How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-04-2004
scenester

I've been enjoying reading all the debate about fakes, but the subject of quality of fakes set me wondering. Does anyone feel that some designers of the AUTHENTIC bags are cutting corners with their accessories recently?
I'm thinking LV and Dior where some of the designs, IMO look pretty Even if I dont like a bag I usually can still appreciate its quality but a look round LV in Edinburgh didn't overly impress me and it seems like older bags I've seen were just made better.

13-04-2004
front row

On this board people have mentioned how things broke or fell off of either shoes or handbags...I hope people arent spending hundreds and thousands of dollars on handbags thinking they will last forever... Most people buy it for status and "style"...I know some of you say its the quality and craftmenship and history.. I really dont buy that ::: sorry ...or at least maybe it has to do with it a little bit.. but lets keep it real

13-04-2004
scenester

Quote:
Originally posted by Missy44x@Apr 13th, 2004 - 10:32 am
Most people buy it for status and "style"...I know some of you say its the quality and craftmenship and history.. I really dont buy that ::: sorry ...or at least maybe it has to do with it a little bit.. but lets keep it real
I DO want my bags to last forever - so I'll go for Mulberry and the like because they do last and they age well. I haven't seen a Theda close up but it doesn't look it would last the course, for example....
I put up the post because, when I was a student I was lucky enough to find genuine Dior and Gucci in thrift shops and they had just lasted so well. It didn't seem that today's versions were as sturdy.
Although as a nod to what you've said I buy the bag because I love it and if I happened to fall apart (esp with heavy use) after a while I guess that would just be tough.
I would still be upset if this happened to my Bayswater tho...

13-04-2004
V.I.P.

al the designer bags ive bought and have broke... i got NEW ones in exchange. whether it was GUCCI or LV. so service is a big part that helps me trusting the designer bags in terms of quality

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
13-04-2004
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally posted by leyla m.@Apr 13th, 2004 - 9:22 pm
al the designer bags ive bought and have broke... i got NEW ones in exchange. whether it was GUCCI or LV. so service is a big part that helps me trusting the designer bags in terms of quality
Absolutely!!

I bought a brown Mulberry bag, carried it everywhere; a year after I bought it I started wearing a sand coloured jacket instead of my standard issue black ones. The bag actually stained the jacket, and the sales people actually knew/realised something was wrong and offered me to choose a new bag! That's service!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by leyla m.@Apr 13th, 2004 - 4:22 pm
how quickly did they break? up until how long will they provide such a service if the bag fails to hold up?

13-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by meowmix+Apr 14th, 2004 - 1:22 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(meowmix @ Apr 14th, 2004 - 1:22 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-leyla m.@Apr 13th, 2004 - 4:22 pm
how quickly did they break? up until how long will they provide such a service if the bag fails to hold up? [/b][/quote]
well theh gucci bag had a broken bamboo handle. and i even had not bought it off them. they still changed an dgave me a NEW one. it just broke cos someone stepped on it while clubbin

LV has a lifetime garanty

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
14-04-2004
front row

I thought lv had a 3 year one.. u sure?

02-05-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Missy44x@Apr 14th, 2004 - 9:29 am
I thought lv had a 3 year one.. u sure?
No, it's definitely lifetime. LV keeps the serial numbers of every single bag they make, and use that for future reference and repair and such. Hermes and a few others do the same.

28-09-2005
windowshopping

LV Guarantee
Are you sure? I've heard that you have to pay for every repair for your LV items and the repair service is pretty expensive and slow. So how about the lifetime guarantee?

28-09-2005
scenester

The only brand I get bugged is with Gucci. I have one purse where the strap is peeling apart from the glue. Quite Upsetting.
The other is a Chanel purse I have where the strap chain will just come off the bag when it wants too.

Regardless, I've already come to grips that Chanel is a high maintenance purse with its supple leather. So I'm not complaining. I do like the style.

LV is pretty durable although I dont care much for the styles presently. :

Does anyone know if the Hermes Togo Leather scratches easily? I havent worn my Kelly yet. I need to know if its going to be a high maintenance bag.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
No, it's definitely lifetime. LV keeps the serial numbers of every single bag they make, and use that for future reference and repair and such. Hermes and a few others do the same.
My bag broke after 1.5 years and I had to pay. It took 4 months to get my bag back being they send them to the factory in California. Also
the numbers inside the bags are dates of manufature. The letters in the beginning of the numbers is where it was manufactured.

Last edited by bagqueen; 28-09-2005 at 07:09 AM.
28-09-2005
V.I.P.

^ hmm i think that's true... i remember once i went into a boutique and there was a guy there with a chewed up ipod case (dog)... they told him that with the amt and time it would take to get it repaired, he's better off buying another one...
i think in terms of repairs and refurbishing and such, it also depends on your relationship with the store...
in terms of quality nowadays, i'm seeing more and more things manufactured in china, or made by machine rather than by hand... and yet the prices are going up up up. some designers have managed to uphold a certain level of quality, while with others it really varies, such as with balenciaga leathers and the fendi spy bags. however, even though some louis vuitton items are produced in united states or spain, i've never had any problems with any of my lv items... no matter what country they were produced in.

28-09-2005
V.I.P.

just curious for future reference....how do you go about an LV repair?? i just bought a croissant and a speedy this year and if anything goes wrong, god forbid, what does LV cover and what dont they cover?? like for example, do you have to pay them for a broken zipper or zipper pull? an info at all would be fantastic!

28-09-2005
offline.

Quality has gone down, of course.. it's all about making the bags quicker...

There are so many vintage bags out there that are excellent quality... and so many modern bags that break...

Vicki Originals was a company of one of my professors.... he's in his 80's now.. his bags were awesome... i even bought a few off of ebay.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bags, designer, quality, worse