How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-03-2007
windowshopping

the Original Birkin Bag
In researching a new book I’m doing (on the Complete and Entire History of French Pop)( in twohundredthousandwordsorless) I’ve come to realize that the real Birkin bag existed long before Jane B made her little sketch for Hermes.

Photo after photo, year after year of the ultra-photgenic micro-mini-skirted, maxi-coated lttle thing featured her swinging along on the arm of Serge Gainsbourg, and swinging along on the other arm, not a purse, nor a bag, nor a clutch, but a simple straw basket. Genius chic, personal style perfection.

Anybody here know anything more about any of this? I'd love to have more than just a clue.
(And advance apologies for any raw-fresh newbie etiquette issues -- first post ever.....
Best to all.
Monsieur Boule

07-03-2007
tfs star

The Birkin is based on the historic "Haut a Courroies," the very first bag Hermes produced circa 1892 that was originally intended for use as a saddle bag. The first Birkin was brought to life in 1984 and bore the name of the woman (Jane Birkin) who inspired it. I hope this helps.

07-03-2007
windowshopping

intriguing
This helps much.... and in an unexpected way. I was going for more info on Jane B's basket, but this sends me off in a new way.
The typical story is something about how Jane sketched up her ideal bag and Hermes merely executed, but what you suggest has far more substance and intrigues me. thanks!

07-03-2007
still here

I've heard that she inspired the birkin in the sense that in a conversation (I think it was on a plane ride or something?) she did a little drawing of what was wrong about the HAC and how it could be made better for her needs, and the birkin was born.

07-03-2007
front row

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermès

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Birkin

front row

^ I wouldn't use wikipedia as a real source.

08-03-2007
front row

I would and I do.

tfs star

What do these links have to do with OP's question?

08-03-2007
front row

She was asking about the original birkin bag, am I correct? The links merely give information about the Birkin bag and Jane Birkin and her collaberation with then President of Hermes and their collaberation on the design of the bag. AND, it was merely a link for the asker of the question. SHE has every right not to use the info. in the link.

windowshopping

the Birkin basket
Thanks to all for the ongoing feedback.

As a clarification, I was -- and am -- looking for more info, history, on Jane B sort of innovating her own style/method of rockin' the straw basket. Anything will be appreciated, and learning more about the genesis of Hermes & the "official" Birkin bag (verseus "The Birkin Basket" is really worthwhile to me as well

Coming from a background of journalism d'ancienne ecole, I absolutely use the Wikipedia but I don't consider it definitive, or a quotable source. It fills me in, but doesn't fill me up...

08-03-2007
front row

I have found some other interesting information. PM me and I will provide the links to you.

tfs star

Here is a tidbit of info that may be of interest to you, boulevardier:

About 15 years ago, he (Dumas) found himself on a plane next to Jane Birkin, actress, singer, and professional waif, and he noticed that she kept her possessions in an old straw basket. He invited her to the shop to help design a bag that would keep everything together. The result was a sort of hippie version of the Kelly called the Birkin, now so profound an object of desire that it makes women slavish: They'll take it in the wrong size, the wrong color—which is very un-Hermès. (Better a bag like the Plume that's really discreet, that no one can quite identify, that shows how confident you are).

Taken from here:

http://www.geocities.com/globalsunset/Hermes.html

And here are a couple of pics (Jane with her beloved basket and Jane with the Birkin bag) taken from Jane Birkin style thread here on tFS:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jane Birkin.jpg (31.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Jane Birkin with Birkin.jpg (78.5 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Love$2shop; 08-03-2007 at 09:55 AM.
08-03-2007
windowshopping

thanks for those photos, especially the one of Jane with bulldog, limp sox, and loose bag....!! (How's that for slob chic?)
Hav - have sent PM, I think but I'm such a newb I may have not....

Meanwhile, for what it's worth, if you were to look at my avatar with a microscope, you'd see Jane and Serge photoshopped into the notable Toulouse-Lautrec image of the boulevardier ogling the showgirl.....
too tiny, actually, to be of much humor here...

08-03-2007
front row

Got it. I sent a lot to you.

front row

Got it. I sent a lot to you.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bag, birkin, original