How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-06-2007
Press escape to continue.

Masato Takae
I think this work of art speaks for itself. At last, I have found a handbag that I will be very happy to see every day.

Quote:
This black bamboo nami-ajiro pattern bag is Masato's best work. Three different wide 'higo' are used, and traditional weaving technique makes this unique design. Black dyed higos make this bag exceptionally gorgeous. Have you ever seen a bamboo bag like this piece? This bag is the best one we can have now.
Masato makes this bag elaborately and very carefully - all bamboo joints are placed in the bottom, which will not reduce the beauty of weaving pattern, and at a time to avoid them to damage owner's dress.
Top cover fabric is made of tasteful check pattern Oshima Tsumugi, one of the highest quality silk in Japan. One small packet is attached inside. In the bottom, Masato's signiture is carved.
Netsuke is attached. He will carve your name for free.
Links in English and in Japanese where you can see a lot more of the extraordinary detail images of this piece: http://www.tourjartisan.com/result/m...?number=800003 and Masato-san's studio at http://take-once.com/SHOP/nami-002.html.

Last edited by SomethingElse; 22-06-2007 at 05:19 PM.

25-06-2007
Your pm box is full buggy

At first I thought it was just a weird emboss.. but it's woven!? Wow, crazy.

26-06-2007
trendsetter

It looks great. The woven body has a "dusty" feel, which seems a character in itself. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by LoveLetter; 26-06-2007 at 10:30 AM.
26-06-2007

It is hand woven black bamboo! I'm begging my mom for one - it's the kind of bag that will last a lifetime, and never go out of fashion. A real classical piece of art! The rest of his work is equally extraordinary, I think.

Just keep running...

Oh my goodness, woven? That is amazing! Though for all that work, I expect the price tag will be, too.

How beautiful. It's perfect. Not overdone, and I love how natural and simple the materials used look, like that checked silk poking out the top, it looks almost like a coarse weave canvas, and works wonderfully with the other materials used - they're all amazing put together.

26-06-2007

I had never really thought a "bag" before, and I started reading bag threads here on tFS to educate myself a bit. Nothing I saw really struck me as being a bag I would want to have all day long, day after day, simply nothing, not one.

I felt so dumb.

I looked carefully in shops at craftsmanship, the cost of named designers, the designs, and all I saw was product. I thought about the people who make the high end designer bags, and who was really earning the money, and what I would really paying if I went that route. Packaging, brand recognition, a bauble?

I realized that I really want something handmade, artistic, and rare. If you go to the first link I posted above (http://www.tourjartisan.com/result/m...?number=800003), you can see the details of this bag, and the purchase price. I do not believe it is exhorbitant considering the quality of the workmanship and the incredible beauty of the hand and tote bags. I could have Hermès and people would recognize it. Big deal. That doesn't mean anything to me.

One relatively inexpensive Hermès is about the same price as this bamboo piece. For a high end Hermès, I could have a hefty number of bags from this amazing craftsman AND take a trip to see his studio in Japan!

No one in Manhattan would recognize this bag, and it oozes oohs and ahhs, I think. That's something else, don't you think?

Last edited by SomethingElse; 26-06-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
masato, takae