How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-07-2005
Your pm box is full buggy

No crap. But it's the only way to know for sure.

27-07-2005
front row

if you look really really close at leather, it will have pores. vinyl usually doesn't, and if it does, they're usually really regular and even-looking. plus, that smell

27-07-2005
Your pm box is full buggy

The only leather that shows pores, if any is pigskin.... and most skins are treated so that the pores are invisible on the face of the skin.

02-08-2005
windowshopping

I finally found out that the small bag I bought with "genuine leather with manmade trim" on it is real leather. I had an expert to see the bag and he can prove it is real leather.

02-08-2005
trendsetter

I heard you should scratch gently with your fingernail: genuine leather will scratch but pleather wont...so far it seems to work, but does it always apply?

05-08-2006
scenester

on stiff leather i like to bite it too, my louis vuittons, yup the straps are so biteable, they never damage... i heard my cousin (who likes to bite too.) has a girlfriend that has a fake LV vavin pm, and she bit the strap, the lining ripped off

06-08-2006
V.I.P.

hahahah/\

i can tell right away....i have fun going into departent stores and testing myself to see how quick (and by visuals alone sometimes, i know... im a a weirdo) i can determine if a bag is leather or not. another way to tell without ripping the seams is by rolling a piece of folded leather on a bg in your finger tips. like, take the side of a bag and kinda pinch it, so you can feel the backing of the material through the part you pinched. if you squueze and roll a little in your fingers, you should be able to feel either a smooth or synthetic feeling back, like what is on pleather, or a kind of smooth friction which would mean it has a suede backing, it feels like suede on suede and kind of resists a a lil'. and since manufacturers cant take the suede from the leather, this is almost ALWAYS a determining factor. tommy hilfiger bags used to confuse me....because their pleather looks a lot like leather and the leather they do use is crappy quality and stiff, but i started doing this and can tell like that!

06-08-2006
trendsetter

Sorry PETA but I hate that Pleather stuff - it does not have the (sexy) smell of leather, it is not long lasting and (if u wear shoes) it makes you feet sweat. Make sure it is leather and yeah you can tell by smelling it and the feel is better too.

06-08-2006
front row

most non leather bags have this plasticy glaze and when the bag 'sits' down it does not fold like a real leather bag would do imo

06-08-2006
V.I.P.

what i dont get with peta is what about all those bugs and stuff on fear factor? they're living creatures too and IMO have just as much relevance as animals with fur. and (honest question!!!) are all peta people vegetarians? im serious. are they hardcore or is it generally just a non-fur/leather thing?

and a lil' devils advocate here, but isn't it more harmful to the environment to produce pleather products that polute the environment with chemicals emitted from synthetic plants and take years to bio-degrade (if they even do at all) than killing animals??? i dunno....guess everyone has their biffs....

07-08-2006
windowshopping

nowaday, the merchants spray the pleather products with 'leather-smell' perfume(something chemical)! so the pleather products smell like real leather!

Last edited by himmy520; 07-08-2006 at 01:06 AM.
06-06-2008
trendsetter

You can also try to burn it with a lighter. Pretty much pretend you're spraying something to your bag with a lit lighter and see if it burns. leather will stay exactly the same because it doesnt burn, and everything else.. YIKESS!! make sure you try it on a blind spot. and do not hold the lighter on the same spot for too long!! you might burn your whole house!!

06-06-2008
tfs star

usually i judged from the smell LOL, the smell of real leather can't lie

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bag, leather, leatherlike, real