How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-10-2008
windowshopping

Why do we love the brands but buy the fakes?
Hello All,

I am final year fashion student working on her dissertation right now.

We all love brands, we all wish to have everything from them, but sometimes it just little bit too much for pay.

I wish to know how many of you out there will be brave enough to say, you bought a fake LV/Chanel/Gucci etc...

And what do you think its the main reason why people buy them, even when they can afford them anyway.

If there is any related articles that you know about or came across, it will be really helpful if you let me know.

I would really really really appreciate your help on this!
Looking forward to hear all of you!

Best Regards,
Pam

P.S. Dear Admin, if I have posted this tread into the wrong section, please accept my apology and remove to the correct one.

xxxx

14-10-2008
front row

When I was younger, I bought quite a few fake LVs. Not only did I not have the money to buy the real thing but even if I did, at that age, I would never have spent the money on a real one. But it did get me interested in the real thing and now, I will not buy another fake one. The reason being....all the fakes I have seen have never been as good quality as the real thing and I don't like knowing the one I have is sub-par. And the really good fakes...well, they cost almost as much as the real thing so I would rather get the real one and not feel almost like I'm lying to everyone.

I know a lot of people are vehemently against fakes but for me....it's just a personal choice. I would not buy one but if someone else chooses to, they have their reasons.

scenester

I never did, even it's easy to fine grade A Fake super brands in my country, you can't suggest it's fake,It's very popular more than 2 years ago to carry Fake, now it's only the up country girl who carry it without knowing it's fake, they like the design but don't know anything about super brands.
But I knew one social girl who rich & famous, but she prefer FAKE, she give me the reason, why I pay more, I have my social status, I carry FAKE and people think it's REAL.
But she has her bad Karma, no brand managers invite her for the their party, cause she dare to carry FAKE Dior to Dior's party 2 years ago, and some crew asked her to leave the Party with the reason, Dior never ever made this bag in Gold leather.
So stick with the REAL.

15-10-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.leean View Post
I never did, even it's easy to fine grade A Fake super brands in my country, you can't suggest it's fake,It's very popular more than 2 years ago to carry Fake, now it's only the up country girl who carry it without knowing it's fake, they like the design but don't know anything about super brands.
But I knew one social girl who rich & famous, but she prefer FAKE, she give me the reason, why I pay more, I have my social status, I carry FAKE and people think it's REAL.
But she has her bad Karma, no brand managers invite her for the their party, cause she dare to carry FAKE Dior to Dior's party 2 years ago, and some crew asked her to leave the Party with the reason, Dior never ever made this bag in Gold leather.
So stick with the REAL.
Wow thats just bad Karma!

Thank you anyway!!

xxx

16-10-2008
tfs star

i buy authentic because i appreciate the design team's efforts
but sometimes when i "feel" the bag and the material or design doesn't worth the price, i bought the fakes

19-10-2008
front row

i only own two fakes, but i bought them because they were very good quality, the leather is almost better than the authentic, and bc i cannot afford a $2000 bag when i have tuition fees and loans to pay for college. hopefully after i graduate, i'll make enough money to buy my first chanel <3

19-10-2008
backstage pass

Its the money hon, some of us cant afford the real. BUT, if I really like a bag I will WORK for it, I'm guilty of blowing a whole paycheck or two on the real thing. *blushes*

19-10-2008
fashion insider

I used to only buy the real Louis Vuitton bags and I thought I would throw myself off a cliff before I bought a fake...

.... but now I have a huge mortgage and my husband's college debt to pay off so I've given in and bought a fake LV

Even if I made enough money extra to afford a real one my husband would point out to me that we need to sped the money on fixing up the yard, getting a new dishwasher, getting a new bed, ect. Unfortunately there's always something more important to spend the money on

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellesea View Post
When I was younger, I bought quite a few fake LVs. Not only did I not have the money to buy the real thing but even if I did, at that age, I would never have spent the money on a real one. But it did get me interested in the real thing and now, I will not buy another fake one. The reason being....all the fakes I have seen have never been as good quality as the real thing and I don't like knowing the one I have is sub-par. And the really good fakes...well, they cost almost as much as the real thing so I would rather get the real one and not feel almost like I'm lying to everyone.

I know a lot of people are vehemently against fakes but for me....it's just a personal choice. I would not buy one but if someone else chooses to, they have their reasons.
I have found that students, or teenagers they would work very hard during the summer or when they have their vacations just to treat themselves to a real branded bag at the end of the day, however I have seen some pretty rich and well off people buying the fakes in Thailand.

Do you think its the same over your side?

xxx

23-10-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by VainJane View Post
I used to only buy the real Louis Vuitton bags and I thought I would throw myself off a cliff before I bought a fake...

.... but now I have a huge mortgage and my husband's college debt to pay off so I've given in and bought a fake LV

Even if I made enough money extra to afford a real one my husband would point out to me that we need to sped the money on fixing up the yard, getting a new dishwasher, getting a new bed, ect. Unfortunately there's always something more important to spend the money on
I know, especially with the economic so bad right now!

Are the fakes so easy to get these days?

23-10-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslin View Post
Its the money hon, some of us cant afford the real. BUT, if I really like a bag I will WORK for it, I'm guilty of blowing a whole paycheck or two on the real thing. *blushes*

I know they are cheaper, but how much cheaper?
Does any of your friends do it too?

23-10-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorseinstripe View Post
i buy authentic because i appreciate the design team's efforts
but sometimes when i "feel" the bag and the material or design doesn't worth the price, i bought the fakes
Ya I do agree with that, there have been some pretty funny designs over the years, making us wonder whats the point.

23-10-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalgyal View Post
i only own two fakes, but i bought them because they were very good quality, the leather is almost better than the authentic, and bc i cannot afford a $2000 bag when i have tuition fees and loans to pay for college. hopefully after i graduate, i'll make enough money to buy my first chanel <3

Do you think that there will be any other possible reasons besides the price?

23-10-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_synp View Post
Do you think that there will be any other possible reasons besides the price?

ha ha ha simple and straight to the point

23-10-2008
windowshopping

There are nice fakes out there, I've bought a few Louis Vuitton bags. But, it wasn't a money issue. I have disposable income, I'd rather not spend a large portion of it on accessories. Less money on the real thing, where accessories are concerned, means more money elsewhere. That's what it boils down to for me. I don't get a thrill knowing I paid 5x more for "quality." If it looks good and looks like it won't fall apart in 13 days then I'll buy it. Of course, I also have loaded friends who occasionally give me their rejects....... you know the ones who get bored easily.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, buy, fakes, love