How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-05-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita729
Lv is a classic as long as u stick to simple bags, none of that cherry/ denim collection, monogram is the way to go (not in pastel) and epi s always good to have as well.
Agreed, choose a classic model and you will never regret it.

26-05-2005
front row

Passe? Nah.. It all depends on your style

trendsetter

I enjoy epi, monogram canvas and damier. I think they are classic and go with everything.

What I still have not figured out is if the monogram canvas is leather. The tag says coated canvas, no? It never dawned on me that I was buying a fabric bag for 100$'s of $$'s!

26-05-2005
fashion elite

the monogram canvas is coated canvas, which is one reason why it irks people so that the bags are so pricey. LV is not my style but I think they are beautifully made bags.

26-05-2005
army of lovers

LV is classic, didn't they make a bag just for Coco Chanel?

26-05-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacque Marcel
Wasn't that the Noe?

Not sure though.

Diamond

As much as the counterfeiters and thieves try to make LV a joke, I'm of the opinion that it will always be classic. Sure, some of their designs are just, well, wrong - but certain styles will always be winners. Fakes are obvious and tacky but the real deal will always prevail. Congrats on the new bag and welcome to tFS

~Madeleine Albright
26-05-2005
front row

i like lv, but not the monogram canvas. but i think lv has lost a lot of it's prestige because of the knock offs.
god i hate fake lvs....

26-05-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Not that I know of and I follow Chanel pretty closely. (if you check my post history!) Mcrc Jacobs/LV seems very opposite that of Chanel. Karl seems very self centered to have anyone else work on Chanel with him. Hey, I could be wrong though?!

I like monogram canvas, but I defiantely will not purchase any again just because it is not leather. Louis Vuitton was born as a leather luggage company. I think the coated canvas just sounds like it is cheapening the original foundation of the company, no? Were their original old trunks made of coated canvas? (I dont see this information on their website history) They try to make it look like leather too! I guess leather makes me think value, but I guess leather might cost as much to make as the canvas?!

The Epi line is leather, yes?

26-05-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita729
Lv is a classic as long as u stick to simple bags, none of that cherry/ denim collection, monogram is the way to go (not in pastel) and epi s always good to have as well.

couldn't agree more!! I'm looking to buy a high quality tote and have been considering getting something along the lines of the Cabas Piano tote. Yes, every other 17 year old is carrying around a "LV" monogram bag right now but when the "fad" of the bag wears off for the portion of the population who are carrying them because Jessica Simpson is, the rest of us will still be carrying them with pride!! I love seeing an older (brown) monogramed bag that already has the beautiful patina on it--if those bags could talk *sigh* such wonderful stories!!! (alright, time to crawl back into my little LV obsessed world..it's just a purse...right? )

26-05-2005
backstage pass

Wixxxle, it's never JUST a purse
rhiannonmars: the old trunks were made of leather and then for some reason they changed to coated canvas

Last edited by lolita729; 26-05-2005 at 01:43 PM.
26-05-2005
V.I.P.

yah...im a huge fan of leather bags and i haven't yet bought anything else, so im hoping i'll like the canvas. can anyone tell me if it is durable? i've felt one before and it seemed really hard. does it soften with time? and are there any special care methods i should be aware of? i really appreciate all your comments!

26-05-2005
army of lovers

I knew I read it somewhere, here is the article

The Alma bag designed for Chanel and the Speedy for Audrey Hepburn, you can't get more classic than that....

http://www.fashion.ie/index.cfm/fuse...C18AC9DF76.htm

26-05-2005
fashion elite

the canvas when new is stiff just like anything, leather or otherwise, that hasn't been broken in. whether or not it softens depends on the bag. the ones that are more structured (like the luco) will maintain their shape (unless of course you stomp on it with your stilettos), while a soft bag (like the speedy) will get droopy over time. the monogram wears remarkably well though. I have a key case that is nearly 10 years old and I swear it looks new.

as for whether or not you think the canvas is worth the $$, it's a personal choice. I personally don't like anything monogramed, but if I had to choose one I would choose LV. much more durable than say gucci. and frankly more durable than some very pricey leather bags, like balenciaga. and I would assume they started using the canvas because it was more durable. but who cares, right? you either like it or you don't.

26-05-2005
V.I.P.

thanks for that. i LOVE audrey!! yah, sometimes i wonder what designers were thinking with some of the materials they use...like dooney and bourke it bags scuff really bad

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
icon, louis, passé, style, vuitton