How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-01-2010
front row

I think that Sylvester McMonkey McBean is operating out of China now. lol!

Sometimes I'm not sure what to think about the counterfeiting issue. I've never actually wanted anything so much that I'd get a copy of it (bag, watch etc)

I guess I'm pretty patient and fairly non-competiive... At times, I do wonder if we're all being swindled. fake and real carriers alike.

... I have been shopping for more non-label-y/ non-statement-y things lately.

18-01-2010
scenester

the rise in prices of handbags do not correlate with inflation. what did a chanel bag cost ten years ago? 900! if i could buy a chanel for that much now, i would flip out and buy them all! fyi, the western economy didn't inflate 600% in the last ten years...
i think that the prices are no longer worth what you get, but i strongly believe in artistic rights. i won't buy a fake if it is clearly a fake, and most certainly not a low quality bag. if i can't afford it right now, i just won't buy one.
that doesn't mean, of course, that i'm only going to buy high fashion bags. i'm perfectly happy to carry an ll bean tote to the beach and other lower priced goods if i like the look.
i'm pretty adamant about my own philosophy, but i'm not going to make rude comments if other people are carrying an obvious fake, either. being snide is as unclassy as carrying the fake.

18-01-2010
tfs star

So fun to see this thread active again! I sent Pam (the OP) a PM back when she started the thread and told her my opinion/experience. She is very gracious.

Let me start by stating that I fully see and understand how it's "unfair" to buy replicas...it IS an illegal copy of a luxury item. From that perspective, replicas are wrong. However, replicas still pay homage to authentic and in their way, advertise for the authentics. Think about it...if a chic, well dressed woman is carrying a mono LV bag with a nice patina and 9 out of 10 people who see her think "She's lovely, and I LOVE that bag...." THAT is business for LV. Because MOST people will assume her bag is authentic, whether it is or not. She's elegant and carries herself well, her bag doesn't scream fake, therefore it's authentic and I want that bag too.

The replica industry isn't exactly ripping off companies in the way most people portray it to... Think about when someone invents something....this invention was their baby...they worked on it for years...but as soon as it's released to the masses, someone somewhere will be figuring out how to make one almost exactly like it, only cheaper. Then the original has to defend it's title as best with lines like "don't be fooled by imitators!" Or "the original is still the best!". It seems unfair...but that's business.

There is a hair product line called Wen. It was developed by a celeb stylist blah blah blah. They paid some F list celebs to endorse it, you get extras free for calling in the next 10 minutes, etc. Well, the whole thing is about $80. I was interested in the main product so I did some research and read tons of reviews. Turns out there's a brand at Sally's called Hair One. It's the same thing for only $11.99. It's a fantastic product. I will never buy Wen. Now, am I wrong for wanting the better deal or is the maker of Wen wrong for charging so much?

Maybe neither of us are wrong....and here's the thing that I NEVER hear brought up regarding the luxury industry: You AREN'T paying 3k for the quality of the bag!!!!!! You're paying for the A list celebrity in their ads who has a multi million dollar contract. You're paying for their rent space on Rodeo drive and all the other ritzy locales....you're paying for decor, associate's salaries and to line the pockets of the people who own these companies. Finally, somewhere in those masses of dollars you just plunked down (or, in many cases, in the plastic you handed over and will be paying off for months) you pay for the bag itself. The leather, stitching, hardware...the label. The bag you're getting is NOT worth the price you're paying. It can't be, otherwise there would be no profit for the company.

It's a BUSINESS and it's about a PROFIT. Just like anything else. They aren't handmade. Only Hermes hand makes their bags. Only Hermes is a true luxury brand anymore.

I'm fully supportive of people who only buy authentic and truly believe in supporting the original designer....but don't buy in to the price being justified by the "quality and craftsmanship" because it just isn't true. And don't get on your high horse and lecture the little people about how we're ripping off an artist! A true artist is about their art, not about greed. Any "artist" who designs for LV is at least partially in it to make bank and they will. No one is hurting here. LV's prices continue to go up.

That's my take on replicas. I see both sides and understand both sides. Eventually I'll have an Hermes Birkin.... But knowing as much as I do now about the top grade replicas, there's no way I'd buy authentic canvas LV.....or pay $1500 for a Bal when my reps are genuine italian goatskin leather.

People used to be able to spot a fake "from a mile away" but it's not like that anymore. The pros over on tpf can't tell without looking at date codes. If those are the only way to distinguish the best reps from auth...why would I pay more?

18-01-2010
Amour Comme Hiver

^ I agree with everything you said... so eloquently stated!

For the most part, I don't buy replicas because I feel like a sham when I carry them That said, sometimes it's simply too hard to resist- I once had a quilted pink Chanel knockoff that was so beautiful . And ultimately, I can't afford to buy the real deal. If I could, I most certainly would, but it's just not an option.

25-01-2010
backstage pass

I can see both viewpoints. I do have a couple of fakes, but they were gifts.

30-01-2010
windowshopping

I dont believe in buying fakes.

It makes me die a little inside when people decide to buy fakes.

If you cant afford the real thin then buy vintage. It's even more fabulous to say "oh this is a vintage Lanvin"

31-01-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybluestar View Post
So fun to see this thread active again!.........Maybe neither of us are wrong....and here's the thing that I NEVER hear brought up regarding the luxury industry: You AREN'T paying 3k for the quality of the bag!!!!!! You're paying for the A list celebrity in their ads who has a multi million dollar contract. You're paying for their rent space on Rodeo drive and all the other ritzy locales....you're paying for decor, associate's salaries and to line the pockets of the people who own these companies. Finally, somewhere in those masses of dollars you just plunked down (or, in many cases, in the plastic you handed over and will be paying off for months) you pay for the bag itself. The leather, stitching, hardware...the label. The bag you're getting is NOT worth the price you're paying. It can't be, otherwise there would be no profit for the company........distinguish the best reps from auth...why would I pay more?
Oh baby, I've missed you!
Karma and good vibes up the wahzoo for that post, sister! Thanks for telling it like it is.
Basically.... yeah, what she said!

rising star

Well said babybluestar! I have always been wondering why replicas can use the same leather and hardware but charges only less than 10% of original's price and still make profit? How much markup the original makes between the manufactures and the boutiques? I sure love to stay with the authentic if I could afford them. But those name brand designers really make their mercandise unreasonably expensive. Like babybluestar said - when a bag is not worth what we are paying, why would we pay more? However, on the other hand, trade replicas as authentic cannot be tolerated.

04-02-2010
backstage pass

who would call themselves interested in fashion and buy fakes??? I'm lost?!?!?!

04-02-2010
trendsetter

I will never understand this people, especially those, who tell everyone that it`s real LV\Chanel\Gucci\Prada and buy fakes....it`s rather stupid. I understand that not everyone can afford himself to spend 500-1000€ and more for 1 bag....but there are enough other variants. It`s better to buy real furla bag than fake Prada or Balenciaga, or even it`s better to wear Zara, than fake bag. Because everyone has his own eyes and can detect that it`s not real....

Last edited by Anutka; 04-02-2010 at 11:49 AM.
24-02-2010
is (H)appy

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_St_Girl View Post
who would call themselves interested in fashion and buy fakes??? I'm lost?!?!?!
when the replica is made out of the exact same material as the authentic, what exactly makes it fake? because both are manufactured on an assembly line in a brick-and-mortar factory...why, then, does it matter what country's soil that factory operates upon?

is a bag made out of cotton coated canvas trimmed in cowhide honestly worth two thousand dollars?? Does the cotton cost a thousand to loom? Did the land the cattle grazed upon require special fertilization? What, then, makes a bag worth thousands of dollars if the materials required to produce one account for no more than a mere 10% of the inflated retail price???

Last edited by amethyst_sparkle; 24-02-2010 at 07:28 AM.
24-02-2010
is (H)appy

"fake" used to be an appropriate label for these bags because the material with which which the knock-off was made was indeed fake; fake leather, pleather, pvc, etc. the logo was not even printed in the same font, the stitching was horribly askew, the alignment of locks and color of hardware were dead giveaways...
but times have changed and so have the "fakes". sure, the fugly canal street frankenbags still exist and are sported by the blissfully unaware...but the discerning fashionista knows better and has found better...
the 'fakes' are so good now they're being paraded through Bergdorff's, Saks and Neiman's, fawned over, petted and drooled upon.
they pass undetected inside the very boutiques for which they are replicated, with sales associates bending over backward to charm another $1900 swipe to your visa.
chances are more than likely that you've had lunch with one--dinner too--blithely unaware that your friends, co-workers, esteemed six-figure income executive's wives are bold enough to, yes, gasp, sport fake.
and don't be fooled by the name-brand clothes, the mercedes, or the half-a-million dollar home. 'fakes' are being carried by the very people who can afford the 'real deal', and in large numbers.

at any rate, everyone knows dropping several thou on a purse, pair of shoes or a dress does not make one fashionable.

Last edited by amethyst_sparkle; 24-02-2010 at 07:55 AM.
26-02-2010
front row

babybluestar, I really agree with you! My biggest problem with designer bags is that although they're good quality, you are paying for the brand, not the materials. For example, the PS1 is my favorite "designer" bag, but since I like leather and not more exotic skins (which make me sad), it's basically just a messenger bag with a slightly nicer and more innovative design. But still, it's a messenger bag, not a reinvention of the wheel. And there's no way I'm paying $2000 for that!
I feel like the new answer to the insane prices of these bags is individual artisans. People want quality more than the brand, or at least more than before do - naturally there will always be those crazy brand fanatics, but you know what I mean. With esty and the internet these things are more readily available.
Personally I get my bags custom made in a saddle shop in a little ranch town in central CA where our family friends breed cutting horses. The quality of leather is sublime(because it is made to withstand being beat up), and the most it's ever cost is $200 for a duffel for my cousin. I also just bought a bag from Clare Vivier for $180 after a discount- she handmakes her bags in Los Angeles and the leather is really lovely.

I think the only designer bag I would ever buy from a store, as opposed to from a vintage shop or something, is a Chanel 2.55. Every other bag I've seen is just thousands of dollars more than I think the bag's quality and design is worth! Plus I would just feel guilty spending that much on a bag...

As for fakes, I don't buy them myself and I hate that they're often connected with horrible criminals, but I can sort of understand why many people do buy them.

27-02-2010
scenester

its because we want more than just ONE bag... we want many bags of many brands, and since we can't afford all the real ones, its easy to buy the fakes since us girls get tired of bags so quickly. with fakes you can recycle forever

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybluestar View Post
So fun to see this thread active again! I sent Pam (the OP) a PM back when she started the thread and told her my opinion/experience. She is very gracious.

Let me start by stating that I fully see and understand how it's "unfair" to buy replicas...it IS an illegal copy of a luxury item. From that perspective, replicas are wrong. However, replicas still pay homage to authentic and in their way, advertise for the authentics. Think about it...if a chic, well dressed woman is carrying a mono LV bag with a nice patina and 9 out of 10 people who see her think "She's lovely, and I LOVE that bag...." THAT is business for LV. Because MOST people will assume her bag is authentic, whether it is or not. She's elegant and carries herself well, her bag doesn't scream fake, therefore it's authentic and I want that bag too.

The replica industry isn't exactly ripping off companies in the way most people portray it to... Think about when someone invents something....this invention was their baby...they worked on it for years...but as soon as it's released to the masses, someone somewhere will be figuring out how to make one almost exactly like it, only cheaper. Then the original has to defend it's title as best with lines like "don't be fooled by imitators!" Or "the original is still the best!". It seems unfair...but that's business.

There is a hair product line called Wen. It was developed by a celeb stylist blah blah blah. They paid some F list celebs to endorse it, you get extras free for calling in the next 10 minutes, etc. Well, the whole thing is about $80. I was interested in the main product so I did some research and read tons of reviews. Turns out there's a brand at Sally's called Hair One. It's the same thing for only $11.99. It's a fantastic product. I will never buy Wen. Now, am I wrong for wanting the better deal or is the maker of Wen wrong for charging so much?

Maybe neither of us are wrong....and here's the thing that I NEVER hear brought up regarding the luxury industry: You AREN'T paying 3k for the quality of the bag!!!!!! You're paying for the A list celebrity in their ads who has a multi million dollar contract. You're paying for their rent space on Rodeo drive and all the other ritzy locales....you're paying for decor, associate's salaries and to line the pockets of the people who own these companies. Finally, somewhere in those masses of dollars you just plunked down (or, in many cases, in the plastic you handed over and will be paying off for months) you pay for the bag itself. The leather, stitching, hardware...the label. The bag you're getting is NOT worth the price you're paying. It can't be, otherwise there would be no profit for the company.

It's a BUSINESS and it's about a PROFIT. Just like anything else. They aren't handmade. Only Hermes hand makes their bags. Only Hermes is a true luxury brand anymore.

I'm fully supportive of people who only buy authentic and truly believe in supporting the original designer....but don't buy in to the price being justified by the "quality and craftsmanship" because it just isn't true. And don't get on your high horse and lecture the little people about how we're ripping off an artist! A true artist is about their art, not about greed. Any "artist" who designs for LV is at least partially in it to make bank and they will. No one is hurting here. LV's prices continue to go up.

That's my take on replicas. I see both sides and understand both sides. Eventually I'll have an Hermes Birkin.... But knowing as much as I do now about the top grade replicas, there's no way I'd buy authentic canvas LV.....or pay $1500 for a Bal when my reps are genuine italian goatskin leather.

People used to be able to spot a fake "from a mile away" but it's not like that anymore. The pros over on tpf can't tell without looking at date codes. If those are the only way to distinguish the best reps from auth...why would I pay more?
1: true but the opposite is also the same. i think many designer labels have loss a lot of their high end luxury cred because you have prostitutes, badly dressed women, tacky men, etc riddled with the fake stuff turning a luxury monogram into something utterly repulsive.

2: this is very very true, but one of the main differences between fakes and the real deal are the work ethics and law in effect with those people sewing the bags for the companies. at least with the real companies, for the most part, they hire people with skills and pay them fair wages plus benefits to do what they do. whereas the people who are making the fakes are being payed next to no pay, working under-aged with long hours against labor codes and ethics, under bad conditions. that is a very important difference that i feel was not discussed...

3. many bag companies do a large majority of the construction and sewing by hand still. MJ, chloe amongst others are still assembled by hand, with other details done on a machine, but that machine is still being operated BY HAND by someone....perhaps hermes is the only one who has people so everything stitch by stitch but to disregard the rest as factory/assembly line work is a bit much IMHO.

good post though. karma. you brought up some excellent points

www.thegirllovesmj.blogspot.com
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, buy, fakes, love