How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

03-01-2005
backstage pass

agreed but i gave my youngest brother a jack spade bag (cost me $90...maybe waxed nylon?) and it carried him through college....but some of his bags are insane....coach has really become so pedestrian over recent years & those monogram bags.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
Overpriced garbage, if you forgive my straightforwardness

04-01-2005
crossed wires.

I love messenger bags on men...if they're wearing a fine knit slim fitting jumper and look a bit preppy
It really depends on what kind of bag you mean by a man bag...I think a few more pictures posted of what people mean would be helpful
I think it solely depends on you...what else you wear, proportions, whether you suit it, etc etc

04-01-2005
Yes, please

I'm a manbag Whore, so brace yourselves!
Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
(re: Jack Spade /Coach)Overpriced garbage, if you forgive my straightforwardness
Ooooh, child!
I'm gay, and I have no problem wearing whatever the hell I want, and I'm surprised that there's a question about men carrying bags, when I imagine wearing looks straight out of the men's runways would be even more of a problem, and we seem to talk about thaat here a lot!

I've had over two or three dozen bags I've worn since the late eighties - I've always had a bag to lug my stuff, from work to the gym. Everyone in NYC sports a bag one way or the other. I'm a staunch proponent of Rafe New York'sRafe New York and wear their stuff exclusively at this point, which was way ahead of Coach and Jack Spade in having 'fashion' bags for men since back in 1996, and had the whole striped webbing strap thing before everyone else (most notably Bally).
Their current 'Seattle' line is my latest favorite, because it looks like leather but is actually rubberized canvas. It's damn durable and looks different from all the canvas bags everyone else sports nowadays. I have the small shoulder and tote versions below in black, because they're the ones that work best with all my Fall Cloak stuff. I've had them two Falls now and still love them.

I've gotten stopped on the street/airport/different countries constantly for my Rafe bags so I'm pretty loyal to them. And lots of guys wear them in my nabes in NYC, and the familiar straps are almost like a weird club - they're definitely more expensive than Jack Spade, but that's part of the allure, I suppose (that not everyone will have them). I spoke with Rafe himself, and he told me that Clive Owen was spotted wearing one of his Fall bags just this past Christmas. It was apparently an older bag of theirs, but since men aren't as prone to change their bags (unless they're Japanese) as women, the men's lines stay more constant than the women's. I dug around and found the link to what is unfortunately no longer available (Clive's bag was the small one on the extreme right, in the weathered leather, from 2002).

I got the Harris Tweed ones from this collection and like a proper fasionista, have been festooning it with every possible pin and detail I can find, because the brooch trend for women is carrying over to menswear in the Spring (it's already in the magazines if you look, so gotta hit it fast!) The great thing is that the bag is two years old but it's perfect for the tweed trend NOW, but I find that his bags are always slightly ahead of the trends, yet quiet enough to deal with, style-wise!

I've been posting on the other threads about designer menswear a lot and I have to say that the more casual shoulder bags don't usually go too well with some designer clothing (breaks the line), so I've been sporting totes a lot lately. One of the reasons I love Rafe is that the designer makes them for himself as the main customer, and I've always had bags from him are already at retail level that would hit the men's runways seasons later, so I always felt ahead of the curve. I, uh, have a lot of totes.

That said, I'm sorely tempted to break withh my Rafe loyalty and get the Helmut Lang gold gym bags...!

Last edited by baklanyc; 04-01-2005 at 11:06 AM.

04-01-2005
wabisabi*

nice bags especially the harris tweed ones... wish i could get my hands on one of those. i'll have to check these out at nordstroms. the site says the entire fall collection is 30-40% off.. is this everywhere? it doesn't seem like you can order off the site..

haha the helmut lang gold gym bag... reminds me of that thread by alex.

Last edited by xcoldricex; 04-01-2005 at 10:34 PM.

04-01-2005
Yes, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
nice bags especially the harris tweed ones... wish i could get my hands on one of those. i'll have to check these out at nordstroms. the site says the entire fall collection is 30-40% off.. is this everywhere? it doesn't seem like you can order off the site..

haha the helmut lang gold gym bag... reminds me of that thread by alex.
Oh the Harris Tweed ones are long gone - that series was in Fall 2002 (though I hear they might reprise them). You can only buy what's on sale on their site now, as those are the current collections, but you'll have to call them on their 800 number - no internet sales yet. Although I found some on sale at Zappo's.com:
http://couture.zappos.com/n/es/d/722105632.html

11-01-2005
windowshopping

Those are nice, I would deffinatly sport one of those, but currently I do have a nice brown one I wear, I'm a guy from the Seattle area, you see guys here have them but not a whole lot, only comments I have gotten were from a few guy friends like "Why do you have a bag?" I think its a great style, and very useful haha

11-01-2005
wabisabi*

does anyone know anything about these mspc - masterpiece bags on yoox? i remember seeing one in a photoshoot. but i haven't really heard anything about this label (Aside from it being a japanese label) and the quality of it. i could use a new backpack too.

12-03-2005
blue

Mens Bags
ive been looking at some mens bags from prada and gucci
(ive already browsed through the womens collection from every single brand imaginable for 99999 times already, so im exploring the mens collection.. )

and i like them. usually im not a big fan on prada/gucci bags, but their mens collection is rather nice.. its simple and sleek.

so heres a thread dedicated to "mens" bags...... here we go.

prada gucci gucci dior lv lv

12-03-2005
V.I.P.

I don't like any of those except for the last LV.

I love the Damier Geant line in LV, so masculine yet sleek. The Mage is my favorite piece, only if it came in normal colors.

The Pionnier is also fabulous...

as well as the Broadway messenger

This Tumi bag looks ugly but it looks so much better on, and in this color it is heaven.

12-03-2005
fashion insider

I have a PRADA Sports Messenger Bag

12-03-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorling
I love the Damier Geant line in LV, so masculine yet sleek. The Mage is my favorite piece, only if it came in normal colors.
the damier geant line is okay, but i don't really like it much. the humongous "LOUIS VUITTON" is a total turnoff for me... ... you're basically yelling "look how much i paid for this bag!" out loud to everyone who sees you, without even saying a word.

but if i absolutely had to and were forced to pick/buy a bag from this line, i'd go for these:

13-03-2005
V.I.P.

gucci has some nice mens bags this season... but the prices are completely out there...

i really really want this crocodile tote... so enamoured over it... however, i'd never be able to ever spend $23,000 on a handbag!!!! maybe if i won the lottery.

this tote is also nice.. i like the fabric... but for $1,590 i think i'd rather have a large fendi spy bag in cognac leather...

Last edited by brian; 13-03-2005 at 12:12 AM.

13-03-2005
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
the damier geant line is okay, but i don't really like it much. the humongous "LOUIS VUITTON" is a total turnoff for me... ... you're basically yelling "look how much i paid for this bag!" out loud to everyone who sees you, without even saying a word.

but if i absolutely had to and were forced to pick/buy a bag from this line, i'd go for these:
i agree. im not into the damier geant at all... that huge VUITTON logo.. i dont mind the regular monograms, but having it written down like that reminds me of a walking signboard...... its soo expensive too.. and its not even leather!

13-03-2005
blue

wow i like this one..... but 23k? who do they think they are? save up some more and you could buy yourself a car

13-03-2005
front row

Bally has beautiful men's bags!!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, bags, men