Non-Leather / Vegan Bags - Page 4 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-06-2006
rising star

Well, yes, Urban Outfitters does have some nice-looking bags but I think these indie designers are better (just my personal view after being camped on indie sites for the past 3-4 weeks , especially the jewelry designers) Recycled backpack? I'll keep an eye out for you as well ...

19-06-2006
Of too many minds

^Awww... I love the doggie tote!

{*princessimp.blogspot.com*}
26-08-2006
V.I.P.

That first floral one is really cute!

And just a heads-up-the Paul & Joe Owl Bag that I had so hoped would be veg-friendly has wool AND leather.

01-06-2007
front row

Kim White Handbags makes bags from vintage automotive fabrics, and many are vegan. http://www.kimwhitehandbags.com/index.html

Having gone through all the links in this thread and many more, there's a lot of bags out there, but my main complaint is that most seem to lean towards being either cutsy, proclaiming veganism or some other message, or a tough harley look.

03-06-2007
rising star

I'm a vegetarian who avoids leather as well. I had no idea about the effects of PVC until I read this thread. My Nine West wallet is made of PVC and that makes me sad.

As for handbags, I love Loop NYC and Parcel. they use fake leather for the strap. here's a link: http://www.loopnyc.com/ I have a travel and pleisure bag and I love it! very spacious and stylish. i want to get a bag from their patches line.

windowshopping

Joys of veganism and pleather! I know of a vegan guitar strap maker, buuuut I had to do some google work to find some decent purses. Most of the purses I found were hideous.

This was the best I saw via Peta2:
http://www.mattandnat.com/

26-12-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun3machina View Post
I THOUGHT ABOUT THIS FOR QUITE A WHILE...and while leather bags are dead animals....synthetic bags and the process that they go through to manufacture those synthetics are way more harmful to the environment as a whole than killing animals for their skins....but i do agree with spiralsnowman...between a rock and a hardplace....or a ball of melted plastic VS a carcass....
making synthetic bags is more harmful to the environment than killing animals until you factor in how harmful it is to the environment to raise those animals the way they do, and the fact that the chemicals used, and the amounts used, to tan the leather are worse for the environment than making pvc.
my personal issue with these vegan bags is that they run from homespun and kitchy to cheap and ugly looking. and as much as i admire what matt & nat is trying to do i could never carry around a knockoff. why can't someone make a line of vegan bags that is as chic and elegant as the leather bags? i wish i had the talent to do it myself. not everyone who cares about animals wants to look like a hippie.

backstage pass

i agree eman. i hate vegan bags. eating vegan is very easy for me, wearing vegan isn't. i wish they made rich elegant vegan bags not this weird plastic ****.

30-12-2007
V.I.P.

someoe should do some high end hemp/silk/organic cotton bags for vegans....

www.thegirllovesmj.blogspot.com
30-12-2007
backstage pass

silk isn't vegan.

01-01-2008
fashion icon

are the stella bags worth the price?

This is the Renaissance

Are any status/designer handbags really worth the price? That's a personal decision, I think. :p

That being said, it is nice that one can buy a Stella bag and know for a fact that it's designer and cruelty-free. (I've had success with Prada, Kate Spade and Vivienne Westwood but it's hit and miss.) I suppose that one could argue that manmade materials do not hold up as well as leather and may not be worth it from a financial v. ethical standpoint. As much as I have wanted to, I've never really loved any of her bags though. Shoes, yes.

Lately, I've been into the Harvey Seat-Belt bags. And I have to agree about the pervious statements here - just because I'm a vegan, that does not make me a hippie!

07-10-2009
front row

Can anyone id Ellen Page's bag? It has a golden/orange tag on it but I sure can't read it or recognize the brand.

tlfan.to

08-10-2009
windowshopping

I bought a this bag from Charles & Keith. I don't think any of their bags are leather but they still look supple. High recommended!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bags, handbags, nonleather, vegan