just months after the purchase, as I was just sick of getting scratches on my watches and bracelets.

When I pay $800 for a bag, I expect such practical issues to be clearly resolved, and I refuse to shell out my dough simply for a brand name, especially one that has become such a caricature of fashion victims with no taste. [/b][/quote]
you have again misconstured and totally missed the point of my post.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bag, books, recommendations, school