How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-07-2005
front row

i have been asked whether my bag was fake or not. i didn't care much, because like luna said, they were obviously not very well informed. but i do not want people to think i wear fakes. not because i want them to know that i can afford real designer bags, it's just that i'd rather wear a cute no name purse than a fake.

19-07-2005
fashion elite

I can see this happening more with balenciagas than any other bag because they've become so popular and replicated (and the replicas are good). a year ago I never saw a single person with one and now I see a couple a day. and I admit I'm tempted to ask some women if theirs are fakes but only because the colors are so unusual (and since I'm no balenciaga expert I don't know every color they made). but I don't.

19-07-2005
trendsetter

The most replicated one I must say is Louis Vuittin. The fakes are soooo bad though!! I've seen one with WV instead of LV. Haha, I cracked up.

I am half-sick of shadows

Handbags no (not yet) but it has happened with jewellery. I was at a party and was wearing a Chanel cuff bracelet. Quilted black leather and the lock is the interlocking C's. Someone, who I didn't know, asked me if it was "really Chanel"...

20-07-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimair

this guy commented once on my bag...we were out at a kind off grungy bar and i had come straight from work, so i was dressed nicely. he said something about my outfit and then something like, "look at you with your fake marc jacobs bag!" kinda half-joking, but then he looked at it and saw the engraved "marc jacobs" on the buckles and zipper...

you should have seen his face...i didn't even have to say anything...
This man at a grungy bar knew what a Marc Jacobs bag was?

Charles Baudelaire
20-07-2005
Frozen irony.

I love this thread.

I mean, i guess it's o.k as long as they say it in a respectful way and not trying to put you down or anything..

But it's kinda sad i think when you spend that much money on a bag, and you really love it, and are convinced that all the money went towards the superb quality etc. and then some-one comes up to you and asks if it's a fake!

I would kinda let it get to me, because someone says anything about my bags, then it's personal, they are my babies.

20-07-2005
blue

well.. i have a group of friends from middle school....
they are not exactly the most fashionable ppl in the world... and they are not exactly rich... (not that im rich, hell no im not, but ive known them and their families for a long time and lets just say that they are not comfortable in spending that much money on clothes/bags)

so theyve asked me if my lv speedy was real (in a nice way though, i wasnt offended or anything).. they have no clue about designer bags...

and theyve asked me where i got my balenciaga moto...
i was carrying it and we were shopping at this store that had fake balenciagas for display.. they had no idea what balenciaga was.. and they just saw the bag and told me "look they have the same bag as yours where did you get yours from how much was it? "... it was an UGLY *** fake but i really didnt wanna surprise them by saying i paid over 1k for it..
cos in their eyes, obviously, the fake and my real moto looked the same.. so i kinda shrugged and told her that it was my sisters so i didnt know how much it cost..

so yes... ive been asked twice.... but they were my friends.. and they didnt mean to be rude or anything.. they just had no clue.. and i actually didnt wanna tell them the price because i didnt wanna surprise them... so its all good i guess..

V.I.P.

no... because i don't have any designer bags... but once my friend asked my other friend to ask me if my Lacoste polo was a fake.

20-07-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9
well.. i have a group of friends from middle school....
they are not exactly the most fashionable ppl in the world... and they are not exactly rich... (not that im rich, hell no im not, but ive known them and their families for a long time and lets just say that they are not comfortable in spending that much money on clothes/bags)

so theyve asked me if my lv speedy was real (in a nice way though, i wasnt offended or anything).. they have no clue about designer bags...

and theyve asked me where i got my balenciaga moto...
i was carrying it and we were shopping at this store that had fake balenciagas for display.. they had no idea what balenciaga was.. and they just saw the bag and told me "look they have the same bag as yours where did you get yours from how much was it? "... it was an UGLY *** fake but i really didnt wanna surprise them by saying i paid over 1k for it..
cos in their eyes, obviously, the fake and my real moto looked the same.. so i kinda shrugged and told her that it was my sisters so i didnt know how much it cost..

so yes... ive been asked twice.... but they were my friends.. and they didnt mean to be rude or anything.. they just had no clue.. and i actually didnt wanna tell them the price because i didnt wanna surprise them... so its all good i guess..

you could have just told them the price

20-07-2005
Frozen irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoCalledPrep
no... because i don't have any designer bags... but once my friend asked my other friend to ask me if my Lacoste polo was a fake.
... that's kinda.. sad.

20-07-2005
rising star

My good friend asked me if my LV Speedy was fake...I didn't get annoyed with her because she is my friend, she doesn't have a lot money to spend on handbags and she wasn't trying to be rude or anything. The 2nd time I got asked was when I was carrying around my Balenciaga---a girl said "Oh, did you get your bag from Target too? I bought 2 from there!" I did not even know Target made copies of this bag! I know this girl wasn't being rude either but I still felt kinda sad and I only told her "No, I didn't get it from Target." Yesterday I was at Target and saw knock-offs of Chloe Silverados and Balenciagas but they were so poorly made that I didn't feel bad anymore and felt glad that all my hard-earned money had gone to real, well-made bags. Just personal preference I guess. My friends buy knock-offs and that's their choice because they prefer to spend their money on other stuff like nice jewelry and shoes. As for me, I'm just the 'crazy bag lady.'

20-07-2005
fashion insider

Ho ho ho...I've always like to stalk people to determin the authenticity of their designer bags but I have never asked them...I just follow them to get a better view and then escape...it's fun... It's really funny sometime when you see a very unkempt person toting a birkin or something and think they must be carrying a fake but then realize that they probably spend all of their savings on that bag( hence, have no more money to afford makeup and lundary bill)..

20-07-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxie-Pooh
It's really funny sometime when you see a very unkempt person toting a birkin or something and think they must be carrying a fake but then realize that they probably spend all of their savings on that bag( hence, have no more money to afford makeup and lundary bill)..
Foxie, have you been stalking me?

The only "is that fake" question that ever bothered me was about my glasses - I spend a lot on glasses. I put mine down on the table in a conference room, and the person next to me put hers down next to mine and said "look! we have the same glasses!" only hers were from Costco and mine were uber-expensive handmade frames and they didn't look anything alike. Grr! For bags, though, it just doesn't bother me.

20-07-2005
Frozen irony.

Foxie-pooh, i do atmit i stalk people as well!
if im out with my bf, i be like 'look! is that real?! let's follow her!' and then we do and kinda discuss.. this sounds mad.

It is fun.

Though, i would never dare to go up to a stranger and ask if her bag was a fake, it's just not something i would feel was right.

20-07-2005
backstage pass

Not yet anyway. Whenever i see a woman with a designer bag, i usually try to judge the bag's authenticity by the woman's attire. Bad habit im trying to break actually. Since i dont dress up to shop when i carry around my designer bags i try not to judge others the same way.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
asked, bag, designer, fake