How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-12-2009
rising star

Back at the beginning of high school I had a fake LV. There's a lot of small Chinese malls in my city, and fakes became a HUGE fad. Everyone carried a fake LV. But it got so obvious-people would ask where you got the fake from (without even asking if it was real first). One girl owned a real one, and nobody believed her. After that I decided I wouldn't buy a fake again. Everyone got really good at sizing you up and determining if (based on your age/outfit/etc) you were carrying a real one.
No, I can't afford the designer bag I'm lusting over right now-instead I bought a really nice leather Treesje bag that is good quality, but no big brand. I only ever carry 1 bag and use it into the ground, so I'll pay for quality.

21-12-2009
trendsetter

When I was younger my mum bought me this Dior bag the one with the weird shape I don't remember the collection's name exactly but it was sorta like the saddle horse?
Anyways I carried it a lot and a year later she told me it was actually a fake- No one knew it was fake , it was made really well and even the inside of the bag was perfectly made. When she told me it was a fake I threw it out, lol. I don't believe in buying fake bags because I can afford the real thing (not really I, my dad can). So if he doesn't have any objections to spending that kind of money on designer products, why should I?
Also I didn't feel the same way carrying a fake Dior bag.
I do not see any problems with people purchasing fake bags, we all lead different lifestyles with different needs and mentalities.
I believe most people buy the fakes 1) save money, even if your a millionaire you still would save a dollar if you could. I think that is the only reason all the other reasons revolve around the money factor too in my opinion.
And yes all of these large luxury companies do produce their products in poorer countries with not so good conditions and paychecks. The companies too want to save money.

23-12-2009
scenester

I owned fake when I was younger but now will only touch real deal. I sold my fakes (chanel, bal and LV) at a market stall (I did let them know they werent authentic) and worked hard and now have my Balenciagas, Louis Vuittons and Chanel that I treasured much more than what I ever felt about a fake bag.

People love fakes for the image it portrays, and not the brand itself. You can't love a brand if you are hurting it!

rising star

i buy both fakes and auths

im a student but have quite a sizeable income but it has its limits, so id rather spend my money on cheaper auths eg LV speedy, mulberry, some smaller chloe bags but i draw the line at blowing 2k on a bag so ill buy fake chanel flaps and gucci bags (which have got more expensive over the years)

i'll buy fakes of bags that are really hard to get hold of as well e.g bottega roma bag. if someone asks me if its real ill be honest about it though because i think most ppl are under the impression that ppl buy fakes to appear rich but then saying that do people buy auths to appear rich? i dont think thats the case..sometimes its nice just to have a nice bag

28-12-2009
oh! darling

Quote:
if someone asks me if its real ill be honest about it though because i think most ppl are under the impression that ppl buy fakes to appear rich but then saying that do people buy auths to appear rich? i dont think thats the case..sometimes its nice just to have a nice bag
True, we buy fakes to seem rich and when a rich person buys a real bag, are they even that rich anymore?

I own a Fendi bag and as my mother was going through my closet, she said, "I could buy one exactly like this in Korea that will probably be of better quality." (One of the straps broke and I'm not sure how, but I can guess considering the leather is so soft that any hard tug could have pulled it right off.) I wouldn't buy a fake because I fear it would come off as being cheap. Then again, being cheap is probably better because I always get shit for buying expensive sunglasses. ("They're just sunglasses, Holly!")

fashion elite

the fake ones here are so easy to spot.

28-12-2009
windowshopping

Real vs Fake
What are your thoughts on real vs fake, which do you buy/prefer? I'm thinking of finding clothing and replicating it. I found a nice Dolce & Gabbana belt today and since my Grandfather owns a steel workshop, I'm thinking of making a fake one. Who's to tell the difference?

Post here if you've ever bought/made any knockoffs!

EDIT: wrong sections, this post was originally a post about fake Gucci handbags >_>

Last edited by Marciano Olsz; 28-12-2009 at 08:22 PM.
28-12-2009
windowshopping

I am vehemently opposed to fakes.

Everyone who cares about fashion or clothes in anyway should read this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-How-Lux.../dp/1594201293

Its about how much companies and designers lose to the fake fashion goods industry, and how workers are treated who make these fake designer goods. It is truly appalling.

If your grandfather owns a steel workshop why not design your own belt? why rip off someone elses idea?

28-12-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopelessly View Post
I am vehemently opposed to fakes.

Everyone who cares about fashion or clothes in anyway should read this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-How-Lux.../dp/1594201293

Its about how much companies and designers lose to the fake fashion goods industry, and how workers are treated who make these fake designer goods. It is truly appalling.

If your grandfather owns a steel workshop why not design your own belt? why rip off someone elses idea?
Hmm true, I guess I COULD do my own label

Never thought of that, I just really really LOVED this belt and it killed me inside to see it was priced at half the price of my car

28-12-2009
windowshopping

Often luxury goods are priced like that for a reason - they are made by skilled artisans with the finest quality materials in the world.

So when you rip off a design you are not only ripping off the designer, but everyone else who has a part in the products creation, and everyone else on the company.

Sorry if I am being forceful about it I just am very very passionate about this topic!! No hard feelings either way

28-12-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopelessly View Post
Often luxury goods are priced like that for a reason - they are made by skilled artisans with the finest quality materials in the world.

So when you rip off a design you are not only ripping off the designer, but everyone else who has a part in the products creation, and everyone else on the company.

Sorry if I am being forceful about it I just am very very passionate about this topic!! No hard feelings either way
Haha true, I understand where you are coming from. Funny story actually. I was in the Holt Renfrew retailer store and I asked for any Tom Ford suits/blazers etc. The rep said that 3 Chinese men came into the store about 10 minutes after it opened and purchased about 800 suits, 300 of which were Tom Ford and left, also purchasing every product by Gucci and all Armani shoes

I was so upset, was looking for a suit for graduation and have been waiting FOREVER for a Tom Ford and these men are going to make knockoffs

Now I have to wait another month.

29-12-2009
windowshopping

I really do urge everyone to read that book I mentioned - Deluxe by Dana Thomas

It is such an important topic that so many people are blind too. When you buy fakes you are supporting something that goes so much further than you think.

29-12-2009
windowshopping

I believe that people who are trully elegant and know the good stuff from the bad are not worried with brandnames.

They buy the products based on the quality, not necessarily the name, and it so happens that a lot of the quality products are exclusive brands.

Also, this whole argument of designer bags costing almost the same as lesser status bags and what you are paying for is the brand is simply not true.

If you investigate about the brand history, and how they produce then and now you will realize that they are almost handmade, like Gucci. When the bags first started it was very much artisan work, and after going through a time where they would use cheap products, they have since returned to making good artisan work.

And c'mon, once you wear it you know the difference. Whenever I've bought designer clothes it always feels and looks better than the clothes you find at department stores, etc.

Also, a lot of people who buy fakes are just simply cheap people. People who want to be flamboyant and appear distinctive but not wanting to pay the price for it.

Of course, it's not the same for everyone, some people buy fakes because they simply can't afford the real thing, I can relate to that and it's sad because I feel good things shouldn't really be a luxury, but we live in a capitalist society and we have to eat.

A .lot of things depend on the way you see it, it's so petty to feel that you are funding someone else's lavish lifestyle by buying their product, as if they needed you in particular to make that happen.

I just bought 100 dollar shoes, granted it's not that expensive but it's a bit pricey for my budget and not once did I think "oh god why should i pay for this and make this designer more of a millionaire". How about actually respecting the hard work that goes into making the shoe and all the stages it goes through till you are able to buy it?? what about the comfort they will bring you?? the attractiveness?? I mean they are beautiful shoes, and they have the brand in the sole!!! I mean you don't even realize they are kenneth cole but I don't care! they were beautiful.

I hope this post doesn't get deleted, I get like an email everyday saying my post is off topic but who talks in topic in real life?? I mean you inevitably ramble to some extent.

29-12-2009
windowshopping

this was very well said imo

29-12-2009
trendsetter

I would never buy a fake... As someone who is looking to start a fashion label, it's just not something I can endorse.

I do believe that many brands overcharge ridiculously for their goods, and it isn't fair, but no matter how nice something is, I cannot and will not pay someone who has done nothing more than copy the hard work someones put into something with, 99% of the time, a far inferior product.

If you can't pay for the original, fine. Find something else you like and support another designers original works, there are plenty out there and when you track them down you'll have something unique that every man and his dog hasn't picked up from the local markets. Just my opinion, but I'll stand by it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, buy, fakes, love