How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-01-2007
offline.

and if you show me a pic of this bag.. I might be able to tell you how hard of a job it would be.

25-01-2007
trendsetter

I don't have a picture but tried to look after one on the net.. it has a closure.. hard to explain.

Thanks for all the advice.. I'll see this weekend what can/can't be done.

So if I am to have it gold plated.. I have had rings done before.. the color fades.. is a brassy color the best way to go?

25-01-2007
101st monkey airborne

Electroplating involves dipping the metal to be plated in an acid bath with an electric charge being conducted through it. It's usually HCl--hydrochloric acid--and it would eat the hell out of the leather.

Howabout gold leaf? I gold leafed my ears once, and it was smashing. No acid bath to deal with at all...

trendsetter

Really?? It would eat the leather?? 8* Are you serious.. even if I take the hardware off have it gold plated and put it back? Can you please explain what you mean?

ANd what is gold leaf? I'm sorry.. I don't know.. thanks for your advice babe!

25-01-2007
101st monkey airborne

Oh, it'll be fine if you take the hardware off first--not if you dunk the whole purse. Gold leaf is really flat, microns thin, sheets of gold--you use it with glue and a top sealer--you'd find it in good art supply stores. Bits of it are in Goldschlager schnapps and in some J'adore perfume I've seen. Also on cakes and chocolates and woodworking and intaglio prints...and ears.

Last edited by mellowdrama; 25-01-2007 at 02:06 AM.
25-01-2007
Meg
inspired contemplation

^
thats why i think it may be worth it to see if you can find some theatre people in the west end. They may have other ideas or else understand how to use specific paints to get what you want since they will be used to that sort of thing. Not that it's as good as the electroplating but it might be interesting to see if they can suggest something

25-01-2007
trendsetter

thanks sooo much for your advice, I will go to the West End like you said Meg and see what can be done.. hopefully they won't laugh at me..

you have all been so sweet many good ideas.

26-01-2007
trendsetter

So.. one question ahgain, lol: If I get the hardware electroplated what is the best colour to describe the colour I want as??

Like I said I have gold plated rings, and they looked silver again after a couple of months..

What to do? Someone said to get a more brassy colour because gold will fade, does everyone agree?

I really want gold.

26-01-2007
101st monkey airborne

^Gold plate rubs off, gold is soft--you could have it plated really thickly ($$$) or see if there's some sort of alloy/brass that would still be gold in color but more durable than actual gold. I dunno all the fine points of professional electroplating, but research elsewhere, and I'm sure there'll be a solution!

trendsetter

Thanks mellowdrama.. you have been very helpful in what I'm going to ask for! =D

27-01-2007
trendsetter

I'm kinda late to the discussion, but there is a kind of gold plating that does not involve vats - it's a semi-portable machine that uses a sort of "wand" to apply the gold - it's used a lot to gold-plate the silver decorative bits on cars without removing them - they mask the area around the thing to be plated to protect it, then rub the wand thingie over the part to be plated - it can be done in multiple layers to make it more durable. You might look for people that do custom treatments to cars and see if you can find someone that has one of these things?

The thing that would most worry me about removing the hardware then replacing it is if there's stitching involved - in my experience, unless the shop that is doing the work is very careful and experienced, the resulting stitching will not be attractive - it will be obvious that the bag has been restitched.

27-01-2007
trendsetter

I will keep that in mind.. seems like I have to be all over the place today! *phew*

Also, when gold plating.. can I ask for different shades of gold? I gold plated rings before and then it came out this really shiny gold which I don't like.. if they mix brass with gold will that make it less shiny?

It's hard to explain but do you get what I mean? lol.

27-01-2007
backstage pass

Use sandpaper to buff up the surface, then paint on a couple of thin layers of gold leaf. Top it off with a sealant, and you're set!

28-01-2007
trendsetter

What exactly is gold leaf? Care to explain.. is it hard getting a right shade of gold..

I went a few places yesterday.. most of them said no.. :/

28-01-2007
101st monkey airborne

I've never seen liquid gold leaf. The gold leaf I have is like very thin sheets of paper in a little book. If you buy genuine 24k gold leaf, it will be a bright yellow gold. If you get imitation gold leaf, there's a better chance it will look the brassy shade you desire. The gold leaf I have looks like this picture here. I bought it at Flax in San Francisco:

http://www.verostko.com/pathway/gold-leaf-w.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold-leaf-w.jpg (71.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by mellowdrama; 28-01-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bag, gold, hardware, plate