How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-01-2007
trendsetter

You should take before and after pictures of the bag. I would love to see how it comes out.

24-01-2007
offline.

I'm afraid that airbrushing gold paint over your silver hardware will just end up in you having chipping paint after a while.

I really really really reccommend you don't do this. At least not on a bag you care about.

Why don't you take yourself to Lowes, or a home improvement store, pick up a steel ring, spraypaint it with something and see how you like it first.

But I really think the spraypaing thing won't work... your best bet is to take the bag to a professional and have the hardware replaced to gold hardware.

Last edited by Luna; 24-01-2007 at 10:04 AM.
24-01-2007
trendsetter

Thanks Luna: I don't really mind the chipping paint..i guess.. as then i can just have it done again, i would imagine it not being very expensive either.

I'm just lost about where to go to get the hardware removed?? I have no idea.. AND removing the hardware might leave holes in the bag that can't be fixed they can't know for sure can they?

Last edited by just_me; 24-01-2007 at 10:13 AM.
24-01-2007
tea time

could you not use car spray paint? as its used for covering metals.

its easy enough to find in halfords.

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
24-01-2007
offline.

If you spray it, just make sure you test it out on another similar piece of metal that isnt' attached to the bag, just so you can see.

good luck on the hardware makeover!

24-01-2007
trendsetter

I will test it out first Luna.. thanks for the advice! =D

Eleganc
e: Do you really think car spray would be better?? Do you know of a good brand.. I don't want it to look too much of that old brassy colour you usually get from spraying.. a nice gold.

Any suggestions?

24-01-2007
offline.

I would try going to a hobby shop that sells paints and things that are used to spray model cars, etc.

There's one near my boyfriends house... it's a real Mom and Pop type of place.

24-01-2007
trendsetter

lol... looks like I really need to test out a lot of sprays to get it right. Sounds a bit boring, but I'm willing to do it..

Luna
you seem to know a lot about bags.. what's your opinion? How will it look like? Tell me if you honsetly think it's going to look like s**t!

24-01-2007
trendsetter

Is this one gold?

It says it sprays on metal..

http://www.heritage-homeandgarden.co...oducts_id=2653

24-01-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna
I'm afraid that airbrushing gold paint over your silver hardware will just end up in you having chipping paint after a while.

I really really really reccommend you don't do this. At least not on a bag you care about.

Why don't you take yourself to Lowes, or a home improvement store, pick up a steel ring, spraypaint it with something and see how you like it first.

But I really think the spraypaing thing won't work... your best bet is to take the bag to a professional and have the hardware replaced to gold hardware.
I would agree with Luna as the end product is not going to be something you are going to be happy with -- and it won't be durable.

If the bag is worth money, sell it on EBAY and buy another bag that you like more because I honestly can't see how a bag with a flaking paint job is going to be something that you are going to be happy with.

If the bag isn't worth money, cut your losses and buy another bag you like better.

I have never done this to a bag but I have altered clothing when I lost a lot of weight weight -- and all of the stuff just turned out to be "wrong" and I wound up never using it. I should have just donated the clothing to charity and saved the tailor fees.

24-01-2007
trendsetter

well.. sometimes is not about the money.. if I want a new bag i'd buy it.

Yes this bag is worth a lot of money only a certain number of bags were made, it's a limited edition fendi.. and it was given to me by a special friend, so I have a lot of connection with the bag, I love it so much i just really wish the hardware was gold.

24-01-2007
More Old Skool Than You

The thread title got my attention. I used to do custom paint on cars. Car paint woun't work, because it'll eventually wear off, just because of the nature of hardware. It'll always be rubbing on something. The only option worth doing is the electroplating, and you'll have to take your hardware off and take it/ship it to a metal shop for work.

http://www.artisanplating.com/

EDIT: Even gold plate wears off too. Gold is a soft metal, you'd be better off brassing it.

Last edited by fourboltmain; 24-01-2007 at 03:07 PM.
24-01-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_me
well.. sometimes is not about the money.. if I want a new bag i'd buy it.

Yes this bag is worth a lot of money only a certain number of bags were made, it's a limited edition fendi.. and it was given to me by a special friend, so I have a lot of connection with the bag, I love it so much i just really wish the hardware was gold.
In that case you really don't want to mess around with spray painting the hardware because you will want up with a bag that looks like crap.

Take it to an electroplating company AND a good shoemaker to find out if the hardware can be removed and replaced. That is the ONLY possible option that won't leave you with a sad looking purse -- and as another poster pointed out, eventually the hardware plate might come off -- but that's a different issue.

24-01-2007
trendsetter

If I have it sprayed I don't really care about chippinhg as it can easy be sprayed on again.

So a shoemaker is where I could ask to have the hardware removed? And then do a brassy gold.. it does sound mch better.

fourboltmain thanks so much for very valid ponts.. i might do it in a brassy gold..

I much rather have this bag, and make it into my absolute dream bag than just selling it.

24-01-2007
offline.

It might take a lot of work, but if the shoemaker or whoever you take it to can do it... definitely the electroplating process is the best way to go... Can we get a picture of the bag in question? I'm so curious. lol..

honestly, spraypay wont' give you a good shine... you'll probably end up with something dull that "kind of looks like gold hardware".. yes, spraying it will make it look like crap to be honest.

Removing hardware is possible... (but it's not easy)... I've had to take a few bags apart that I've made... removing rivets is NOT fun... and removing stitches and replacing them is even harder, but it's do-able... for a price, ya know?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bag, gold, hardware, plate