How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
13-12-2005
  13501
rising star
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by durbs_girl
The majority of my ever-growing collection (of 12 B bags) is pre-2005, so the leather is divine!
Would you (and others with experience) say that the quality started going down in general during 2005 or is it possible to point to a particular season where there started to be a decline in quality?

It sucks that those of you who have enjoyed the bags for so long are feeling such disappointment. It's also frustrating that the company does not seem to be showing respect to loyal customers.

 
 
13-12-2005
  13502
tfs star
 
Greendrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Louisville, KY
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,584
drchris, I would say that the quality really took a nosedive for F/W 05. I have a black twiggy from S/S 05 that has the thick leather, and other tfs'ers reported the same.

 
13-12-2005
  13503
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,201
I think we've all read that Balenciaga needs to rescue itself financially, or it risks being cut loose or shut down by whatever conglomerate owns it. I'm sure the accessories line is seen as a way to generate cash without additional expense - the designs are there, the marketing is self-generating, the only thing they have do is keep coming up with colors. I'm guessing that customer loyalty is not really an issue in this area - customer quantity is more important. (Loyalty is for couture...) Doesn't it seem like many design houses go through these phases where they're just pushing product, then they realize they're damaging their brand, and pull back and rehabilitate, and then they need money again...

 
13-12-2005
  13504
tfs star
 
BalBabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by durbs_girl
BalBabe, you and I definitely see eye to eye! What you've written today is precisely what I've been ranting and raving about since I joined the forum. The one thing that sets us apart is the fact that I can't seem to part with my bags!!!!! I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite The majority of my ever-growing collection (of 12 B bags) is pre-2005, so the leather is divine! But, I find myself obssessed with the new colors, particularly the Magenta. I couldn't resist the temptation. However, there's NO WAY I'll buy anymore new Balenciagas. There, I've put it in writing. My frustration with the over-producation and deteriorating quality of the bags, combined with the suffocating proliferation of fakes, has definitely diminished my love for the bags. I still manage to feel joy when I carry the bags I currently own, but my desire to acquire more has definitely left me. For a girl who has been collecting Balenciagas since the first season, this is a very sad realization

I've already taken pictures of several of my beauties. They're going up for auction, ladies. I'm finally letting go...
It was hard putting them up for sale. I sold them very slowly. I had an indigo classique that I just adored - actually, the leather on that was incredible but I let it go. After I sold that, I knew I made a mistake but there was nothing I could do. That was probably the most amazing bag I've ever owned - color/shape/size/leather. It was only used 2 or 3 times and was always in my lap or it's own seat. The person who bought that one got an amazing bag at a very good price. I sold others and then the last was my magenta - SIGH! Magenta is just such an incredible color but the quality is not there - not there at all and I figured I'd get back what I put into it before that wouldn't be possible.

I believe that people are starting to get really disheartened with B Bags and they're going to look for alternatives. Once that happens, it will be very hard for Balenciaga to lure their customers back in. Too bad for them!

 
13-12-2005
  13505
tfs star
 
BalBabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiseyPeasey
I think we've all read that Balenciaga needs to rescue itself financially, or it risks being cut loose or shut down by whatever conglomerate owns it. I'm sure the accessories line is seen as a way to generate cash without additional expense - the designs are there, the marketing is self-generating, the only thing they have do is keep coming up with colors. I'm guessing that customer loyalty is not really an issue in this area - customer quantity is more important. (Loyalty is for couture...) Doesn't it seem like many design houses go through these phases where they're just pushing product, then they realize they're damaging their brand, and pull back and rehabilitate, and then they need money again...
I think other brands try different things with their accessories but the successful houses don't let quality suffer. They put out their duds, realize what works for them and stick to it. It's all trial and error but quality should never, ever suffer - not on a bag that costs over $1k.

There's an article on Balenciaga somewhere in which NG says that he has a certain amount of time to get Balenciaga back on track. It said that he was generating a lot of the much needed revenue through accessories - mainly bags. He also did state that marketing to him was sending free bags to celebrities. So Nichole Richie, the Hiltons, the Olsens and on and on and on are carrying around free bags while we pay the money to carry crap. If their bags stretch out of shape, tear, gets marks on them, they don't care, they can others or they can just throw them away - UGH, makes me angry .

 
13-12-2005
  13506
tfs star
 
BalBabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchris
Would you (and others with experience) say that the quality started going down in general during 2005 or is it possible to point to a particular season where there started to be a decline in quality?

It sucks that those of you who have enjoyed the bags for so long are feeling such disappointment. It's also frustrating that the company does not seem to be showing respect to loyal customers.
The company won't show their customers its much needed respect until people stop buying the bags.

 
13-12-2005
  13507
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by durbs_girl
I don't know of any other high-end designer that would let such flaws slide on a $1200 bag. I know I've commented on this issue before, but putting my bags side-by-side really brought it home for me.
I've heard similar complaints about other high-end bags by Fendi and Chloe - so Balenciaga is not alon in this. I think the only high end designers I don't hear complaints about is Louis Vuitton and Chanel.

However, we have all contributed to this problem by keeping bags that are sub-par rather than returning them. Even if you ordered from Balenciaga NY - you can just sit on the credit until you get a bag that is decent quality.

 
13-12-2005
  13508
backstage pass
 
DaraKaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Gender: femme
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalBabe

I had an indigo classique that I just adored - actually, the leather on that was incredible but I let it go. After I sold that, I knew I made a mistake but there was nothing I could do. That was probably the most amazing bag I've ever owned - color/shape/size/leather. It was only used 2 or 3 times and was always in my lap or it's own seat. The person who bought that one got an amazing bag at a very good price.

Ohhhh Balbabe, i wonder who that lucky BEAUTIFUL person was?
Anyway, You are right, honestly the indigo and another classique I own are the best bags I own from balenciaga regarding the leather and color. I seem to find the original classiques are the best, I mean that is what started the whole craze!

The leather is literally butter soft and so squishy. The indigo was always my fave color. The black is just great also. It is so disheartening that the quality is not up to par any longer. These bags used to truley be a piece of artwork.

I refuse to pay these prices in the future for bags that have decreased in quality so much, which is so sad because I still do absolutley love them.

The only nice surprise was the calcaire twiggy, the leather is amazing and distressing is perfect. Which goes to show you its all in quality control, they have the means to make great bags but they dont care becasue they are making so much in revenue right now.

I dont even use my pewter city becasue I am too scared from the horror stories i have heard about the metallic wearing off.

ugh!!

 
13-12-2005
  13509
backstage pass
 
La Vanguardia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Europe
Gender: femme
Posts: 914
I never had a problem with the leather on my bag ... I also have a metallic brown / bronze and I carry it all the time and never had a problem.

 
13-12-2005
  13510
backstage pass
 
DaraKaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Gender: femme
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by circoit
I've heard similar complaints about other high-end bags by Fendi and Chloe - so Balenciaga is not alon in this. I think the only high end designers I don't hear complaints about is Louis Vuitton and Chanel.

However, we have all contributed to this problem by keeping bags that are sub-par rather than returning them. Even if you ordered from Balenciaga NY - you can just sit on the credit until you get a bag that is decent quality.
Circ I agree with you! We are partly to blame! WE are still spending so much money on these poor(er) quality bags. But I am done now...

You are right, chloe is also haveing this problem and with a 1500$ bag, the paddingtons peeling locks and such!

 
13-12-2005
  13511
backstage pass
 
La Vanguardia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Europe
Gender: femme
Posts: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiseyPeasey
durbs_girl, I've been watching danielleboutique as well, and I've seen at least one certain fake. And yes, that horizontal card seems to come with metallics - somewhere on this thread I pasted the text of it. It's about how the metallic finish will inevitably wear off and this should be considered a feature, not a bug.
Regarding the extra horizontal card, I bought a metallic at the Balenciaga store in Paris and didn't come with an extra card.

 
13-12-2005
  13512
V.I.P.
 
Guessgirl96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cleveland
Gender: femme
Posts: 9,528
dubs girl -- You said you were looking for a magenta but didn't want the new icky leather. The magenta still uses the nice soft leather

I'm surprised balenciaga was loosing money, the bags were selling like crazy and their shoes go pretty quickly too. I was looking for the gladiator balenciagas last summer and they were nowhere to be found. Hopfully LP is right that they'll increase their quality again sometime. Any guesses when?

It's true chloe and fendi are having these problems too which I think is ridiculous for such expenisve bags, but at least they're not going down with their quality and purposley making the bags worse while keeping the price the same.

I got my apple green city today too. It's used but still awesome. A piece of cardboard compleltley straightened out the sagging bottom


Last edited by Guessgirl96; 13-12-2005 at 04:20 PM.
 
13-12-2005
  13513
front row
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 474
Perhaps the best magentas are similar to to the worst (or mediocre) of the older leather, becaise they're not the same as any old leather b-bags I have. Not close, really. I only have pre FW/05's left as well.

 
13-12-2005
  13514
front row
 
findesiecle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiseyPeasey
I think we've all read that Balenciaga needs to rescue itself financially, or it risks being cut loose or shut down by whatever conglomerate owns it. I'm sure the accessories line is seen as a way to generate cash without additional expense - the designs are there, the marketing is self-generating, the only thing they have do is keep coming up with colors. I'm guessing that customer loyalty is not really an issue in this area - customer quantity is more important. (Loyalty is for couture...) Doesn't it seem like many design houses go through these phases where they're just pushing product, then they realize they're damaging their brand, and pull back and rehabilitate, and then they need money again...
I think Balenciaga's really suffering though. Last season, they started a cheaper pants line and I remember an SA telling me that they were going to introduce another diffusion line. I was checking out the pre s/s and s/s clothing the other day and was surprised to see that some pieces were quite affordable given Balenciaga's usual price tags. It seems to me that they're trying desperately to generate profit from the clothes and until this happens, I fear they won't be able to stop banking on the popurality of the bags.

 
13-12-2005
  13515
backstage pass
 
DaraKaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Gender: femme
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Vanguardia
Regarding the extra horizontal card, I bought a metallic at the Balenciaga store in Paris and didn't come with an extra card.

I bought mine at barneys and it did come with one. It just depends I guess.


Last edited by DaraKaye; 13-12-2005 at 06:04 PM.
 
Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2003, 2009, balenciaga, february, june, thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.