How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

08-09-2005
boop

Marc Jacobs Stam Bag (September 2005 - March 2010)
This bag is getting quite a bit of attention of late. Perhaps because celeb bag freak Lindsay Lohan was spotted wearing it but also since eLuxury is listing it as its latest "It Bag." Now I'm not so sure about that but its certainly quite a quirky charming bag. Any bag named after Jessica Stam has at the very least bonus points. Anyone here have it or thinking about getting it? I'm toying with the idea of getting it in black. Like most of Marc's clothing has a very "grandma's closet" vibe and I really like that.

08-09-2005
rising star

i saw this bag at saks 2 weekends ago. i agree that it is very cute and has a nice vintagy-vibe. but, the leather is very stiff and rough feeling. it is not soft like most other MJ bags. its much more sturdy. honestly, i didnt enjoy the way it felt at all. when i touched it, it felt like i was exfoliating.

08-09-2005
backstage pass

I've loved that bag ever since I first saw it on MJ's website. I am afraid it would be too heavy for my liking (as all MJ bags are). I still love the style though.

08-09-2005
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduv143
i saw this bag at saks 2 weekends ago. i agree that it is very cute and has a nice vintagy-vibe. but, the leather is very stiff and rough feeling. it is not soft like most other MJ bags. its much more sturdy. honestly, i didnt enjoy the way it felt at all. when i touched it, it felt like i was exfoliating.
I don't love the shiny pebbled leather either (MJ calls it "ice"), but note that some if not all the bags including the stam can be ordered in smooth calf (but I believe only at the boutiques).

08-09-2005
trendsetter

I knew one such thread will pop up, sooner or later :p

Anyway, I do like the Stam. But don't particularly love it to want it immediately. I also don't think the Stam is going to be *the* bag for long. It seems a passing faddish bag.

08-09-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kare2711
I knew one such thread will pop up, sooner or later :p

Anyway, I do like the Stam. But don't particularly love it to want it immediately. I also don't think the Stam is going to be *the* bag for long. It seems a passing faddish bag.
Agree. I also think that this bag will be on sale months later. The bag is very structured, and the lining is suede. I tried it on and it's a little too heavy for me, but the smaller version is alright.

09-09-2005
Of too many minds

It's interesting enought to warrant attention and I think the large version is nicer than the smaller one. Something about its "Chanel-ish" look bothers me though..I wouldn't pay full price for it, but I might consider it if it's on sale

{*princessimp.blogspot.com*}

09-09-2005
rising star

I bought this bag in the textured leather in black as soon as it was available - I think it is gorgeous! I agree with the other posters, though, it is a heavy bag, but I just love it.

I very much love the fact that you can take the chain off and just have a simple satchel, or leave the chain on and get a lot of flash.

I love the other colors it comes in (the blue is especially nice), but I am not regretting going for the black. I think it goes well with my style, a mix of vintage and modern.

09-09-2005
boop

Ooh wonderful youngprof! Your bag sounds great, I'd love to see a picture

What are your thoughts on the leather? And is the bag large enough to cart around everyday essentials?

09-09-2005
rising star

I didn't think the leather was stiff, but it is thick and the quilting gives it a lot of "body", so it has a nice sturdiness that I like.

It is a good size bag - you could definitely carry your stuff for all day in there. I had originally thought of getting this bag, with the idea of using it as an evening bag:

But I just like the larger size better, more fits, and the option of using the top handles or the chain handle is nice. Also, I think the large bag is more of a statement, more modern looking, while still maintaining that nice vintage-y vibe that I like.

09-09-2005
rising star

I saw this bag in Harvey Nichols a few weeks ago. I only noticed it because the sales assistant showed it to me as being the bag that's going to be (and I quote) "much bigger" than the Paddington. I think I offended him when I held it and said "thanks, but it's not me." I was curious to see when this thread would come up though.

Personally, I don't like it. I saw the large size. It weighs a bloody ton, I wasn't even sure it was leather and it looks like someone's oversized wash bag (albeit a fancy wash bag.

Last edited by i_love_chloe; 09-09-2005 at 12:47 PM.

09-09-2005
rising star

For those of you who have tried it on, can you fit the leather handles over your shoulder?

09-09-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietonne
For those of you who have tried it on, can you fit the leather handles over your shoulder?
You might be able to, but I couldn't (wearing work clothes). The leather handles are definitely "hand-carry" handles. (Think MJ Venetia.)

09-09-2005
fashion elite

I found the stam handles fit easily over my shoulder, but probably not with a coat. they must be longer than the venetia handles which I can't fit over my shoulder at all.

09-09-2005
boop

My impatience strikes again. Both the Mercer Street MJ boutique and the Bleeker Street one were sold out of the black Stam so I've ordered it from eLuxury. Hopefully it will arrive sometime next week and I'll post pictures and what not.

Quote:
I only noticed it because the sales assistant showed it to me as being the bag that's going to be (and I quote) "much bigger" than the Paddington.
Sales associates can be so odd. There's really nothing about this bag that screams (at least to me) "It". I personally love it but it does seem like the kind of bag that would have a limited appeal. I wonder how these kind of statements get started even with well known bags like the Spy or the Paddington. Its so strange, one minute you see a bag in a magazine or on a website and the next minute it is being called the next big thing.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2005, 2010, bag, jacobs, marc, march, september, stam