How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-02-2010
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
Oh baby, I've missed you!
Karma and good vibes up the wahzoo for that post, sister! Thanks for telling it like it is.
Basically.... yeah, what she said!
Also another reason for the significant price mark up is to retain the "exclusive" reputation that these luxury brands depend on.

Prior to 2008 when the economy was doing well, the mass market were beginning to purchase luxury items such as CK, BMWs and Mercedes. The brands were losing their "prestige", as the mass market were buying more and more, hence some brands were dubbed "masstige". Many companies increased their prices to eliminate accessibility to the mass market and to compensate for potential losses. When you purchase a $3000 bag your paying for the brand, not the materials/labour.

18-06-2010
Amour Comme Hiver

Quote:
Most expensive fake purse ever purchased by tourist

June 14th, 2010 by Doug Lansky Goto comments Leave a comment

The province of Venice, Italy is trying to send a message to tourists: “don’t even think about buying knock-off products here.” Jursula Corel, a 65-year-old Austrian tourist found out the hard way when was fined $1,195 for buying a fake Louis Vuitton purse from a street seller.
“We have a duty to combat this phenomenon, which is becoming unmanageable,” said Francesca Calzavara, head of the province of Venice. That’s one way to crack down on the problem. No word on what happened to the person who was actually selling the fake purses.

Source: Venice newspaper Corriere del Veneto

titanicawards.com

This is sure to be an unpopular opinion, but I don't really think this is fair. For starters, it's clear they're making an example of this man- if you're going to charge this fine to one man, you might as well go around the world stalking every girl wearing jeans and a Hollister tee shirt carrying a big Chanel or Louis Vuitton bag. Going along with that, it'll be damn near impossible to ever stop the production and consumption of replica designer bags because, at the end of the day, but they aren't willing to take out another mortgage to buy a bag. Even those who are in the fashion industry can have difficulty detecting the bags; I remember reading an article in Harper's Bazaar about a woman who got a Louis Vuitton bag as a gift from her boyfriend, only to attend a social function and have a Vuitton employee inform her that she was carrying a fake.

The function of an actual replica/knockoff doesn't really bother me- it's the politics behind it (child labor, sweatshops, etc) that is problematic.

25-05-2011
windowshopping

Annoyed to see fakes?
Annoyed to see fakes?
Hi,
A friend of my friend came over from Paris. We met for dinner and night out. She complimented my bag (with her French accent) then she asked was it real! She asked me politely so I shouldn't be angry at her. I don't want to blam her because there are fakes everywhere. I laugh on the inside when very urgly fakes. I always tell my friends to buy cheaper brands but real rather than getting fakes.

I want to know how do feel when you see fake bags or hear bad news about the brand? Do you defend for it?

25-05-2011
front row

'Cause I'm poor, LOL.

26-05-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKharma View Post

titanicawards.com

The function of an actual replica/knockoff doesn't really bother me- it's the politics behind it (child labor, sweatshops, etc) that is problematic.
You do realize many genuine luxury or "brand" named items are produced in sweat shops, etc. Especially clothing and shoes.

26-05-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ View Post
Annoyed to see fakes?
Hi,
A friend of my friend came over from Paris. We met for dinner and night out. She complimented my bag (with her French accent) then she asked was it real! She asked me politely so I shouldn't be angry at her. I don't want to blam her because there are fakes everywhere. I laugh on the inside when very urgly fakes. I always tell my friends to buy cheaper brands but real rather than getting fakes.

I want to know how do feel when you see fake bags or hear bad news about the brand? Do you defend for it?
Personally if I see someone wear a fake I tend to be a bit condescending. I hate it when I see someone lets say using and "Louis Vuittion" bag and dragging it along the ground (treating it really badly) or the leather just doesn't hold up, or just wearing an odd mix for an outfit eg. dressed like your moving house ready to lift and shift all that furniture and then randomly having a band name bag. I don't understand why they bother using it if everyone can tell its a fake in one split second.

If its a good fake I still get a bit annoyed. It can take everything out of what was meant to be a compliment. I was once wearing a real Armani leather jacket (I know this about handbags but the principle is there) and someone said "that's a nice pleather jacket." I was ready to slap them in the face I wouldn't hurt a fly, but being young there is just an assumption that if you have something nice or with a logo 'it must be a fake' or something along those lines. This in turn can make people who can actually afford the real thing to not buy it and simply takes away the 'status' that may be looking for.

In my opinion if its an obvious fake why bother, if its a good fake then its going to be you and those who make the enquiries that know its a fake. If you can live that, fine have the fake. Just know that if we cross paths this will be something that makes me peeved.

10-06-2011
front row

Many people buy fakes because they are cheaper, it also depends on where you live. If you live in a small town or city the average person that walks by you doesn't know the difference, but I imagine if you go to a place like Beverly Hills a lot of people are very fashion oriented and would likely know the difference between a real and a fake.

12-06-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
You do realize many genuine luxury or "brand" named items are produced in sweat shops, etc. Especially clothing and shoes.
This is so true, people forget that when they walk into Target or Old Navy or Nike and see labels of items made in Vietnam, El Salvador, Hong Kong - how do you know how the labor laws are monitored or are they being hidden? But hey, we love a bargain everywhere else, don't we?

When you buy food & produce you are more than likely buying cheap labor - both in the U.S. and overseas. If you haven't heard what the company DOLE/Chiquita is doing to its workers in Nicaragua, you are missing the big picture. One documentary: http://www.bananasthemovie.com

Do any of you own any Apple products? They are not above having miserable work conditions for their workers in China either, for example, making them work 90 hours of overtime without being paid for it and forcing them to sign anti-suicide clauses: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ted-inhumanely

These are just some examples. Everything from ballpoint pens to flatscreen tv's to cleaning products are made overseas in factories that may have conditions we may object to, this is not including animal factories that provide leather.

I remember reading on the TPF forum a while back that the Chinese factory that produces Alexander Wang's 'real' bags is the same one that produces the fakes, to their horror. For them it's just a different design but another day at work. If one really cared about such exploitation of their workers, then you would look at the label of the product and if it's made in some third or second world country you should not buy it, regardless of the store shelf it's sitting on.

12-06-2011
is (H)appy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodeuwedd View Post
This is so true, people forget that when they walk into Target or Old Navy or Nike and see labels of items made in Vietnam, El Salvador, Hong Kong - how do you know how the labor laws are monitored or are they being hidden? But hey, we love a bargain everywhere else, don't we?

When you buy food & produce you are more than likely buying cheap labor - both in the U.S. and overseas. If you haven't heard what the company DOLE/Chiquita is doing to its workers in Nicaragua, you are missing the big picture. One documentary: http://www.bananasthemovie.com

Do any of you own any Apple products? They are not above having miserable work conditions for their workers in China either, for example, making them work 90 hours of overtime without being paid for it and forcing them to sign anti-suicide clauses: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ted-inhumanely

These are just some examples. Everything from ballpoint pens to flatscreen tv's to cleaning products are made overseas in factories that may have conditions we may object to, this is not including animal factories that provide leather.

I remember reading on the TPF forum a while back that the Chinese factory that produces Alexander Wang's 'real' bags is the same one that produces the fakes, to their horror. For them it's just a different design but another day at work. If one really cared about such exploitation of their workers, then you would look at the label of the product and if it's made in some third or second world country you should not buy it, regardless of the store shelf it's sitting on.

AMEN. What a brilliant, well-written post. Finally, someone tells it like it is. I would be mortified to be so classless as to threaten a total stranger with bodily harm for insinuating their purse, jacket or whatever was "fake". Were you raised by wolves? Newsflash: being gullible (i.e. stupid) enough to buy into the hype, propaganda and marketing of "luxury brands" by forking over thousands of dollars for COWhide leather trimmed canvas bags does not make you a classy, educated, sophisticated contributing member of society. It just means you funded a 9 to 5 employee's salary.

windowshopping

I haven't bought a fake because I'm afraid of getting ripped off and being thought of as a status seeking social climber, but I totally understand the appeal. If I bought two nice real bags a year I could afford to live in the lower east side and ride the subway, or I could buy 5 good fakes a year I could still afford to move to the west village and drive a BMW. I've learned to compromise on all fronts by living in a good neighborhood, taking taxis, and buying one or two real bags in a basic design from flash sales and whatnot.

windowshopping

So true. I read about prada using sweatshops last year. Has anyone actually believed the fashion industry was nice? From my experience it's full of the most superficial, narcissistic, inhumane people I've ever had to spend time with. The idea that anyone actually cares about sweatshop laborers is laughable to me. It's just a way to manipulate people into buying the real deal. Also, designers even here in new York use victims of human trafficking as labor. There were hundreds of them caught a few months ago in queens and southern connecticut being imported as seamstresses and for the sex trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodeuwedd View Post

front row

I will never buy a fake. It's so sad that so much people buy the cheap bags. When you love the brand, so buy an authentic. I think it's better, but for the people who havn't enough money it's not very easy, I can imagine, but the quality is higher and you are much happier with an authentic. It's my point of view.
When we love the brand-so buy and help so to stop the fake production-

windowshopping

I live in Thailand otherwise known as the land of copy. Here the problem is to be able to actually find and buy a authentic bag or anything for that matter they even found a factory that was making fake classic Ferrari sports cars for export. And like some people say the quality of some of the copies is better than the real thing. They sell fakes in authentic brand shops here as well which makes it even more difficult to get the real thing.

Nevertheless in my opinion its wrong to buy a fake if you want it bad enough save up to buy a bag even if it means saving for months or get creative and make your own, anyhow that is what i decided to do.

19-06-2011
backstage pass

Did the OP ever do her thesis?

28-06-2011
windowshopping

I think that all the articles by Bazaar are pretty interesting, you can read them here : http://www.fakesareneverinfashion.com/luxury_report.asp

I am strongly against fakes. In fact, I have thrown and hidden all of my Mom's fake (and she -IMO- finally came to her senses) and I really tend to look down on people who wear fake.

I really don't get the line that says "it's because I can't afford the real deal". Honestly I'm just a student who earns just enough money to go out and buy clothes at H&M or sometimes at Vanessa Bruno when they're on sales, but I've never thought about buying fakes. Because I wouldn't be buying the same thing at all. It's like saying I'm buying Walmart water instead of Evian. Okay, it's just water but it doesn't taste the same, it wasn't made the same way, etc...
To me, if you don't have money, it is alright, no one will look down on you for buying a bag at some chinese store or at Zara (except if they're stupid). Whereas buying fakes means that you're trying to front, pretending you're wearing something worth 1000$, something whose design was stolen from another company and you're basically saying that you can't be fashionable without the brands. It means you're buying a name and not a design, and that's totally absurd. You buy clothes because you like fashion.

Let's take the Speedy for example, there're tons and towns of cute looking bowling bags that have the same shape but not the same logo and thy're just as nice, if not better looking. Buying a fake speedy means you want to flaunt a monogram and a brand just because it says "luxury", however it is everything but luxurious. It's cheap and tacky, it means that you want to be like everyone else. Buying that sort of bag is an investment (LV stuffs are life guaranteed, and they don't go out of factories if they're not absolutely perfect), but if you don't have enough money you can invest in a nice leather bag that you can find for 150$ and that will last for years, and you wouldn't have to say to everyone "it's a fake" "i'm a poser".

And I'd rather buy something made from H&M, I know they might exploit people in China, but at least, since it's a big company, it is under control, they have the lowest salaries but they don't have to put with illegal stuffs or money that will help prostitution or drugs.

Honestly i'd rather wait till I can afford such items and buy Authentic bags, because I'm sure they'd be done in real factories, with people with a decent salary (well, as far as I know, I've worked in a warehouse for a luxury brand, and people there work really hard but they're not exploited, they're carefully chosen, have a good work environment and it's the exact same for people who craft the bags, even if it is not as artisanal as Hermes)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, buy, fakes, love