How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

04-01-2006
front row

I think it depends how much bling you want. I haven't seen them in person, but the silver seems to have so much more bling.

Cheers, Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Vanguardia
Now that I see more pictures of this eBay item, I'm now in a very hard decision between Pewter First or Silver Box.

Help!

Which color would match more with other colors?

04-01-2006
rising star

Quote:
Now that I see more pictures of this eBay item, I'm now in a very hard decision between Pewter First or Silver Box.

Help!

LV, I've had a secret crush on the old pewter for a long, long time. Personally, the silver reminds me of some fake bags I've seen because it appears less leather-like, for some reason. I think the pewter, especially the old pewter, has more depth and texture. I would probably get the bag myself, except that it's a bit too pricey for a used bag, IMO. Do you already have a First? If not, definitely go for the pewter, since you already have a Box. A silver First just pooped up, too, if you're interested in that option.

04-01-2006
backstage pass

My friend's theory is that when it wears down, the silver might look less shiny. I guess it also depends on the light. Now that I see the comparisons that Louisey showed in the picture, isn't the pewter a bit dark? Or is the holiday pewter lighter?

04-01-2006
backstage pass

I already have a First, it's just a bit tiny and can't hold much.

Does the old pewter match with a lot of colors? Is it lighter than the 2005 pewter?

04-01-2006
front row

Ooops, too late! Someone just hit the "buy it now".

Cheers, Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by durbs_girl
LV, I've had a secret crush on the old pewter for a long, long time. Personally, the silver reminds me of some fake bags I've seen because it appears less leather-like, for some reason. I think the pewter, especially the old pewter, has more depth and texture. I would probably get the bag myself, except that it's a bit too pricey for a used bag, IMO. Do you already have a First? If not, definitely go for the pewter, since you already have a Box. A silver First just pooped up, too, if you're interested in that option.

04-01-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by designme
Wow! This board is moving right along! I've got to catch up. Sounds like a big buzz on the metallics.

I've got a very slight concern on my calcaire twiggy. I'm not sure if I can explain this clearly but you know the shoulder strap and how it loops around that oblong ring and the leather doesn't really overlap? Well it does but where the leather ends, it tapers in thickness so when it is sewn or glued down (or however Balenciaga does it) it appears to be in uniform thickness. Well this tapered end has split away slightly so you can see the seam. Urgh, I'm not sure if I'm explaining this right. But on a lot of fake ones, you can see on the shoulder strap how the leather totally overlaps, creating bulk.

I'm not concerned that it will split apart because it is sewn down but I'm just being anal. Has anyone noticed that on any of their bags with shoulder straps? Your thoughts would be appreciated!
designme...I have noticed that the end isn't always perfect on the straps. On one of my bags, I actually glued down the end because it was sticking up. The straps are one place where it seems that QC is lacking.

04-01-2006
backstage pass

Congrats Sunspark!!! I guess I'm off to the silver BOx hahaha!

04-01-2006
front row

Next time I'll go for the hobo. I'm just owrried it might be too long. I don't reallycarry much in my bag, but I like my hands free. Oh well, I hadn't owned a first yet...

Cheers, Carolyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by durbs_girl
Sunspark, I think the bag is authentic, but I agree with La Van. I don't think the First is meant to be worn as an everyday "shoulder" bag. I use it as a hand-held and sometimes use the strap, but it's not very flattering when worn with the strap. I can actually get the handles over my shoulder, but most of the bag disappears under my arm, and I'm a size 4. The City is better for shoulder carriage, if you're not wearing a jacket. But, to be completely honest, the Day/Hobo and the Purse are probably your best bets if you're looking for a bag you can always carry on your shoulder. I find that with both my First and City styles, I prefer them dangling on my arm

04-01-2006
backstage pass

Sunspark, what a great discussion on our experiences with this pewter :p I assume you got it, right?

I guess it was not meant for me!

04-01-2006
backstage pass

i can't believe it happened again today!

congrats to april, jelly & kimair - i can't wait to see photos!

mammab - i'm so glad you're keeping the calclaire, i love that color so much, i think it looks amazing with the hardware, i'm so happy to be living vicariously through your bag! (and re: bobellis, i got the chocolate roxy, they still have it in the blenheim, i know you're hoping for the oak but it's such a good price)

lavan & sunspark - i know what you mean about the pewter, i love it too, but that seller seems like such a *$#@! i hate to see you give her any money!

and last but not least, re: husbands, i usually go for the "oh this, it's so old i just haven't worn it in such a long time" or the less successful "it was such a good sale" (to which he usually responds "oh of course, then you just had to buy it" in a very sarcastic tone)!

04-01-2006
backstage pass

Funny because at first I thought I had my heart set out to this pewter, but now that you got it, I don't feel heartbroken!

04-01-2006
backstage pass

Tomorrow, I'll call Balenciaga in Paris and inquire about the silver again ... then, if I get it, I'll take to my honeymoon in Japan in 2 weeks

04-01-2006
backstage pass

Quote:

Help!

Hi La Vanguardia! I have seen both of these colors in person and they are both gorgeous. The silver is more like the matte side of aluminum foil. The pewter has almost a pink cast to it. As far as the style, the box is my favorite.

I don't know if they will still be available, but weeks ago I got a call from my SA at Jeffreys NY - they had just gotten in the box in all the fall metallics. Ask for Marell...he is SO sweet! Let me know if you need me to look up their phone number.

I don't think you can go wrong with either color, they are both very versatile

04-01-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Funny because at first I thought I had my heart set out to this pewter, but now that you got it, I don't feel heartbroken!
i truly believe these things are meant to be so i am sure there must be another better bag out there just waiting to be discovered by you!

eta - and congrats! just saw your post about your honeymoon!

Last edited by nycmom; 04-01-2006 at 05:58 PM.

04-01-2006
front row

And congrats to you too Well, we had a productive afternoon now, didn't we?

(dh seeing the cc bill!)

Cheers, Carolyn
Quote:
Congrats Sunspark!!! I guess I'm off to the silver BOx hahaha!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2003, 2009, balenciaga, february, june, thread