How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-01-2009
backstage pass

^ Hi Leyla

No you will not have to pay - your bag isn't ready for a "full" spa service yet? - its simply a case of removing the marks. Just show the SA the white marks and explain how they have simply "appeared" on your birkin. If your SA is upfront and experienced, she/he will be familiar with this "problem" and will tell you about all the other customers who've had to get their bags cleaned -as this has been a problem with a lot of togo/clemence bags since beginning of 07. Hopefully, they will try and rush the job through.

I'm currently in Paris and the turn around for me was pretty fast. I am still slightly concerned that after the 2nd cleaning the marks are ghosting up again! However, unless they become very apparent, I plan to hold off bringing my bag in again until I have a buyer for my apartment and know when I will be leaving town (hopefully, in the not too distant future!). I don't know whether or not they can clean in-house in London or any of their other stores or whether all bags need to be sent to the Paris atelier for this.

Please do let me know what your date stamp is? thanks!

22-01-2009
V.I.P.

thanks jane and grill,
the stamp says L
i really need to take it in. maybe tomorrow?

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
24-01-2009
front row

Hmm... so I've been thinking of buying a Birkin for a while now, and thought I'd go the consignment/second-hand (but not eBay) route to save some money and save the trouble of wait lists and all. A reputable consignment store here in NYC had the exact bag I wanted - 30cm in the lighter blue color (I think it's called blue jean, but don't quote me on that), but the price was $8000. That seemed rather close to retail price, but I'm not sure, since I've never bought a Birkin and don't know what retail price is. The sales person assured me it was a "bargain." Is she pulling my leg? I mean, if the retail price is close to $8000, may as well wait a while and get my own brand new one, no?

25-01-2009
front row

Grill, my bag is a "j" stamp. I remember I purchased it in December of that year. The spots started appearing right after I started using it. I've just ignored it since I am always so busy . I hope to make it to the store next week, I couldn't the other day. I read on the other forum about warming it with a blow dryer and gently scraping with a blunt toothpick but I don't think I am that motivated.

Kokopuff, a new 35 in togo is 8950 in the US. A 30 is probably about 500 less. If it's in perfect condition, that's not a horrible price (not a bargain, though) but if it's more than gently loved I'd say it's too much. You have to weigh the pros and cons of waiting for this color and gambling on a price increase. In this economy you are likely to find a new one on the shelf but maybe not this color. There is a new light blue coming into the stores that's really nice, maybe you want to check it out.

25-01-2009
front row

^^ Thanks for your advice, cameo! I'll definitely check out the new color. I'm in no rush, I'll do a lot more research before taking the plunge. Thanks again, and good luck with those white spots!

26-01-2009
backstage pass

koko - Hi there! I agree with Cameo - I this eco climate you'll probably be able to get a blue jean brand new from a H local to you with little trouble. Especially, as you're after the smaller 30 cm bag.

Cameo - I'm sorry to hear that your bag's a "J" stamp and Leyla's an "L". I had been lead to believe that this problem had been limited to "K" bags! Its such a trollmare having these marks especially when you've a dark bag! I'm glad your busy though and not obssessing about the marks like I did!

04-02-2009
trendsetter

Great to see this wonderful thread going and growing!!

04-02-2009
windowshopping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oTtvhqA-KM

a friend forwarded me this video, thought i could share it here with all hermes fans!

24-02-2009
trendsetter

my faves on earth. thanx for video ^^.

25-02-2009
rising star

does anyone know how many sizes and colors does the hermes canvas fourre - tote available?

thanks a lot!!

28-02-2009
backstage pass

ladies, I just have to say how disappointed I am and sorry for you guys that have THE HG of bags ( a crocodile birkin is my HG, but even still just a plain leather birkin or kelly is absolutely top of the line "best bag money can buy" type deal) and you have to resort to these methods of trying to get GLUE marks, etc off of your bag or have them go immediately back to the store for fixes that should never have occured in the first place...all the talk about how their bags are double and triple checked and most likely destroyed if they don't pass inspection...how do glue marks and other faulty EASY fixes get past them? and How come after paying 10,000 bucks and countless years of waiting and not to mention however many other items that you had to purchase to get in good with the SA's...for you to end up with a crap mark that should honestly only be on the fake birkins if it's going to be on anything at all. Hermes is making a killing on their bags, and when you have such a high mark-up, It should be PERFECT...no silly fixable problem that was caused from the very beginning. It's not like a birkin-owner is dragging their bag through the mud. I'm just so sorry to hear this, bc I was always thinking..."one day I"ll get my H" but heck...I would rather take a month long vacation to Tahiti instead of dealing with a problem that should NEVER exist. Some of those upper management people there need to hear an ear-full about these ridiculous problems.

01-03-2009
windowshopping

^^ maybe save your cash for a trip to Tahiti is best.

I think Hermes has problems with a portion of their bags, but a large amount have no problems what so ever.

I would rather buy a Hermes bag and know that for many years down the line any issues can be taken care of than spend £1-2k on an it bag that after 2 seasons is like mush or battered like my chloes, guccis and LV's have been.

It an each to their own situation.

With regards to my wait, the most I have waited for a bag was 1 month for a black clemence birkin with ghw.

02-03-2009
V.I.P.

i STILL havent taken my bag in for glue inspection!!! and it is annoying me now!
i just dont get round to doing it

02-03-2009
backstage pass

littlecoco - depending on where you choose to stay a month long trip to Tahiti could well cost you more than your HG bag - the croc birkin! In 2005, my husband and I took a 2 week vacation to Bora Bora - it was stunning - but the first 5 figure holiday my husband and I had taken, the rooms start at little under 1000 USD per night!

Anyway, that said, I too find it pretty appalling that this glue problem exists but not only that it exists but that it now affects a bags across more than one period of production - years K & L are affected.

Leyla_M - I have another fresh glue mark on my kelly. Small and on the back, but its very existence is annoying, however, I haven't yet taken it in for a re-cleanse. Let me know what happens when you take yours in.

02-03-2009
V.I.P.

grill, what do i haveto tell them?
i just want to get straight to the point when i am there...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
handbag, hermès, thread