How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

10-05-2005
windowshopping

Obsessed?
This is my first posting and I want to ask for advice. I am completely obsessed by the Mulberry Bayswater handbag yet I've never spent so much money on accessories, and every time I go into the shop I just think it's so basic, no lining even, that I cannot justify buying it. How can a 500 bag be twice as good as a 250 one? Yet I love its modern take on the Birkin, Birking seeming so boring and granny-like to me.

I am looking for something
-sturdy, to carry A4 pads and documents
-serious and chic, to meet business clients (nothing too flash or fashionable)
-that (I hope) I can keep for the next 5 yrs at least

But, will I get bored as with all my other bags? What colour shall I get, considering my coats and jackets are mainly black? I just can't bear fakes, if I get them there are not used as I am a quality snob, things have to feel well made and good quality. This is driving me crazy, carrying my things in shopping bags while I make up my mind!

10-05-2005
windowshopping

Hi and welcome to you! I think you will love the Bayswater. You will find it is nothing exciting, but it is a timeless classic, and I can't imagine ever getting bored with it. If I were you, I would go for the darwin oak, it goes with everything, and it ages well. It really doesn't need a lining, it is meant to be soft and slouchy. I have it and can assure you I never regretted the purchase.

10-05-2005
fashion elite

welcome victoire and I totally understand your dilemma. unfortunately I don't think I have an easy answer to your question. I think the bayswater is a nice bag but a bit boring -- have you considered the roxanne? the rugged, unlined look of the mulberry bags is what makes them distinct. the leather is really wonderful and durable, and ages beautifully. I think they're worth every penny, but if you're prepared to spend this much and are unsure, you should look at other bags because there are plenty to be had in the $1000 range. just browse through this board and you'll see lots of discussions about lots of different bags.

10-05-2005
backstage pass

Hi victoire - I couldn't imagine a more perfect work bag than the Bayswater. It is a classic shape without being instantly recognizable. The Darwin leather looks a hundred times more luxurious than the matt glove. As for the color - go with the oak. I use my tan bags a hundred times more than my black ones. They go with both black and brown and it looks way more fresh.

10-05-2005
fashion elite

I second the comment about the darwin versus the glove -- no comparison. note that the new colors tend to be in the glove.

10-05-2005
V.I.P.

do any of you have pictures of the piccadilly? (the bag itself or anyone holding it...)

10-05-2005
fashion elite

the only pic I could find was on the mulberry site under "luggage"

http://secure.mulberry.com/

11-05-2005
V.I.P.

wasn't there another pic earlier on in this thread?? ... but i can't see it anymore

11-05-2005
front row

Does anyone have any info of the new Kim Jones mulberry bags. Prices, pictures etc. etc.
Anyone???????? I tried google and everything can't find any info...

11-05-2005
backstage pass

sigh.. it so looks like a tods bag. i still would go for the oak roxy

11-05-2005
backstage pass

Its not quite as stuffy as a Tods bag can be. The distressed leather and slight slouch to it help keep it more casual.
Its weird to me that people consider the Roxy to be a classic. From the moment I saw it, I viewed it as a "trendy" bag. I am so tired of the double front pocket look (thanks to Marc Jacobs and the billions upon billions of copycats).

12-05-2005
fashion elite

But I still like this colour though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mulberry_vanila1.jpg (16.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Mulberry_vanila2.jpg (17.7 KB, 10 views)

12-05-2005
tfs star

^^^^^^^ Me too,me too,I ADORE this one!! It actually looks edible I have told myself sternly that I cannot possibly have the chocolate brown AND the vanilla!!! I love my choccy one too (in case I haven't mentioned that before )....but the vanilla one would be so great for summer,you know?

I somehow feel that I should rather buy a totally different designer bag than spend this amount of money on a variation of the same,though.

12-05-2005
fashion elite

Yay!!!!!!at last someone like this colour too. I also like the choc brown and the oak but I already have the paddington in tan and the silverado in brown. And I only have one white luella bag so this would be perfect for summer bag... and I'm sure I wouldn't conplaint that it's too small....

12-05-2005
Storm & Sommer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
do any of you have pictures of the piccadilly? (the bag itself or anyone holding it...)
I take it your wondering about it's dimensions Brian ? When I was getting my bayswater bag (I use it as a combo diaper/my stuff bag) I was actually considering the piccadilly but it's HUGE in the week-end bag kinda way...and the Bayswater is heavy enough as it is.

pinterest : hanneonpin

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2004, 2010, bags, march, mulberry, november