How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-10-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou. View Post
There are nice fakes out there, I've bought a few Louis Vuitton bags. But, it wasn't a money issue. I have disposable income, I'd rather not spend a large portion of it on accessories. Less money on the real thing, where accessories are concerned, means more money elsewhere. That's what it boils down to for me. I don't get a thrill knowing I paid 5x more for "quality." If it looks good and looks like it won't fall apart in 13 days then I'll buy it. Of course, I also have loaded friends who occasionally give me their rejects....... you know the ones who get bored easily.
Ya I know what you mean. So does any of your friend does it?

Do you see it as a trend that even with disposable incomes, where you can obviously afford them you will still consider the fake ones?

27-10-2008
windowshopping

The ones with money don't. Big surprise there. I know others who do it because they don't use animal products.

Others do it because they get a thrill wearing a bag that looks a lot more expensive that it actually is. I definitely think it's a trend. Disposable income only goes so far and people want it to stretch as much as humanly possible.

27-10-2008
front row

Well i feel bad spending my whole paycheck (maybe a few whole paychecks) on a bag... so i saved up and bought a used but authentic LV from Ebay.. but even now i really want an Hermes birkin...but HA the thousands..no. So im thinking about getting a fake..

27-10-2008
fashion insider

I never bought a fake mostly because i would not consider buying a low quality leather bag or a bag that was not made of leather.The good fakes are not cheap also so I would prefer to buy the real thing without a brand. That for the same money will always be superior.

But from my experience not all the persons buy fake to give the illusion that they are wearing the real thing, my cousin buys exclusively fake bags because the design is "trendy", the design is in fashion,a fake is as good as a real one for the purpose, if you understand what I mean. She doesn't need people to think that she's wearing a real Marc Jacobs for example, she never pretends they are real, it's enough for her to know that she's wearing a trendy design and people will think she's fashionable because of it.

Last edited by Les_Sucettes; 27-10-2008 at 05:55 PM.
29-10-2008
backstage pass

The real reason people buy the real bags are for the exclusivity of the brand. It all boils down to the name if I'm completely honest .. but think about it, the exclusivity of most brands are all boiled down now because of fakes & knockoffs, so why not buy a fake if you want to carry a bag in the same style of another bag you cannot afford? This could be very arguable because on the other hand if people stop buying fake bags, it could potentially put an end to this ... I haven't and will never buy fake bags because of the quality and also I feel high rewarding myself with a lovely bag.

front row

We love handbags (speaking generally vs brands) because we all love fashion by nature.

When I was 12 or 13, before I even knew there were brand names, I had a keen eye for what I liked and made it happen, i.e. purchase a bag that called out to me, never knowing it was inspired or knockoff or whatever. It was only later when I started buying fashon magazines that I found out there were actual brandname originals attached to what I liked.

I purchase what catches my fancy but not sure if it will be a permanent acquisition or most times money is tight; it's more or less a test drive to satisfy some urge. I bought a fake LV and eventually bought the genuine one as I just fell in love with it and I knew this was going to be a permanent staple in my collection. I had gotten a fake Balenciaga, and because it was of such good quality, my "quest" was satisfactorily satiated. Of course, members go on to get the genuine and that's all good.

30-10-2008
scenester

I've been surprised to find that there are quite a lot of people who can afford the real thing but choose to buy the good fakes. I fall into that group, as well. For me, it's a combination of simple math and being practical. The less money I spend on a certain bag, the more money I can use to buy other things: clothes, shoes, make-up, geekery, and more bags.

02-11-2008
windowshopping

I bought fakes and I thought i wanted a real bag, bought one and i just dont get the same buzz as I do with fakes. The fakes me happy, where as I dont like taking the real one out, I have to worry bout damaging/losing her and when i compared her to her fake version I realised I really cudnt tell the difference, which just kinda makes me feel a bit ripped off and a bit of a mug, and i guess guilty. Also im slightly embarrased to tell people that i spent that much money on a bag, but Im happy to tell people my fakes arent real when they admire them. So my oh offered to but me another real one fopr my bd, but ive told him i prefer the fakes, and besides i could get 10 fakes for the price of one real one, and if you know where to get them the quality can be just as good for a fraction of the price, which makes me feel goooooooood!

04-11-2008
front row

If I would carry a fake bag, I would feel like I'm betraying myself...it's like carrying a bag for the wrong reasons (status..) or most of the time the design is off.
Also, I've read articles about factory workers working 20 hours a day chained to machines...this makes me sad because this is an illegal industry with absolutely no control. That's why I'm not buying fakes, I'd rather buy an original bag from an artisan.

04-11-2008
trendsetter

Here's my take: I'm not into status symbols, so I wouldn't want to buy an LV logo bag or Hermes Birkin even if I could afford to. None of those instantly recognizable bags. However I do love the look of some designer bags, Chloe and Balenciaga in particular. I appreciate their design. I've never bought a fake and tried to pass it off as real, but I have purchased bags inspired by those brands. I have a black quilted bag with an interwoven metal and leather strap from Accessorize that I love; it's clearly inspired by the classic Chanel bag, but I don't consider it a knock-off.

04-11-2008
PrettySmileyStew ♥

last year when I was in NY I got a fake Chanel bag, but that's because I'm only a high school student that doesnt have enough for the real one.

I dont try to pass it off as real though.
If someone asks "Is that real?" I tell them no.

plus, none of those name brands are where I live.
yes, I'm telling the truth.

14-11-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpot View Post
If I would carry a fake bag, I would feel like I'm betraying myself...it's like carrying a bag for the wrong reasons (status..) or most of the time the design is off.
Also, I've read articles about factory workers working 20 hours a day chained to machines...this makes me sad because this is an illegal industry with absolutely no control. That's why I'm not buying fakes, I'd rather buy an original bag from an artisan.
I don't understand your resoning here, why is it more likely that a person with a fake bag seeks status than a person with a real bag?

14-11-2008
windowshopping

Ya I am sure they do, especially with the credit crunch now.

Thank you!

14-11-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_roses_x View Post
Well i feel bad spending my whole paycheck (maybe a few whole paychecks) on a bag... so i saved up and bought a used but authentic LV from Ebay.. but even now i really want an Hermes birkin...but HA the thousands..no. So im thinking about getting a fake..
Haha, I think we all want a Birkin.

xx

14-11-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
I never bought a fake mostly because i would not consider buying a low quality leather bag or a bag that was not made of leather.The good fakes are not cheap also so I would prefer to buy the real thing without a brand. That for the same money will always be superior.

But from my experience not all the persons buy fake to give the illusion that they are wearing the real thing, my cousin buys exclusively fake bags because the design is "trendy", the design is in fashion,a fake is as good as a real one for the purpose, if you understand what I mean. She doesn't need people to think that she's wearing a real Marc Jacobs for example, she never pretends they are real, it's enough for her to know that she's wearing a trendy design and people will think she's fashionable because of it.
Ya I do understand what you are talking about. With the fashion trend changes so fast. Its quite hard to keep up with it sometimes. Been fashionable is great! That way you will always have the latest. Haha..

xx

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, buy, fakes, love