How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

21-08-2004
yes

thats so wierd.......i thought america was really liberal in those respects

here u can wear anything at anytime and nobody says anything

21-08-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Nearly all the students I know carry bags

21-08-2004
front row

well bags are one thing, but if theyre shoulder bags and you're a guy. its insta-fem apparently.

21-08-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

What??? No offense meant, but where do you live, somewhere in the dark-ages? Loads of men carry shoulder-bags in Newcastle which is one of the most working-class, homogenous, homophobic cities in Britain... Do men seriously not carry shoulder bags where you're at?

21-08-2004
V.I.P.

I think it's completely absured how people think careying a bag is feminin

21-08-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Aug 21 2004, 12:32 PM
What??? No offense meant, but where do you live, somewhere in the dark-ages? Loads of men carry shoulder-bags in Newcastle which is one of the most working-class, homogenous, homophobic cities in Britain... Do men seriously not carry shoulder bags where you're at?
[snapback]340865[/snapback]
a little city in ontario, canada. men do carry shoulder bags it's not like its UNHEARD of. but if you do. people instantly think he must be gay. dont ask me where this ignorance comes from.

21-08-2004
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Aug 21 2004, 10:52 AM
thats so wierd.......i thought america was really liberal in those respects

here u can wear anything at anytime and nobody says anything
[snapback]340829[/snapback]

no offense, but are you kidding? Outside of New York, maybe LA and few small liberal suburban enclaves most American's are not overwhelmingly open to any hint of the gay lifestyle. I split my time between New York and Princeton, New Jersey (which isn't as bad as a lot of rural towns because with the university there is SOME liberal undertone), and I normally won't use/wear some of my more gay stuff when I am not in the city, not because I really give a **** what other people think but because it is easier to just not have to deal with it. That is what I meant by my first post.

21-08-2004
Unveil Yourself....

Quote:
Originally posted by passione@Aug 21 2004, 06:29 PM
well bags are one thing, but if theyre shoulder bags and you're a guy. its insta-fem apparently.
[snapback]340861[/snapback]
In Holland almost every young guy wears a bag, and most of them are shoulder bags it's considered feminine to carry a normal bag

twitter.com/ErikP87

21-08-2004
front row

My dad has a BEAUTIFUL brown leather bag that he uses often and i don't think he's gay! It doesn't have a fancy label on it; it looks simpel and classical. (to come to think about it.. he does actually dress pretty "edgy" for he's age - 47, job, smallish town and our conservative country.. )

A lot of male students in my country wear messanger bags and nobody looks weirdly at them. And it's not like our country is all gay friendly - people just don't care and why should they?

Quote:
Mr-Dale
In Holland almost every young guy wears a bag, and most of them are shoulder bags it's considered feminine to carry a normal bag
AGREED!!!

21-08-2004
backstage pass

I see a lot of men in the city carrying shoulder bags and I don't think its really taboo. I think if a man is carrying a carryall or tote bag, then people will automatically assume something about his sexuality. It also depends on the brand, if he is carrying a Tumi, everyone will assume its simply for function, but if its a Prada (love em or hate em, Prada makes IMO some excellent messenger bags for men) then people may assume something about his sexuality.

I have a Bally suede carryall and I have carried it and have noticed some looks...whatever, LOL.

I carry a bag everyday to work. I cannot stand the look of anything in my pants pockets and you won't see me with a cell phone clipped to my belt. I have water, CD player, newspaper, work papers. How does anyone manage without one?

As a married hetero male (not that it matters) I find it laughable and sad how many are so quick to label some man as gay if he does certain things. I can imagine, in many areas, outside of this forum, the mere fact that a male is posting here would make him gay.

21-08-2004
backstage pass

I completely understand what you are saying, but I will be honest. If I saw a man carrying a Stella bag, even here in NYC, I may do a double take.

If you pull it off, then rock on, but I would say that if people react a bit oddly to you wearing the Stella, its because its not just feminine, but a female bag. I'm not one big on the male/female distinctions, but I don't see anything masculine (not that it has to) about the Stellas.

Quote:
Originally posted by MJCouture@Aug 21 2004, 01:00 AM
I tend to not use my more, let us say "feminine" bags (basicaly my Stellas, which I think I can only pull off at all because I am so thin and short that they look bulkier, otherwise more masculine on me than on most men)
[snapback]340500[/snapback]

21-08-2004
fashion insider

So let's get back to the original question, will manbag become a trend in the US?

21-08-2004
backstage pass

Does nobody think that a Vuitton Suhali L'Marveilluse bag would look great if carried by a confident chic man?

Charles Baudelaire

21-08-2004
yes

Quote:
Originally posted by MJCouture@Aug 21 2004, 05:19 PM
no offense, but are you kidding? Outside of New York, maybe LA and few small liberal suburban enclaves most American's are not overwhelmingly open to any hint of the gay lifestyle. I split my time between New York and Princeton, New Jersey (which isn't as bad as a lot of rural towns because with the university there is SOME liberal undertone), and I normally won't use/wear some of my more gay stuff when I am not in the city, not because I really give a **** what other people think but because it is easier to just not have to deal with it. That is what I meant by my first post.
[snapback]340890[/snapback]
i never knew that. god what losers
i would kick they' ***
come to london.....u can carry as many bags as you like

21-08-2004
fashion insider

I think it's manly to carry bags, as long as it's big and chunky. I doubt anyone can wear a Fendi baguette and still look masculine.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, bags, men