How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-08-2006
V.I.P.

I saw many so called "oversized" bags, but IMHO they were just large. I rarely see an oversized bag...if you work in the financial or legal world, it's quite common to carry a legal size bag...and I think that it makes perfect sense. As long as one carries a bag for the purpose of function, I think that it's legitimate. If one carries an oversized for the sake of having an oversized bag, then that's called fashion victim.

07-08-2006
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by klow-chloe'
It funny how it doesn't bother much to some when you see a big girl carry a tiny weeny bag but not for a small girl with her big bag.
seems like it would be just as unappealing- no...???
out of proportion is out of proportion...
and equally unattractive imho...

i cannot stand those tiny tiny little logo bags you see all the high school girls wearing in the mall..
i don't know WHO that is supposed to be for except a child...and why does a child need a purse?!?...

but there aren't just tiny and huge...
what on earth is wrong with a MEDIUM sized bag......

i am starting to develop a theory...

07-08-2006
V.I.P.

^ I see so many TINY bags in my town, litterally about the size of my makeup bag, sometimes smaller. I always hated them

I agree with klow and PrincessImp with that they said. Often I carry my muse or my spy just becuase I need the extra room. I have a few small, medium, and large bags but the larger ones seem to get the most use. But I also do like the juxtaposition of someone smallish with a big bag even when I dont use up all the space inside.

07-08-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
seems like it would be just as unappealing- no...???
out of proportion is out of proportion...
and equally unattractive imho...

IMO - to be an attractive girl is not just your handbag that made you an attractive girl. It all includes your personallity, your clothes your overall look handbag just an accessory to complete your look. So overall if you don't have a personallity your look that attracts others no matter what handbag you're carrying won't make any different.

"Men hate it when their women criticize other females
.....Jealousy get woman nowhere"

07-08-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_<3_chanel
'fashionistas of all ages & IQs now routinely suffer from bag elbow, bag shoulder or bag shin . . . there is a health issue here. and these bags take over. they require their own seat on the bus. they barge into people, winding them in the organic vegetable aisle. in short, they are the 4x4s of the accessory world - too big, too brash and too noisy.'
I like the look of big bags. I also like to carry a lot of stuff around with me. The problem is that when the bags get too large I carry too much, and as a result I suffer from some pretty bad back pains.

So, as far as style is concerned a big yay from me, but in reality I should be dragging a small samsonite behind me if I don't want be a hunchback when I'm 40.

07-08-2006
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by klow-chloe'
IMO - to be an attractive girl is not just your handbag that made you an attractive girl. It all includes your personallity, your clothes your overall look handbag just an accessory to complete your look. So overall if you don't have a personallity your look that attracts others no matter what handbag you're carrying won't make any different.
that's kind of obvious..no...??...:p
...i wasn't referring to the attractiveness of the girl/woman...
but of the OUTFIT...not the SAME by any stretch of the imagination...

anyway...if you like having your bag be the focus of your outfit- good for you...
i enjoy putting together a balanced and chic silhouette...

07-08-2006
trendsetter

definetly yay, as long as you can't fit mary kate in it your good to go

07-08-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
that's kind of obvious..no...??...:p
...i wasn't referring to the attractiveness of the girl/woman...
but of the OUTFIT...not the SAME by any stretch of the imagination...

anyway...if you like having your bag be the focus of your outfit- good for you...
i enjoy putting together a balanced and chic silhouette...
Well! my point is if a girl is not dressing well and carry a perfect size handbag that won't make her look attractive. Same if I see a girl with the perfect
outfit with either a small size bag (not perfect portportion with her body) or the large size bag that can be complemented her outfit I rather find her attractive - IMO.

I always make sure that "my overall look" not just the handbag and obviously my oversized bag must be complement to my outfit.

Good for you though that you enjoy putting together a blanced and chic silhouette...
But I don't think it should bother you too much seeing others have their own right how they want to put their outfits or their bags together.

"Men hate it when their women criticize other females
.....Jealousy get woman nowhere"

07-08-2006
V.I.P.

i think its a good psychological thing for me to have both huge oversized bags, and teesy weensy lil bags. it's like treatment for me to bust out my lil bags and realize i really dont NEED everything i carry around with me on a daily basis. but i have to say, i do get stressed like those lab animals when i only have the bare essentials. so i use my smaller bags infrequently. i dont want to stress myself out like that too much.....it's so nice to throw all my crap in a nice big bag and just squeeze it for the pure satifaction of knowing you are prepared for almost anything. it's a weird sense of security...

07-08-2006
Of too many minds

^I definitely know what you mean jun, I'm with you.
With a huge bag, I just get lazy and lug it around for weeks and weeks without switching handbags.

I like to look put-together..but sometimes a little "not too put-together" is good and chic in its own way too.
The proportions may look off to others, but if at the end of the day, if you feel good with your outfit and your large bag, that's what will make you throw your shoulders back and walk with a spring in your step.

{*princessimp.blogspot.com*}
08-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
that is geometry and is obviously relative to the size of the individual...
there is not way to answer that question without specifics...:p

but i think it's a 'visual' thing that isn't really THAT hard to see...
at least not for me anyway...
if you have a good sense of space and proportion...you should be able to tell...
You said it softie! It's down to proportions, I totally agree. I adore large bags simply because I can throw everything into it and it fits my size. (I'm 5'8") Apart from evening bags / purses, I dislike teeny weeny bags for the day but I think they'd look cute on someone more petite. The 2nd bag in the first post is gorgeous!

08-08-2006
front row

i make oversized bags so i am very partial to them. as long as they are light i will carry them just with my phone and wallet in them. i like the proportion and think they add to outfits. tie things together in line. and i like to hide behind mine so it is a psychological thing for me too.

God Save McQueen

i always like the idea of an oversized bag, i guess if that is the right way to say it. like, i see all the oversized bags in pictures and whatever, and i love them. i want them, they are awesome

but in real life, they just feel ridiculous. i dunno, im at a store and i try a bag on, i just dont feel like they work for me

08-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessImp.
^I definitely know what you mean jun, I'm with you.
With a huge bag, I just get lazy and lug it around for weeks and weeks without switching handbags.

I like to look put-together..but sometimes a little "not too put-together" is good and chic in its own way too.
The proportions may look off to others, but if at the end of the day, if you feel good with your outfit and your large bag, that's what will make you throw your shoulders back and walk with a spring in your step.
beautifully stated!!!

Last edited by jun3machina; 08-08-2006 at 10:21 PM.
08-08-2006
tfs star

Love them.

Large, light bags are my only option...I have a lot of stuff to carry around for work, and if I do some shopping I like to toss it all in there and not worry about multiple bags. I like them proportionally too, as I'm taller then most Japanese girls.

It's so annoying though when your belongings swim around in the bag and it takes ages to just find your wallet!
And I HAVE sent my share of people hurtling accross the room when I swing around with my bag...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bags, discussion, nay, oversized, yay