How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

02-10-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 22 2004, 01:04 AM
i love messenger bags on men...something about the strap across the chest is very attractive...

[snapback]341415[/snapback]
So true...

I want to get a nice gift for each of my brothers, and I was thinking of giving my little brother a bag. He always carries his backpack around because he says it's full of everything he needs (music, advil, homework, money, keys...he really is well-prepared ), but the backpack is held together with duct tape because he likes it that way.

I think that if I got him a messenger bag or something, he would actually use it and that would look better on him. The thing is, he can look kind of feminine and I want to get him something that kids at school wouldn't make fun of him for wearing. He's confident, but I don't want to be the cause of anyone picking on him (plus our mom is gay, so she's conscious of what looks fem/masculine on her kids if that makes sense ).

What do you think of this bag for him (minus the red thing)? It's one that faust pointed out. The price is a little high for me as a Christmas gift since my family's so big, but I can work out something. What color would be best? He has blonde hair, pale/fair skin, and hazel eyes and he'd wear it all the time. Is there something else that you think would be better?

Thanks in advance for your help.

03-10-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by eloes@Oct 2 2004, 04:09 PM
So true...

I want to get a nice gift for each of my brothers, and I was thinking of giving my little brother a bag. He always carries his backpack around because he says it's full of everything he needs (music, advil, homework, money, keys...he really is well-prepared ), but the backpack is held together with duct tape because he likes it that way.

I think that if I got him a messenger bag or something, he would actually use it and that would look better on him. The thing is, he can look kind of feminine and I want to get him something that kids at school wouldn't make fun of him for wearing. He's confident, but I don't want to be the cause of anyone picking on him (plus our mom is gay, so she's conscious of what looks fem/masculine on her kids if that makes sense ).

What do you think of this bag for him (minus the red thing)? It's one that faust pointed out. The price is a little high for me as a Christmas gift since my family's so big, but I can work out something. What color would be best? He has blonde hair, pale/fair skin, and hazel eyes and he'd wear it all the time. Is there something else that you think would be better?

Thanks in advance for your help.
[snapback]383242[/snapback]
Manhattan Portage is very popular in New York, so I think the quality is fine. You can always get this, so try gap or urban outfitters first to see if you can score something cheaper. Also, I gave a Puma messenger bag to my wife's cousin for his Bday recently, so if your brother doesn't mind a big Puma logo, it was $45 (you could probably buy it on the Puma website). Manhattan Portage is definitely more discreet though.

01-01-2005
wabisabi*

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
For a long time I had a black nylon Dolce and Gabanna (NOT D&G ), until it got stolen from my car. Now I have a beautiful black canvas/leather messenger bag with bondage leather closures - really gorgeous and unique - by Helmut Lang.
i'd love a HL bag, i haven't seen a messenger though- i can never come by any of his accessories really- aside from ebay, but the bags are usually women's bags. do you happen to have a picture of it?

also, i saw you mentioned collection privee as a bag you wanted- but i can't seem to locate their stuff online. i'm in the market for a shoulder bag and a backpack but i have yet to find one that i really like. i've been using a supreme backpack (the streetlabel skateshop in nyc) for the past 5 years because there hasn't been anything to replace it.

01-01-2005
V.I.P.

i love bags. i don't know where i'd be if i didn't carry one

01-01-2005
wabisabi*

i agree. i can't live without a bag. i don't know if i'll ever carry a "man purse" though or a tote. it still hasn't caught on here, the only people i see carrying them are international students from korea or japan. i'll stick to my messengers and backpacks.

01-01-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
lmao. my wife says the same thing. But I don't carry a bag on the weekends, there is no use.

This topic is kind of funny to me, because I was not even AWARE that there is such a thing as a man-bag and that people get stereotyped for it. This is real news to me.
I don't know about other people but I started first hearing the term after that episode of seinfeld. When he started carrying that "european carry all" but everyone called it a man-purse.

Anyways, I've always like that Gucci boyfriend bag, I don't remember the season but it looked like a big punching bag with a large strap. It floated around Ebay a few times but I never had the guts to pick it up, it looked really unpractical.

I like the flat dior homme messenger bags, but it's hard for me to find a good bag because I'm vegan, so I stay away from leather, which is probably the main material for all nicely designed designer bags.

Hopefully I'll get into designing bags soon and whip up something nice and vegan friendly.

02-01-2005
windowshopping

street label now also have men bags in their range
you will find that its normal for guys to carry a messenger or even small over the shoulder purse. Lots of street wear label now sells them eg mooks, diesel, g-star etc. even zara.
as long as its not like a ladies purse with embroidery and rhinstones all over it ..any men (gay, bi, hetro or curious) can pull it off.

02-01-2005
backstage pass

Bally, Lambertson Truex & Longchamp make excellent carryalls or messenger bags for men. Many are on sale now so it's a good time to pick one up.

02-01-2005
wabisabi*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theory
Bally, Lambertson Truex & Longchamp make excellent carryalls or messenger bags for men. Many are on sale now so it's a good time to pick one up.
they have sales on these in their own stores for real? i've never seen a sale at bally. perhaps i'll have to make a trip out to somerset...

how are jack spade and coach leather bags?

02-01-2005
& b

Why I haven't posted on this topic

Ok, so im not the regular "straight" looking gay guy, or guy looking at all but I rock from clutches, to fanny packs, to totes, to everything I need to carry my crap around, and I seriously carry a store in my bag... I dunno, my suggestion for men is to do minimalistic bags, understated, like Faust said, Helmuts, I've seen some nce ones from Prada, but the whole label thing is just ... I have a pewter suede/black patent Matt & Nat messenger bag, it's skinny, nice, and it looks really manly... then again worn with printed pumps and hot pink glitter doesn't help on the masculinity...

Then again, wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing... someday you will have to suck it up, carry a bag around so you can get used to it, and bla bla blaaahh

Amen

02-01-2005
& b

I think the price is stupid for what it is, but it's a nice shape and style

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ayphotohosting

02-01-2005
tfs star

flite
the only boys I like carry flight bags that are vintage like continental, sas, twa....otherwise they have to have expensive pradas or LV and maybe briefcases. Im picky like that.

03-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
i'd love a HL bag, i haven't seen a messenger though- i can never come by any of his accessories really- aside from ebay, but the bags are usually women's bags. do you happen to have a picture of it?

also, i saw you mentioned collection privee as a bag you wanted- but i can't seem to locate their stuff online. i'm in the market for a shoulder bag and a backpack but i have yet to find one that i really like. i've been using a supreme backpack (the streetlabel skateshop in nyc) for the past 5 years because there hasn't been anything to replace it.
Hmmm, I'm considering putting up on Ebay a Helmut Lang backpack I only carried a few times. It's very funky. PM me if you are interested. I don't have a pic of my messenger bag, but I suppose I could take it.

Collection Privee is next to impossible to come by in the US. I only know one store in NYC that carries their stuff. They are very expensive though.

03-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
how are jack spade and coach leather bags?
Overpriced garbage, if you forgive my straightforwardness

03-01-2005
& b

Quote:
Overpriced garbage, if you forgive my straightforwardness
Completely true though

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, bags, men