How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-01-2007
101st monkey airborne

Apparently there is liquid gold leaf, though, however. If you type in "gold leaf" on the search bar in the Flax link above, it shows the product ibimus mentions. It might be easier to get a smoother appearance with the liquid leaf rather than the traditional foil kind.

29-01-2007
offline.

I've worked with liquid gold leaf before... chances are it will probably dull, chip, or fade...

but you might want to give it a test

29-01-2007
V.I.P.

yes, i dont think goldleaf would last....it's a sensitive thing and can rub off with wear....wow this one one interesting thread!

to dip the hardware, they'd most likely have to remove it and many hardware on bags is applied so it is not removable. they use heavy duty machines to rivet and put in place hardware such as rivets, plaques, studs and plates, and usually the removal of it makes it impossible to reconstruct. i think the best bet is that car detailing thinga-majig...

www.thegirllovesmj.blogspot.com
30-01-2007
trendsetter

So apparantly it can't be done because the gold would not hold on that kind of steel. It's really sad for me I really wanted to have this done, I even fond someone that could remove the hardware.

30-01-2007
V.I.P.

hmm so im assuming perhaps it was brass plated steel or something then? i know some metals cant go over others too.....so maybe that was the issue. so sorry just_me

www.thegirllovesmj.blogspot.com
30-01-2007
101st monkey airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_me
So apparantly it can't be done because the gold would not hold on that kind of steel. It's really sad for me I really wanted to have this done, I even fond someone that could remove the hardware.
Well, you could always have molds of the hardware recast in brass using the lost-wax method...

backstage pass

Gold leaf is great stuff, but you do have to shellac (coat it with a clear glaze. Shellac, or whatever you prefer.) to ensure it will last.

I'd suggest going with the liquid gold leaf. I've used it many times, and it has a good result. The liquid is a little bit darker and brassier than the sheets.

30-01-2007
trendsetter

So what exactly is a liquid gold leaf? Where can I go to have it done? And given that it is for the hardware of a bag..will it look OK?

I don't think i will gold spray the hardware.

30-01-2007
backstage pass

Liquid gold leaf is just gold leaf, but in liquid form. It's a kind of paint.

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/...f-Exterior.htm

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...ductNum=cp0228

Haven't had any experience with this one, but it looks interesting.
http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/cat...m?cata_id=2471

http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/cat...m?cata_id=2476

Anyway, liquid gold leaf is essentially a fancy, smelly paint. (it reeks beyond belief. Be sure to do this project outside!)
I think I mentioned it earlier, but I'll say it again: you will have to use sandpaper to rough up the hardware on your bag, otherwise the paint probably won't stick. (use a fine-grade sandpaper. You just need a little bit of texture.)

If you use a high quality brush, and leave a few brush strokes as possible, it should look fine! You could always try a test run on a junky bag first.

30-01-2007
trendsetter

ok thanks! Will anyone do this.. I'm scared of doing it myself, then I don't have anyone else to blame..lol.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bag, gold, hardware, plate