Handmade Handbags - Page 7 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
17-05-2006
offline.

Ugh.. I haven't made a bag in months.. I wonder if I still know how to do it.

17-05-2006
V.I.P.

thanks girls!

spiral~ i'm totally self taught. i started with doll clothes when i was younger, and now i do pretty much everything. a couple of years ago, i took a college sewing class, just to see if i could pick up any tips on proper ways of doing things, but thats pretty much it. i've been trying to improve my construction skills with the handbags though, because i think they are a little more difficult to get everything perfectly seamless. and sewing leather is a bit tedius if you dont have an industrial machine. i did that little baby on a basic singer machine. i was going to use leather needles, but because the lambskin is so delicate, i had to use regular sewing needles. (the leather needles were too big for the leather, and so it's always good to do a test stitch with anything). also, i realized it's best to glue all the pieces together first and then sew them, as lambskin strestches quite a bit. i was going for a bit of a chanelish vibe with the strap, i dont know if it came across, but im pretty happy with it

17-05-2006
V.I.P.

you should make some more luna!

17-05-2006
rising star

Good-looking bag, Jun!

20-05-2006
backstage pass

Girls,

You've inspired me to try to learn how to sew! I went out and bought a sewing machine yesterday ... The lady at the store was really nice when I told her I didn't even know how to turn the machine on and showed me how to wind a bobbin, etc.

Here's my first project ever. It's realllllly rough, I know. I'm hoping to take a class this summer though, it's so fun!

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

20-05-2006
backstage pass

P.S.

Jun -
You're self-taught? I am in total awe... You're truly talented, for real

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
21-05-2006
trendsetter

Oh, after seeing this thread I wanna make my own bag ...But my sewing skills aren't really that good .

21-05-2006
V.I.P.

spiralsnowman! that bag is fantastic for a first timer!!! just keep working on the basics and eventually you'll venture out into more complicated designs and gain tons of knowledge along the way...did you use one of the vogue accessories patterns?

21-05-2006
front row

omg jun i LOVE the lambskin bag!! i sew well... i make clothing and have used almost every fabric i can think of, but have never tried leather before... is it difficult? do you use a machine with a leather needle for the finer, thinner leathers? is a teflon foot necessary? last time i went into manhattan i bought the most beautiful piece of purple suede that i've been dying to get into...

21-05-2006
V.I.P.

depepnding on the leather.....it does make a difference in the type of needles, feet and thread you should use.

so far i have used suedes, pigskin, pebbled leather, thick goatskin, and thin lambskin .

for suedes, you really can just use a regular sewing machine needle....and regular all purpose thread.

pigskin, depending on the thickness, you may need leather needles.... and sometimes topstitching thread works better than regular if it is really thick or stiff.

pebbled leather, use leather needles, a large stitch and topstitching thread.

goatskin is the same as pebbled leather if it is really thick, and for lambskin i used regular size needles and all purpose thread (not topstitching)

i am not sure about the teflon foot, but it would probably be better than a regular one. especially with the lambskin as it stretches A LOT! i used an all purpose craft glue called Fabri-tac to glue the pieces together about 1/8 in from the edge and then my seams were about 1/4". it's nice because it bonds the pieces together to hold while you sew, but if you mess up, it peels off almost like a rubber cement. it is clear and dries clear and fast like a super glue. this helped me to keep the lambskin from slipping and strestching when i was piecing it all together.

for the most part i would say it is trial and error and always mess around on a scrap first to adjust your tension and see how the thread and needle size affect the stitch and strength of the stitch, since each hide is different and sometimes certain colors affect the maluability of the hide. best of luck!!

21-05-2006
V.I.P.

spiral~ BTW how did you do the applique part? is it part of the fabric or is it fused on???

21-05-2006
front row

thanks for your response jun, especially the fabri-tac idea... i know i have some kicking around someplace!! really great idea

21-05-2006
backstage pass

Jun
Thanks so much for the encouragement! I just got 3 books on sewing today, I'm just happy I haven't sewn my fingers together yet...
Are you working on anything right now?

(p.s. The leaf is an iron-on transfer, like people use for t-shirts. You can get
them in the Kids Crafts section at Michael's)

Mistique
A good beginner's book is Making Handbags by Ellen Goldstein and others. Don't worry about your sewing skills, just dive in (and please post pics of your projects, I'd love to see 'em)

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
22-05-2006
trendsetter

Spiralsnowman: Thanks for the tip, I'll go to the library someday and see if they have any books about it. I will post pictures of my projects - if I make any. I have a bad habit of not finishing my projects .

22-05-2006
V.I.P.

right now im lining up stuff to do. i work at a fabric store and so my stash is exploding and i need to make stuff.....a lot of stuff! hahaha.

i have a white lace dress i am almost finished with and also a cream silk brocade cropped jacket i just need to hem. i also have an idea for a waist belt bag, kinda cowgirlish.....after i saw one that was similar at a thrift store. im going to do that one out of pebbled cognac-colored leather. i also have two other bags i have started and need to finish, a black patent leather lambskin one and a woven textured one with handrolled silk roses. i'll take pics of the bags as soon as i finish them, and will wear the jacket or dress while holding the bag so i can sneak those into this forum

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
handbags, handmade