How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-11-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato. View Post
The real reason people buy the real bags are for the exclusivity of the brand. It all boils down to the name if I'm completely honest .. but think about it, the exclusivity of most brands are all boiled down now because of fakes & knockoffs, so why not buy a fake if you want to carry a bag in the same style of another bag you cannot afford? This could be very arguable because on the other hand if people stop buying fake bags, it could potentially put an end to this ... I haven't and will never buy fake bags because of the quality and also I feel high rewarding myself with a lovely bag.
Agreed!

xxx

14-11-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbelly View Post
I've been surprised to find that there are quite a lot of people who can afford the real thing but choose to buy the good fakes. I fall into that group, as well. For me, it's a combination of simple math and being practical. The less money I spend on a certain bag, the more money I can use to buy other things: clothes, shoes, make-up, geekery, and more bags.
Ya, I found that too, when I was in Thailand, the Russians are buying not just 1 or 2, they are buying like a suitcase of them..

05-12-2009
windowshopping

I have never bought a fake bag.

I think buying fakes as well as overpriced bags can both cause guilt and discomfort.

05-12-2009
rising star

I have bought two fake LV's when i was like 16 but I never wear them...
I'm still a student, and i don't want my parents to buy me designer stuff, i think it's a little sad when you let your parents buy you designerstuff.
But my first designer bag will be a chanel 2.55

06-12-2009
windowshopping

I havent bought any fake designer thing , because , I wouldnt like to carry fake one just for brend and stamp - I am cool , i can ' aford designer ' bag .

If I would like design , I better try to find something else like it , but not fake .
Or , I just would save money , so I could buy it latter .

And as in my country we dont have all those brand shops , and all those fake bags are in market , then it looks much more sad to me - ' high fashion ' bag near to tomatoes , or scraps .

07-12-2009
windowshopping

In my country, fake designer goods are like everywhere. Many people even dont know that brandname. Everyone carry Louis Vuitton bag (lol). Even some never seen in any collection too.

When i was little kid, i had Chanel bag, DG clothes, blah blah blah.. It were just normal thing in my country. But then when I had a chance to study fashion, i know that real thing worth the price. And i think it's really a shame to buy a fake designer thing.

07-12-2009
V.I.P.

I own auths and fakes.

Fakes that are well made are OK. I usually sell the one when I feel they look weird.

And why do I buy fakes? "Cuz I ain't got tha money!!!!!!" :p

08-12-2009
THE STRANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato. View Post
The real reason people buy the real bags are for the exclusivity of the brand. It all boils down to the name if I'm completely honest .. but think about it, the exclusivity of most brands are all boiled down now because of fakes & knockoffs, so why not buy a fake if you want to carry a bag in the same style of another bag you cannot afford? This could be very arguable because on the other hand if people stop buying fake bags, it could potentially put an end to this ... I haven't and will never buy fake bags because of the quality and also I feel high rewarding myself with a lovely bag.
Agreed! I think you've hit it spot on.

I would never buy a fake. I'd rather buy a handbag with no brand name than a fake. The counterfeit industry is sick - and the stuff that goes on behind the scenes is shocking. International terrorism and several criminal networks are funded by a wide array of sources including the huge profits they make from counterfeit designer products.

Last edited by michyed; 08-12-2009 at 04:56 AM.
08-12-2009
rising star

I love Balenciaga and Chanel - and I treasure my bag collection. After owning authentic designer bags I know I could never buy a fake. I'd rather have a no name bag than a fake Chanel.

front row

Many of you are straying from the question ... I think it mostly pertains to people who actually, um, buy fakes not abhor the idea all together and label people who do buy them as, "phonies" etc. Trust me, the anti-fake handbag propaganda isn't going to work on die-hard fake fans . All products we buy (with the exception of American Apparel, ha) are probably made in a way that would sicken most normal people, that includes luxury items as well, who seem to get into legal trouble for inhumane working conditions; and for those of you who are animal-rights activists... the injustices are horrifyingly inhumane, just ask how Hermes kills ostriches. The fact that most companies now use factories to make their bags puts the quality only a few notches higher than the best of reps.

I don't think it's about status. Some people really just want the same designs for an affordable price. Realistically, how much do designer handbags cost to produce... they couldn't be more than, maybe, $500.

Last edited by sanitizedfashion; 08-12-2009 at 09:49 PM.
08-12-2009
THE STRANGER

^How could you even compare terrorism to animal rights and harsh working conditions? (Not to mention the counterfeit industry is guilty of sponsoring criminal activity, involuntary prostitution, child labor. I've seen it with my own eyes.) And do you think workers in the counterfeit factories actually have it well off?

Dismiss it as propaganda all you like, really.

fashion insider

i own fake and real. basically i dont believe a bag can/could cost more than 500/piece. what's it better between real and fake? does the real one guarantee to last 10 years?
im paying 100-200 (max) for a fake and so far the longest fakes last at least 3 years of everyday use.
so let's do the math: 200/3 years, 1k bag should last me 15 years....i dont think LV will last that long- look at those disgusting used LV on ebay....erk...
it's the matter of moral issue to me. yes, it is not right to use fake, you r not supporting the real company...but it supports my wallet...and that makes me happy.
the real ones i own are chloe bags. simply because...fake chloes are not good. so im willing to pay 500 or less for chloe bags. with 500, i can easily get a great condition/like new chloe...and that's the max i will pay.

Last edited by baby_yorkie; 09-12-2009 at 10:15 PM.
12-12-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by michyed View Post
^How could you even compare terrorism to animal rights and harsh working conditions? (Not to mention the counterfeit industry is guilty of sponsoring criminal activity, involuntary prostitution, child labor. I've seen it with my own eyes.) And do you think workers in the counterfeit factories actually have it well off?

Dismiss it as propaganda all you like, really.
Nowhere in my post did I liken terrorism to animal rights and harsh working conditions. Although, they are all equally as bad. I didn't mention terrorism once; as far as I'm concerned, all of the ills of counterfeit merchandise is propaganda provided by the corporations being ripped off and the fashion industry. The argument of terrorism, doesn't make much sense to me... how are the two inextricably linked? That argument comes up quite a bit in the real v. fake argument and no one has yet to give me an example of direct linkage. Neither did I say or do I think that the workers in said industry "have it well off." It just seems hypocritical to get on some high horse about how and where your exclusive designer handbags are produced when you have no idea how real designer handbags are made, and for that matter, anything else. I'm pretty sure that every company likes to cut corners to save on production costs. Wake up people, nearly everything is made in China and I don't think the luxe designers are discriminiting in which factories and whom works in them and how. (Try reading How Luxury Lost it's Luster).

CHANEL, the only brand that I used to support now makes all of their bags in factories with little to no aid of workers. How is a factory crafted bag worth more than circa $2600+ dollars? Hermes is also pulling a fast one as they raise their own alligators (thus taking away business from the little man also, bad for the economy) and then selling those skins to other luxury brands, which means their alligator bags should be cheaper because all the supplies are in-house. It's all about supply and demand. If the luxe-bag market was smart, they would lower prices and then their demand would go up, because people would be able to reason themselves into buying a bag sub-$1000 (However, this will never happen because they rather keep their air of superiority and opulence.) Until then, people will always buy fakes regardless of what only-authentic buyers think and in spite of their perceived "truths" of the industry. Who, especially in this economy, is going to spend their mortgage payments on a handbag when they could spend a fraction for nearly the same thing? To some, it's practicality. Fakes in quality could be likened to that of Guess, Donna Karen, or Nine West bags which have relative longevity; the "poor craftsmanship" of replicas are a slightly exaggerated myth. I don't even know anyone who keeps the same handbags for a lifetime, but that's just me. I once read an article about how people only label a bag faux or real based on who carries it. Therefore, when you see an old, snotty lady with a Birkin, LV, Chanel w/e you assume it's real without second thought. Fakes are becoming more convincing and ruining it for the exclusivity-ninnies/worshippers out there, sorry .

Just curious, where and when did you see "it" with your own eyes ?

14-12-2009
front row

^ I agree with everything you just said. While I haven't purchased any fake bags I have no issues with doing so.

For me I can find no way to justify $5000 (yes, thats how expensive a 2.55 Chanel is in Australia) on a bag. Maybe that quality is worth $1000 but it's not worth $5000, and the Chanel name means little to me, certainly not $4000 worth.

Once upon a time these bags were handmade from the best quality materials possible, you were paying a premium price for a bag made with made with premium craftsmanship. Like everything else in the world, the high fashion industry is now just interested in making a pretty dollar.

At this point in my life I refuse to to support a company that expects me to pay $4000 for a name, $4000 for someone else to have a million dollar lifestyle, I'm not spending $5000 on a bag to know that I can buy the best. Because I don't care if I can buy the best, I don't care about a name, I just care about the pretty bag. Some people will say fine, just go without. But why should someone have to go without if their is another option?

I think if you buy the $5000 handbag that is own choice, and if you buy the $200 fake that is also your own choice. As long as you are happy with your bag, who really cares? It's wrong to judge someone by the fact that they can afford the $5000 bag, just as it's wrong to judge someone based on the fact that they can't afford the $5000 option or choose not too.

And just a heads up with the terrorism argument thats probably going to take place: Designer brands have encouraged this image that 'Fake handbags fund terrorism'. It's a very positive image for designer brands to put out there and support as people fear terrorism and many would hate to fund it.

Do some research and you will find a very vast amount of money for terrorism comes from drugs. Which is only logical, why would a terrorist group who makes $500 million from one shipment of drugs bother selling fake designer bags? Imagine the sheer amount of bags you would need just to rival the money that terrorist groups make from drugs.

So yes, maybe some fake handbags do support terrorism, but it would be a very small percentage that do. Most fake handbags are just funding people and their families in poverty ridden countries.

15-12-2009
V.I.P.

oh god. not the "counterfeit purses fund terrorism" thing again.

let's be clear:

China produces most the counterfeit purses in the world. correct? most likely.

where do people suspect most terrorist cells to be? Middle East, South America, hell, even parts of Europe.

so, please find a link for those 2 seperate events.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, buy, fakes, love