How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

17-12-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyStar View Post
This idea scares me a little lol. Maybe you should just sell or swap for darker Bal. Just don't want you to wind up with a hot mess. The laces issue sounds like it may not come out right.

Ha ha! Yeah, good point. I thought I read many, many threads ago that someone was able to successfully dye a turquoise T&D Bal black. But they didn't describe how to deal with the laces. Well, thanks for the caution on that.

17-12-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyStar View Post
Would it be silly to have a black work and a dark night city? Too similar?
I'm guessing that the sizes of the bags will be different enough, probably. Are you planning on having the same hardware type, too? Because different hardware types would make them significantly different.

17-12-2011
backstage pass

I dyed my 05/06 NBF Bordeaux with Tarrago Chocolate #122 and it ended up looking like a 2007 Chataigne, though I'm unhappy with the shade I'm gonna redye it Bordeaux.

With the laces/cloth, just apply the dye and it'll soak it up and since it's a darker shade it shouldn't be an issue. There's also the cream polish that I saw a blog use and it gave it a more in-depth shine (it was a Marc Jacobs bag) but for me it gave it too much of a shine.

Also, it may look a bit vinyl-y because I did the mistake of using a leather dye spray when it started fading horribly years ago. There's a "preparer" solution that you use to strip the previous bags color and finish, allowing for the dye to soak in better. There are other types of dye that are more recommended, however I am in California and no one will ship it to me (Fieblings) so I resorted to Tarrago. I've only had it for a month as a Chataigne, so no chipping or discoloration yet.

Last edited by Blodeuwedd; 17-12-2011 at 09:30 PM.

17-12-2011
front row

^^I get Fiebings from Walmart in California.

17-12-2011
backstage pass

I know there are a few colors that are allowed for sale in CA, but I didn't see them at my local Wal-Mart.

18-12-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodeuwedd View Post

With the laces/cloth, just apply the dye and it'll soak it up and since it's a darker shade it shouldn't be an issue. There's also the cream polish that I saw a blog use and it gave it a more in-depth shine (it was a Marc Jacobs bag) but for me it gave it too much of a shine.
Thanks, Blodeuwedd! Sorry to hear that the shade didn't turn out as you had hoped--hope the re-dye process goes smoothly.

It sounds like if you just slather enough dye on the laces, it'll work out.

I'm surprised that California won't allow shipping of certain leather dye brands; first no python, then no fur in L.A., wasn't it? And now no dye. Wow!

18-12-2011
backstage pass

It's the chemicals in them, that CA has set regulations against.
Fiebings has a different set of dyes : LEATHERCOLORS™ is a low VOC leather dye formulation that works as easily and effectively as traditional penetrating leather dyes. By emitting less Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) into the air LEATHERCOLORS™ is better for the environment and complies with CA VOC regulation title 17CCR94507-94517 that limits VOCs in certain consumer products.

Their color range is more limited than their regular line, but shouldn't be an issue otherwise if going black. With Tarrago I was able to look at pictures of the actual dye and compare it to other bags. Local leather/cobbler shops only had the spray version I was trying to avoid. You might have better luck around your area, but you could also ask how much it would be to have a professional dye it for you.

18-12-2011
windowshopping

Is NBF Couquelicot GSH bag nice? Is it chilli red or coral red? How the leather? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

18-12-2011
fashion insider

BDR has THE BEST leather, please sell it or trade it, DONT DYE it

18-12-2011
front row

Does anyone know what colors the boys have in the works?

Not really crazy about their selection at the moment and am craving a city! Just got my first NBF work and craving another already!

18-12-2011
front row

Has anyone ordered Js oversized Taylor? Wondering if it's as good as his Alexas?

19-12-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoestringTravel View Post
I have a BDF RH Work from T&D, and I'm thinking of dyeing the leather black (the light-colored bag just doesn't get enough use with me). I know people on here have dyed T&D bags before; how do you deal with the cloth laces on the handles? Do you just put the dye on them like you do on the leather and let it work its magic? Or do you have to remove them and do something to them separately?
The laces and the cloth around the zippers is never going to absorb the dye the same way the leather will, so it will never be the same color. I've dyed a couple bags before, and for all the trouble, it hasn't been worth it. It takes so many coats of dye that it changes the texture of the leather and it will never be the same as what you started with- even with many coats of apple care or meguiars. There will always be spots on the laces and zippers that didn't absorb evenly and it just looks weird. If you really want to go ahead with it, I would have a cobbler change out the zippers for you to black and put in black laces instead of trying to dye those parts.

19-12-2011
front row

Sounds like a LOT of work to me. And the dyeing+cobbler also isn't gonna come free.

Honestly, based on much of my experiences with buying reps for years...if it isn't perfect and you don't love it right away...chances are something like a dye job isn't going to change that.

I'd rather wait a little bit until you can buy what you really want. (flower)

Last edited by boinquo; 19-12-2011 at 02:05 PM.

19-12-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalabear View Post
Is NBF Couquelicot GSH bag nice? Is it chilli red or coral red? How the leather? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
It's definitely a brighter red--more orange to it than blue, but it's a gorgeous red. I would say it's more coral red, BUT it's not really dark orange either (don't want to give that mistaken impression).

19-12-2011
rising star

is t&d courier the right dimensions? did anyone get it?

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #12, bags, ioffer, lushfashionscom, post, posting, reading, requires, rules