How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-08-2003
retro queen

Thanks everyone!

How have you been going with it cjseattle?

26-08-2003
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Oh Charlotte I love those bags! So unique with the bamboo like that

retro queen

Thanks Belowen!

You've all inspired me to make some more.

22-02-2004
backstage pass

Handmade Handbags
Have any of you designed or created your own bag before?

22-02-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Yup. Several times.

I had this awesome backpack in highschool that was a pretty brown/rust/olive/maroon/cream paisley with fake leather trim. The fake leather went all to hell on me, so I salvaged the tapestry fabric and made an envelope bag, and made a new strap for it out of satin cords and tassels (for upholstery and draperies). I used a home-made frog arrangement for closing the flap of the purse. That was my first ever home-made bag.

More recently, I made a backpack out of an old jean skirt that always looked like crap on me and was hard to walk in because it was too straight, too long, and didn't have a vent or any kick pleats. I installed a zipper inside of the waistband, so that the top of the bag could zip shut. Then I sewed the hem of the skirt shut. Using four cheapie webbing belts, I put one around the bottom, so I could buckle the bottom of the bag around my waist to keep it from slipping when I was on my bike. I put one through the belt-loops as the skirt, just because it was cute, then I used the other two for the shoulder straps. I sewed the blunt end of the belt to the top waistband of the bag, and the end with the d-rings is loose at the bottom and threads through the bottom belt, so I can adjust it. It is hard to explain. When I get new batteries for my camera, I will have to show y'all. It is actually pretty cool.

I made a little wrist-strap evening bag to use when my husband and I got married, because I knew I needed to have a few things to hand (sunscreen, lip balm, ink pen). We had an outdoor wedding and reception at the end of June, so things were pretty warm and sunny. I used two half-moon shaped pieces of white satin, with grey/peach lace overlaid on them, some 1mm pearl-bead re-embroidery, and a grey, ruched-satin ribbon for the wrist strap. My wedding dress was cream and peach, and it looked pretty nice together. The bag had a drawstring top.

I've got a bag my mom started to make for me, and I am going to finish it. She crocheted it out of brown, orange, and tan yarn (it is concentric rings/stripes of the colors) and is an envelope-style bag, with a long double-strap that ends in a tassel on either side, comprised of 4" pieces of the yarn and some wood and brass beads. The flap of the purse is held shut by a yarn loop and a large wooden button. I'm going to line it in brown satin with a built-in change purse and a zip across the top. I may also make a separate little pochette for makeup and small items that would match the lining.

I have some cool old 1970s patterns for bags and some more contemporary ones that I might have a go at. I have a big piece of black vinyl that is begging to be put to some good use, so we shall see.

backstage pass

I just finished one today. It's a tote from dark blue velvet, the handles are from yellow ribbons.I also attached a yellow rose on it, that I made from strips of fabric that was left over from my skirt. The bag came out quite different from what I had expected, but still lovely

22-02-2004
windowshopping

I made a denim bag when i was in my grunge phase-very tatty looking with keyrings all over it... and in year 10 (when i was 15) of my textiles, i made this 'leaf' bag-if it was better made i would use it. It was meant to be for a felt project so i had to make felt flowers for it, when really i wanted to embroider the flowers I got a D cause i didn't use enough felt but she said she really liked the bag I attatched the pictures of it!

They're pretty rubbish pictures.. the bag's made of green silk and it has green sewn lines as the veins of the leaf - and also the horrible felt flowers

22-02-2004
tfs star

I made a canvas messanger bag one time in Art. The assignment was to draw something on it, or do a pattern of some sort, but the pigments (we used acrylic paint base and added the color ourselves) weren't bright enough for me to be interested. So I printed some black-and-white pictures off the net of some of my favorite Japanese Visual Kei bands and using a mixture of paint base, water, purple pigment and elmers glue I created a lavender-tinted collage on it that wouldn't peel off. Then I sewed the pieces together, had some help attaching the strap and voila! I have the most bitchin' bag in the city!

backstage pass

how cool! I would love to make my own hand bags... it's just a matter of finding time to do it. when and if I do, I'll be sure to post pics

as you like it- I'm excited to see your bag pics

22-02-2004
offline.

The bags in my signature are all made by meeee. (the pics are small to meet this website's standards)

I have more pics if you want to see some of the other bags and accessories i've made. :-D

22-02-2004
stories everywhere

I make bags all the time. I embroidered and beaded a piece of muslin in the shape of a small asian girl wearing knee highs and a grey skirt (cartoon style, not realistic) then sewed it to a suede clutch that i had made earlier that year out of leather scraps. I made that about seven years ago, and I still use it today.

backstage pass

to all,

I'd love to see pictures

23-02-2004
scenester

A Louis Vuitton shaped inspiration. It's bigger, white, and has a big silk flower on it. It took me 2 weeks but I love it. I use it as luggage. Sorry no picture

23-02-2004
offline.

I'm making a (hopefully) awesome bag in my experimental handbags class... I'll post pics of it in the making when I take some tomorrow.

24-02-2004
trendsetter

i saw patterns for making handbags @ the fabric store...suitable for canvas or leather

if you're interested...you should go check out some patterns

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
handbags, handmade