How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-04-2004
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Orochian@Apr 24th, 2004 - 1:38 am
Bottega Veneta has a real chance of overtaking Hermes in the leather goods department - overall they have a much stronger portfolio of products, design and quality wise.
I don't think that is so realistic. Does Bottega make every bag by hand? Do they only employ the highest crafters in the world to make their bags? If your bottega bag is in need of repair, do they send it back to the SAME craftsman who made it in the first place? I really don't see how BV can even compete in the Hermes playing field, even if they do offer a nice, high quality product.

24-04-2004
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally posted by chickonspeed@Apr 24th, 2004 - 8:57 am
I love the slouchy shape. It makes it so much more chic!

now that I ADORE!

V.I.P.

bottega venetta wins... for me..
hermes... aint all its cut out to b...

24-04-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by MJCouture+Apr 24th, 2004 - 10:11 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MJCouture @ Apr 24th, 2004 - 10:11 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Orochian@Apr 24th, 2004 - 1:38 am
Bottega Veneta has a real chance of overtaking Hermes in the leather goods department - overall they have a much stronger portfolio of products, design and quality wise.
I don't think that is so realistic. Does Bottega make every bag by hand? Do they only employ the highest crafters in the world to make their bags? If your bottega bag is in need of repair, do they send it back to the SAME craftsman who made it in the first place? I really don't see how BV can even compete in the Hermes playing field, even if they do offer a nice, high quality product. [/b][/quote]
Um, actually, "yes" to all your questions, plus the fact that BV has a much more progressive design philosophy. Gaultier is now at Hermes, but it's a habit of Hermes to exclude its staple leather goods from the duties of its creative director, so I'm expecting few changes in that department.

Did you happen to know anything about BV before shouting our your doubts, btw?

An excerpt from FWD's preview of their fall 2002 collection:

Quote:
Bottega Veneta products are not cheap – its £8080 for the beautiful ‘Vis-à-vis’ red crocodile bag, and £1500 for a standard circular tote in the brands signature basket weave ‘intrecciato’– but that’s the point.

Everything is handmade by their Veneto-based artisans using Chervo deerskin, and crocodile.
Their bags are also almost devoid of hardware, and are so soft they could be rolled up without compromising their structural integrity or harming the materials.

The only advantage Hermes has over BV is its label's strength and heritage - about which I don't give a flying hoot. I'm sure tons of label queens and fashion victims would though, but that's only going to make BV the intelligent insider's choice that it's striving to be.

24-04-2004
V.I.P.

bv is the dogs frikkin bollards
in leather land... i put it at my top
hermes.. is pedestrian compared

24-04-2004
Heated

Quote:
Originally posted by Orochian@Apr 24th, 2004 - 3:32 pm
Did you happen to know anything about BV before shouting our your doubts, btw?
I don't think MJCouture meant to be hostile in any way and certainly didn't warrant a rude response. To be honest, I think many of us were unsure of Bottega's practices. But now thanks to your post, we are aware. Thank you. We could've done without the bitchiness, though.

Quote:
The only advantage Hermes has over BV is its label's strength and heritage - about which I don't give a flying hoot. I'm sure tons of label queens and fashion victims would though, but that's only going to make BV the intelligent insider's choice that it's striving to be.
I'm reluctant to buy into anything labeled as "the intelligent insider's choice." Being a true "insider", though I hate to even refer to it as that, means picking and choosing what works for you, not trying to conjure this smarter-than-thou fashion image. In the end, an "intelligent insider" look can be as contrived and unoriginal in its thought process as Park Avenue Princess or Rich Hippie.

It's a bit silly to get so hostile over a handbag. Ok, you prefer Bottega over Hermes. Fine. That doesn't mean that everyone toting a Birkin is stupid fashion-victim trash. And what would you say about a person that pairs a Bottega wallet with an Hermes bag?

24-04-2004
yes

'woa sistaaaaaa dont b bitchin about no hermes '

24-04-2004
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally posted by chickonspeed@Apr 24th, 2004 - 9:49 pm
I'm reluctant to buy into anything labeled as "the intelligent insider's choice." Being a true "insider", though I hate to even refer to it as that, means picking and choosing what works for you, not trying to conjure this smarter-than-thou fashion image. In the end, an "intelligent insider" look can be as contrived and unoriginal in its thought process as Park Avenue Princess or Rich Hippie.

Clever and down-to-earth as always!

etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by Orochian+Apr 24th, 2004 - 7:38 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orochian @ Apr 24th, 2004 - 7:38 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-brian@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 7:50 pm
I couldn't find any pictures of the Sac Haut (Haute?), but I'm considering getting one of these Hermès bags as my "male Birkin" ...

I also really *love* this messenger style, but I'd want it in a different color.

Those canvas totes and messengers do absolutely nothing for me, I'm afraid [/b][/quote]
i had a look at those quite recently and true they were not on a Hermes level
there was nothing special on those bags, i was eyeing the messenger

Bottega Venetta's latest collection is one of my fave for fw04.05,
no clue regarding BV-Hermes take overs but BV is certainly on the rise
and much worth it too.

on the other hand, i cant see the paraller between the two Houses,
they are different and go out to a different kind of 'target group'

BV is much younger, hermes is much classic with a twist

ps. i didnt like JPG for Hermes

Last edited by Hipkitten; 04-01-2007 at 11:23 AM.
24-04-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by chickonspeed+Apr 24th, 2004 - 3:49 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chickonspeed @ Apr 24th, 2004 - 3:49 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Orochian@Apr 24th, 2004 - 3:32 pm
Did you happen to know anything about BV before shouting our your doubts, btw?*
I don't think MJCouture meant to be hostile in any way and certainly didn't warrant a rude response. To be honest, I think many of us were unsure of Bottega's practices. But now thanks to your post, we are aware. Thank you. We could've done without the bitchiness, though.

Quote:
The only advantage Hermes has over BV is its label's strength and heritage - about which I don't give a flying hoot.* I'm sure tons of label queens and fashion victims would though, but that's only going to make BV the intelligent insider's choice that it's striving to be.

It's a bit silly to get so hostile over a handbag. Ok, you prefer Bottega over Hermes. Fine. That doesn't mean that everyone toting a Birkin is stupid fashion-victim trash. And what would you say about a person that pairs a Bottega wallet with an Hermes bag? [/b][/quote]
Are you MJ? Then you must be psychic. Or may be his mother. Or else I can't fathom how you'd seemingly be able to read his intentions and feel the need to defend his stance on his behalf.

Personally I find his post, in which he challenged my *PERSONAL* opinion of BV being a viable competitor to Hermes, to be more than slightly hostile, and downright ignorant. Which is rather typical of his posts lately, whenever he sees something with which he doesn't agree, but can't manage to rationally construct an argument to support his views.

I'm bitchy? Why thank you, you ain't too shabby yourself. I'm simply more than glad to return what was thrown at me.

And it's rather amusing that you claim to be a "true insider", while not having been aware of BV's manufacturing processes, something that has been quite widely covered since the label's aquisition by the Gucci Group. But, nonetheless I'm glad that an "outsider" like me was able to add a few crumbs of enlightenment to insiders like yourself.

What would I say about someone who pairs a BV wallet with an Hermes bag? Why should I have anything to say about that? Everyone's free to dress however they desire, and I don't usually comment on people's tastes even if they happen to be different from mine. But I do like to comment on certain individual's tendency to criticize without a vaild argument, or even basic knowledge about the subject in debate.

I don't think that has anything to do with my alleged "smarter-than-thou" attitude, it's simply basic logic and courtesy.

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, meet pot.

24-04-2004
& b

Let's keep it cool people

etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by Alejandro@Apr 24th, 2004 - 11:23 pm
Let's keep it cool people
di-tto ale

24-04-2004
fashion elite

Chick-Thank you for defending me, and for your insight on the situation. I admire you as one of the posters on this site whose opinion actually matters to me when reading posts.

Orochian-Look, I have no problem with you, or your personal choice of handbags. I was simply questioning why you thought that BV was of the league of Hermes. You are right that I knew nothing about the brand, but I never said I did. While I admit I may have been a bit defensive, I don't think my posts were hostil. I still disagree with you on this issue though. Hermes produces classic, wonderfully-crafted pieces. I own a Bottega bag, and have been very happy with it, but it can really not compare (in MY opinion) to Hermes. And just for a point of reference, before you get all offeneded and upset again, you just had an argument, about LEATHERGOODS, with a 17 year old.

Ciao,

Matt

Heated

Quote:
Originally posted by Orochian@Apr 24th, 2004 - 6:03 pm
I'm bitchy? Why thank you, you ain't too shabby yourself. I'm simply more than glad to return what was thrown at me.

And it's rather amusing that you claim to be a "true insider", while not having been aware of BV's manufacturing processes, something that has been quite widely covered since the label's aquisition by the Gucci Group. But, nonetheless I'm glad that an "outsider" like me was able to add a few crumbs of enlightenment to insiders like yourself.
If calling your post into question makes me bitchy, then call me Queen Bitch. I'm sorry if you were offended but I'm more-than-able to have a debate without resorting to hostilities and namecalling.

Also, I never called myself an "insider." In fact, I hate that term. I think you should reread my other post because you may be confused with what I meant to say.

I get the feeling that I'm always the one caught in the middle of these debates on these boards and I don't want to be known as some instigator. We've gotten far off topic here so if you want to continue this discussion through PM, feel free to do so.

Apologies to Lena and the other mods!

24-04-2004
V.I.P.

lets keep it calm please.

i just read all the posts and without taking side here i must say that MJs initial post where he questioned BV was merely inquisitive.. nothing more nothing less

thanks for moving on everyone

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
haut, hermès, sac