Oversized bags - yay or nay? Discussion - Page 8 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-08-2006
V.I.P.

i just thought it was way too funny not to post...it retails about $400 some odd dollars....a nice alternative to those chanel patent bags that look a little hefty-like to me....

www.thegirllovesmj.blogspot.com
30-08-2006
raj
front row

I just ordered that marc bag to see what it looks like IRL......Hopefully it won't look that bad on me as it does on that model.

30-08-2006
raj
front row

I've never bought from his diffusion line, does the stuff hold up?.....oh well, this could be my cheap throw around bag.

30-08-2006
V.I.P.

marc by marc jacobs bags are just as nice as his higher line...its just he uses a lot of canvas with leather details rather than full leather....but for fall 06 it seems he's going a little more upscale with the marc by marc line, and the prices have gone up as well as his use of all leather. you should check out the marc by marc jacobs thread i started. there are a bunch of pics of peoples bags as well as past seasons bags

03-09-2006
still here

from the NYTimes

Quote:
Big Bag Bigger, Biggest

By ELLEN TIEN Published: September 3, 2006

It’s the year of the hefty bag: supersize pocketbooks that are substantial enough to balance out hoof-like platforms and wedges and roomy enough to carry three diet delivery meals or let sylphlike celebutantes climb in and hide from those hectoring paparazzi. The new U-Hauls are as wide as most female arms are long and are all about texture, contrast and high luxury. Below are seven bags for living extra-large.

1. The buttery soft Delancey Jessica by Rafé comes in cognac leather with chocolate brown braid detailing and a zip top ($595 at Gatsbys in Great Barrington, Mass., 413-528-9455).

2. A roomy midnight-blue cotton satchel by Marc by Marc Jacobs has knotted ties on each side, an interior snap closure and is a more affordable counterpoint to a season of extreme consumption ($148 at www.eLuxury.com).

3. An oversize hobo in gold python by Devi Kroell has been updated in metallic beige, burgundy, black anthracite, olive, bronze and silver, too ($2,890 at Devi Kroell in East Hampton, N.Y., 631-329-2700 or www.devikroell.com).

4. Cynthia Rowley mixes dark brown leather and moss green brocade to make a boho hobo with deliciously slouchy style ($525 at Cynthia Rowley in New York, 212-242-3803).

5. Yves Saint Laurent, the company that launched a thousand sore shoulders with its Muse bag, now introduces the Double, a tote that is fully reversible, in chocolate brown/bronze or black/anthracite ($1,195 at Yves Saint Laurent boutiques and Neiman Marcus stores).

6. One of the year’s fastest sellouts, the colossal shiny black Coco Cabas from Chanel is made of waterproof canvas with ruthenium metal details ($1,225 at Bergdorf Goodman 212-753-7300).

7. A teal calfskin fan hobo by Botkier is neat yet sexy, with two tasseled diagonal front-zip pockets and a front stirrup belt clasp (also in black and cognac, $695 at www.botkier.com).

03-09-2006
V.I.P.

is it wrong that I like that giant gold python one (#3)?

V.I.P.

of course you all know what this means, right? super tiny shrunken bags for spring.....

03-09-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun3machina
of course you all know what this means, right? super tiny shrunken bags for spring.....
not a style bandwagon I'll be jumping on!
I'll just revert back to medium sized ones I guess

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun3machina
hah, hah, jun3machina!! I was just thinking that very same thing when i saw that nytimes article yesterday! oh well, guess i'll just have to hide my bags for awhile - just kidding! love my big bags!!

04-09-2006
fashion insider

the botkier hobo is NOT that big irl. the leather on that bag is completely scrumptious compared to older botkier bags i've seen.

the chanel bag looks massive there, but looked decent in the ads...or was that the same bag, just in a different size?

still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesiren
the chanel bag looks massive there, but looked decent in the ads...or was that the same bag, just in a different size?
I know the vinyl one comes in two sizes, judging by the price in the pic above that is the larger one of the two, but I'm not sure exactly which ones were in the ads.

04-09-2006
flaunt the imperfection

omg..this thread has gotten very funny...
see--- i am not the only one who's been noticing...
the media has caught on!!...

i think fashion week should be MOST entertaining...
hooflike platforms and hefty bags...:p

awesome......bring it on!!!...

04-09-2006
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilettogirl84
is it wrong that I like that giant gold python one (#3)?
i like #2...
but it's not on eluxury...must have sold out or it hasn't come in yet...
dang!!

04-09-2006
V.I.P.

This trend makes shopping for bags online really difficult

I saw a gorgeous forest green bag satchel at anthropologie.com (reminiscent of the black & red I have now Old habits!)..
but when I clicked on it for a closer peek... it turned out to be like a suitcase

Proportion is so hard to guage in a picture of a bag alone! Measurements, measurements, measurements :p

Last edited by Curious; 04-09-2006 at 10:00 AM.
04-09-2006
leave me with your Borneo

i saw that big patent marc by marc jacobs tote online yesterday, i think it's super cute. i'm only 5'2" though so i don't think i could comfortably carry it.... haha. it's large on the model and she's probably quite tall.

oh, and marc by marc jacobs bags are beautifully made, and hold up veryvery well.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bags, discussion, nay, oversized, yay