How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

17-01-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaraKaye
okay so officially my makeup is Anis...
OH?? That would match my city.... It is close to the mustard and probably would have assumed it was if had been listed that way. I'm glad it was correct or the replacement tassles wouldn't be matching right now.

17-01-2006
backstage pass

Just got back from Barneys. I can't remember everything that was in stock, but I'll give it a shot:

white voyage, city, first, purse (i'm not positive -- is this the rounded flat one?), twiggy, day
black voyage, work, purse (?), day, city
ink voyage, work, purse (?), twiggy, city
pink day, first
also day bags in calcaire, black pony, tan pony, denim
something else in black pony -- maybe a city
a couple tiny coin pouches
the little clutch w/strap in teal satin
those stupid shoe bags in grey (honestly, who is going to put their shoes in balenciaga shoe bags?!?
and probably a few more I can't remember

I didn't buy anything b/c I'm still holding out for an ink day bag. The SA told me he'd call me if one came in. The other ink bags looked pretty nice, but some were thinner than others. I think the reason we have all loved the ink and yet been turned off to some of them is because of the distressing -- the ones that are too distressed tend to look very veiny in the ink because of the color. I was tempted by the calcaire day bag, but I think I'm still going to wait for the ink.

17-01-2006
backstage pass

socal - i'm so glad you're keeping the ink!

shoes - my husband has no idea (and i plan to keep it that way)!

leyla - stunning clutch (and i definitely recommend the twiggy)

paris - i think the lilac hobo would be lovely

ocean - i'm so sorry but i am a big believer in "meant to be" so i know this means there is another bag just waiting to be discovered by you!

heather - i'm so glad you were able to return the bag, and just fyi, the purse doesn't have the extra straps because the handles are supposed to be long enough to be carried on the shoulder

roccos - congrats on the wallet

smallfry - that is an amazing color, just beautiful!

abby - thanks for the barneys report

durbs - so what did you decide???

17-01-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb415
spiralsnow- I bought that magazine myself today! I love it because it seems like a lot of the girls in there are wearing balenciaga bags.
beb415- can you tell me the name of the magazine you are referring to w/ all the Bbags? Thanks!!

17-01-2006
backstage pass

thanks for the report, abby!

17-01-2006
trendsetter

Does Barneys NYC carry the purse style? I called once and the SA said they did not... (but does not necessarily mean they do not...) I am curious as to whether the purse or shopping styles are available outside of Bal NY and AR. I would like to evaluate these styles IRL...

17-01-2006
trendsetter

pointie: fake.

17-01-2006
front row

Abby, thanks for taking inventory! Did you notice how the Day Calcaires looked? If any of them were soft, distressed and matte? Ours wasn't sure what the day/hobo was and asked if that was the one that looks like a potato sack. I said yes (even though I wasn't sure), but she described what I think was Ink (as dark purple) as one of the day bags available. About a week ago, BNY had a Days in Ink also. I wish there were more lilacs around for some more opinions on it...it seems so elusive.

17-01-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmom
durbs - so what did you decide???
I'm absolutely paralyzed! I can't come to a decision....it's making me crazy. I tried to distract myself by bidding on a Fendi Spy for the first time, but it didn't work. TWIGGY....TWIGGY...TWIGGY...TWIGGY...is still pounding in my skull. I guess I've narrowed my decision between the Taupe and Olive....for now. I can get the Taupe for about $100 more than the Olive and for about the same price as a Bordeaux. I know price shouldn't be the determining factor, but I'm such a bargain hunter....it's totally skewing my judgment. Then again, maybe I should let a random variable like this make my decision for me????? I wish I could see/touch them side-by-side (the perpetual B-bag dilemma). I just really don't remember what the Taupe looks like in person. I've seen both an Olive and Bordeaux recently, but I haven't seen a Taupe IRL for ages! For those who know, is it very brownish or more grey?

By the way, for all those following my drama, I finally received my Teal Office...a month late. When I finally opened the box (a moment that I had been anticipating for what felt like a millennium) I nearly cried. The bag was covered in minor scratches and completely smushed. Then, under closer inspection, I saw what looked like a huge stain on one of the front panels, right below the zipper I was mortified. Of course, any normal human being would never notice such a thing, but I couldn't help but notice the variation in color from one panel to the next. Upon touching the bag, I could tell that it was noticeably rougher in one perfectly round spot (probably where the foreign substance hit the bag). My guess is that the previous owner spilled something nefarious on the bag and then proceeded to rub it around until the stain more or less disappeared and looked like part of the bag's natural distressing. But, of course, my hawk eyes picked it up!

Needless to say, after a few moments of initial panic and a stern email to the seller, I whipped out my Apple Leather Conditioner and went to work...on the entire surface of the bag. On extra tough parts, I used my Mulberry Leather Nourisher, which is super amazing but hard to come by (since only a tiny pot comes with each Mulberry bag--of which I only own one). Anyway, the bag cleaned up nicely, but is still somewhat below my expectations. My boyfriend and best friend and coworkers and the random checkout girl I asked at the supermarket and that guy I stopped on the subway and several mirrors in my apartment swear that the stain isn't visible, but my radar vision can penetrate all flaws!!!!! Thankfully, the seller offered me a substantial refund, which helped me welcome it into the family

Plus, there's something about owning a less-than-perfect bag that puts me a bit more at ease when carrying it. Because I already know its dirty little secret, I feel like I can be less gentle with it, since I'm such a neurotic freak with all my new/immaculate B-bags. Plus, the leather is like an elephant's ear.

Last edited by durbs_girl; 17-01-2006 at 07:40 PM.

17-01-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferchick2
Abby, thanks for taking inventory! Did you notice how the Day Calcaires looked? If any of them were soft, distressed and matte? Ours wasn't sure what the day/hobo was and asked if that was the one that looks like a potato sack. I said yes (even though I wasn't sure), but she described what I think was Ink (as dark purple) as one of the day bags available. About a week ago, BNY had a Days in Ink also. I wish there were more lilacs around for some more opinions on it...it seems so elusive.
There was only one calcaire day bag out. I don't remember how distressed it was. It was soft, and a little shiny. When the SA put took my name down for the ink day, he wrote "feedbag" so maybe that's what they call it there.

Edit: I was totally wishing the whole time I was there that I had a camera phone!

Last edited by abbyroad; 17-01-2006 at 07:41 PM.

17-01-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by durbs_girl
! And, there's something timeless about the Bordeaux, although I find the color to be more conservative and quite similar to my Mahogany City. All this is making me crazy!!!!
Hey durbs, do you have a pic of your Mahogany? I have one that I think is mahogany but not absolutely positive since it was described as brown. It's a very reddish brown. I'm totally jealous you have a 04 lilac.

17-01-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyroad
Just got back from Barneys. I can't remember everything that was in stock, but I'll give it a shot:

I think the reason we have all loved the ink and yet been turned off to some of them is because of the distressing -- the ones that are too distressed tend to look very veiny in the ink because of the color. I was tempted by the calcaire day bag, but I think I'm still going to wait for the ink.
That is exactly what I liked or did not like about some of the spring bags that I saw. The ones that are lessed distressed have less of that vein like marble effect.

Surfer, love the potato sack description.

Durbs, what b-bag trauma! Sounds like it was worth it in the end??? But now such tough decisions on the twiggy! No sleep tonight...

17-01-2006
backstage pass

Ah, Durbs - thank goodness you finally received the bag. I am glad she offered you a substantial refund, so hopefully it ended up being worth it and an even better deal. I am sure no one will notice, and you are right - it will be easier for you to "rough up" if needed

I hope you truly enjoy it, don't let it bother you too much - and if it does, return it!

Quote:
I finally received my Teal Office...a month late. When I finally opened the box (a moment that I had been anticipating for what felt like a millennium) I nearly cried. The bag was covered in minor scratches and completely smushed. Then, under closer inspection, I saw what looked like a huge stain on one of the front panels, right below the zipper I was mortified. Of course, any normal human being would never notice such a thing, but I couldn't help but notice the variation in color from one panel to the next. Upon touching the bag, I could tell that it was noticeably rougher in one perfectly round spot (probably where the foreign substance hit the bag). My guess is that the previous owner spilled something nefarious on the bag and then proceeded to rub it around until the stain more or less disappeared and looked like part of the bag's natural distressing. But, of course, my hawk eyes picked it up!

Needless to say, after a few moments of initial panic and a stern email to the seller, I whipped out my Apple Leather Conditioner and went to work...on the entire surface of the bag. On extra tough parts, I used my Mulberry Leather Nourisher, which is super amazing but hard to come by (since only a tiny pot comes with each Mulberry bag--of which I only own one). Anyway, the bag cleaned up nicely, but is still somewhat below my expectations. My boyfriend and best friend and coworkers and the random checkout girl I asked at the supermarket and that guy I stopped on the subway and several mirrors in my apartment swear that the stain isn't visible, but my radar vision can penetrate all flaws!!!!! Thankfully, the seller offered me a substantial refund, which helped me welcome it into the family

Plus, there's something about owning a less-than-perfect bag that puts me a bit more at ease when carrying it. Because I already know its dirty little secret, I feel like I can be less gentle with it, since I'm such a neurotic freak with all my new/immaculate B-bags. Plus, the leather is like an elephant's ear.

17-01-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByMiMi
..oh and Heather, I am so happy that they returned your pony without a problem, did you already find a leather bbag that you loved? What are you getting?!?!
Since this is my first I decided to stay conservative and go with a first bag in the basic black. What's bad is that I'm already planning my next purchase. I want to go bolder and bigger with the next one. Barneys only had white, black, an olive color, a light pink and a blueish purple color. I aspire to have the collections that I've seen posted here. They are amazing!

17-01-2006
front row

Quote:
I totally agree with this. It's nice to have a bag that I can tote to the gym, in the rain, pretty much anywhere without the fear I have with the immaculate bags. Even so, the unique imperfections don't make the bag any less special than the others...sometimes I think the blemishes add character.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2003, 2009, balenciaga, february, june, thread