How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-07-2005
Frozen irony.

Has anyone ever asked you if your designer bag was a fake??
It has never happen to me, but i do have friends that this has happen too.

I can't believe how rude!

So has this ever happen to you? What did you do? How did you react?

Let's discuss.

19-07-2005
trendsetter

Oh gosh. Yes it has. I didn't get mad or anything, but it was rude in a way. The problem is that there are too many fakes that look almost identical ( but the quality it so crappy ).

fashion elite

ha ha ha... well I have had someone assume my Multicolore Speedy was fake....

Picture it...
Las Vegas 2003
I was at the Sephora in the Dessert Passage Mall at Aladdin, and some Southern looking lady comes up to me

Lady: Where did you get your bag...?
Moi: ...South Coast Plaza, in Orange Cou-...
Lady: Oh, so its real? Sorry I thought it was fake..

I was out of breathe and out of words to say..

It is quite annoying...

offline.

If they have to ask, they're obviously not well informed.. I wouldn't take it to heart so much.

19-07-2005
fashion elite

never and if I was carrying a fake I wouldn't mind if it was phrased like "I love your bag where did you get it" rather than "is your bag a fake". I can't even imagine a total stranger having the nerve to ask the latter. I once asked a woman if her bag was by chloe (it was one of the mesh hobos that I had been looking for and I wanted to find out where she got it) and it turned out to be a no-name bag she bought at macys. no idea if I offended her, but I would hope not.

19-07-2005
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna
If they have to ask, they're obviously not well informed.. I wouldn't take it to heart so much.
exactly. as long as they're not mean or rude and are just ignorant, it's their problem, not yours.

19-07-2005
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGirl
never and if I was carrying a fake I wouldn't mind if it was phrased like "I love your bag where did you get it" rather than "is your bag a fake". I can't even imagine a total stranger having the nerve to ask the latter. I once asked a woman if her bag was by chloe (it was one of the mesh hobos that I had been looking for and I wanted to find out where she got it) and it turned out to be a no-name bag she bought at macys. no idea if I offended her, but I would hope not.
that is actually a compliment I think...

Frozen irony.

"i love your bag, where did you get it?" is not really a thing one would say if you think it was fake, anyway?

Unless it's a monogram Louis Vuitton.

It's like... guess?

19-07-2005
offline.

Well.. I'd never ask someone if anything they were wearing was fake... I'm just a bit more respectful with my words... Telling them you love it and asking where they got it is a bit more courteous.

Whoever had/has the audacity to ask if your bag is fake needs a foot up their a**.

Last edited by Luna; 19-07-2005 at 06:10 PM.
19-07-2005
fashion elite

I hope so! I so love bags and am infinitely curious about bags I see all the time, but I never have the nerve to approach the owner for fear that she won't appreciate the instrusion for one reason or another.

19-07-2005
fashion elite

I only ever received the LOOK(is this real type of thing) from a woman when I was carrying the cambon tote apart from that a lots came on for the paddington lately where most were asking 'Is that a Chloe' bag'.

"Men hate it when their women criticize other females
.....Jealousy get woman nowhere"

19-07-2005
tailored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna
Whoever had/has the audacity to ask if your bag is fake needs a foot up their a**.

this guy commented once on my bag...we were out at a kind off grungy bar and i had come straight from work, so i was dressed nicely. he said something about my outfit and then something like, "look at you with your fake marc jacobs bag!" kinda half-joking, but then he looked at it and saw the engraved "marc jacobs" on the buckles and zipper...

you should have seen his face...i didn't even have to say anything...

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucci_mama
"i love your bag, where did you get it?" is not really a thing one would say if you think it was fake, anyway?

Unless it's a monogram Louis Vuitton.

It's like... guess?
I actually have had a number of people ask me where I got my balenciaga because they have no clue about designer bags and it could be from the gap for all they know. as long as people are nice, I'm always nice back.

and I want to ask people where they got their bags if it's not designer or a designer I don't recognize (happens a lot) or if they're carrying bag that I've been looking for and can't find (like that chloe).

19-07-2005
offline.

I talk to people all the time about bags... i'm a freak.. people must think i have problems... turns out that Bebe bag I got a few months ago.. they also sold a similar bag at Kitson... I looked stupid, but when i asked the girl where she got it... she was nice about it

19-07-2005
backstage pass

Basically no one in my area knows a thing about designer bags, so they would never know to ask if it was fake or not. But one time, I think it was last winter, I did have a girl I talked to sometimes in one of my classes at school ask me if I had gotten my Balenciaga in Chinatown, I guess she had just been to new york and seen knockoffs that looked like it there... I just had a private mental laugh and told her no, it was a gift.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
asked, bag, designer, fake