How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-11-2007
windowshopping

Letting go of our favorites
I have a wallet that I adore. It is perfect.............the perfect size the perfect colour and the perfect organizational sections. I found it on sale a couple of years ago. It was not expensive but just perfect function wise. Now it has a small tear in the card section. Only I know it is there but it is not perfect anymore and bothers me. It cant really be repaired and I have never seen another one like it. It is not a brand name.Do I ditch it and buy another one..............less perfect .........or carry it and deal with the tear which can only get worse with wear.Anybody else have this problem with a handbag or wallet and how do you let go....and move on?

17-11-2007
V.I.P.

just dump it and then go on a mad shopping binge to find something comparable...i did the same thing with an LV wallet i had...now i have an excuse to go shopping...

www.thegirllovesmj.blogspot.com
17-11-2007
Of too many minds

I would just carry it till the tear worsens, provided that it still holds your cards and nothing's dropping out of course.
The sad thing is when it comes to things nowadays you can only hope that it lasts for a long thing - there's always a time when you'll have to let go!
When it's time to retire your wallet just do it, something will come along

{*princessimp.blogspot.com*}
17-11-2007
front row

I'd say go shopping. If it's broken it will be unusable eventually, and it's best to replace it before it becomes urgent that you do.

If you really, really don't think you'll find anything comparable why not try to get a copy made? I remember reading on another board about a woman in china (I never had her contact details, but she sells on ebay under the name of Fiona Ho) who custom-makes leather bags to a high standard. One woman sent her an old bag which was on its last legs and she made a brand-spanking new copy of it in ostrich. I've never needed that service, but it sounded really useful to me

17-11-2007
offline.

eh.. maybe try to repair it?? Honestly.. I do NOT invest in wallets or other items that are handled a lot due to the fact that they wear so much quicker... I'd love a MJ zip clutch or a Chanel caviar wallet.. but i see no point in shelling out a few hundred bucks just to see the edges worn in a few weeks.. but you've already invested.. try keeping it nice... or sell it off.. buy something else.. and a lesser expensive wallet

18-11-2007
V.I.P.

i find that it's actually worth spending more $$ on wallets. the LV wallet i had was vintage from the 1970's....still in nice shape, considering it's age....i actually sold it on ebay, because the condition was not as i would have liked it to be, but i bought it used and used it myself for several years (4 or 5). add the fact it already had 30+ years before me, plus an owner before me, i'd say that's pretty darn good!

www.thegirllovesmj.blogspot.com
19-11-2007
tfs star

i would still wear it if it still functioned. when it's not, i would still keep it in my drawer while i buy and use another :p
i don't throw things that i LOVE although i won't use it anymore

27-11-2007
girl who fell to earth

I would definitely continue to use it if it is still functional as princess suggested..

but in the meanwhile you should keep a look out for another wallet that you will love...
it will be tough to replace but if you look around enough the right thing will come along and you can remember that you loved the old wallet "to death" so to speak :p

I think wallets are worth investing in because if it's something you love and will use everyday then you might as well get some extra joy when you take it out of your bag to part with your hard-earned cash..
at least you're holding a pretty wallet, right?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
favorites, letting