How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-06-2010
rising star

^ So True!!!! but I must say I only get the yummie feeling if I buy the real deal

Last edited by Tigerlily; 06-06-2010 at 03:30 PM.

09-06-2010
front row

^ i totally agree!!

in my collection of over approx 15 auth bal bags and accessories, i can say that none of my t&d purchases can compare in quality to the real deal. IMO the auth just has a luxurious feel, look and smell to it that the reps lack. i'm not saying you are getting your money's worth in what you pay for in auths, but it does cost more for a reason

i have finally have come to the realization - who am i kidding with my reps?? i don't ever carry them when i'm out with my friends, who would be able to tell right off the bat as they are in the fashion industry and/or own many auth bags themselves. and with the amount of reps i have purchased in the last few months, i could've purchased 3-4 premier auth bags

09-06-2010
fashion elite

Why did I buy replicas....Good question
I wanted to post about my year of buying replica bags. In the last year I had bought 30 replica bags....I now wish I had saved all the money( approx $200 a bag...you do the math) I spent on imitations and bought $6000 of the real deal.
I was momentarily happy when I received a replica bag, If I'm honest with myself it was more about the purchase than the actual bag I was receiving...I felt like a hamster on a wheel..chasing the perfect rep...that I knew in my heart did not exist...All the bags started to morph together.
I have never felt 100% confident or genuinely proud of any rep that I have carried, and this feeling started to get to me about 3 months ago.
I couldn't live with the incorrect details and compromises of replica bags anymore, it was me that couldn't except them anymore, no one else.
I had to plan my day accordingly as if I wanted to go shopping at a retail store that sold authentic bags I didn't want to look like the hot mess that was carrying a frankenbag.
Can I get Amen in here!
I woke up one morning and was really turned off with my collection of 30+ bags that were all fake and felt sick that I had not spent the money on authentic bags even if they were less desirable/top premium brands. I didn't have and still don't have any opinions on how the reps were made or in what conditions or any of that, it was just based on how I felt.
About a year ago I posted replica bags on a site that was known for authentic's, and for some amount of the time I got away with it, and it was like a game, and it it was daring and I have to admit it was a lot of fun...But when I was "exposed" obviously embarrassed, and then found a thread for replicas where I was welcome, but I still find myself living a lie, just a different lie, and I realize now that it's the lack of respect that I have for the bags that turned me off the bag eventually.
I am now proud to say that I have an authentic collection of 20 bags...and even tho each bag is approx in the $500-$700 range, I feel so much better about carrying it than a $200 bag trying to pose as a $1200, I have more confidence in it and in me and I have found a niche that I can honestly say I belong in. I can go anywhere and never worry that my bag is going to break, or someone is going to know it's a fake, and if it does break I can take it to the AUTHENTIC store and get it repaired, all bags break...even authentic $1000+ bags, but the difference now is I can take it back and have it repaired with pride. And not feel embarrassed that I was going down a road and having the details of my bag changed by potions and paints and smaller rings purchased on line at a metalmonger to match an authentic bag. For me it was a road I wanted..needed to get off.

The moral to this story is be true to yourself, if you have no qualms about carrying a replica bag, or wearing replica shoes and so on..good for you. I had a year of it and I am happy to say I am done with it.
And one more point that i forgot to add is I live in a city and work in an industry where there are a lot of authentic bags and i'm friends with a lot of these people, i was sick of living a lie with them as well..I feel quite releived...big sigh.....

Last edited by bagalicious; 09-06-2010 at 08:05 AM.
11-06-2010
front row

^^^ And that makes all the difference! :-)

Those of us who don't travel in that world really don't have that issue of the constant OMG what if they KNOW. I understand why you traded it in, Baga. I probably would too. But since I'm just a spreadsheet guru in corporate hell that moonlights as writer, meh... most folks don't know and don't care. While I travel in some seriously bourgie circles at times, most folk don't know enough to call me out and those that do really DON'T know the diff. They ooooh and ahhh and know that I've purchased enough auth to be able to afford to mix in some rep with no raised eyebrows.

There is definitely something to be said about jumping into Neimans or Bloomies and plopping down over a grand for a bag just because you can. To me, that's the yummy feeling. It's not the bag when I stroke my 05 and stroke my 06 and stroke my T&D and feel no diff. For me, it was the thrill of spending the dough. Of knowing that I COULD buy auth if I FELT LIKE IT.

... but I don't. ;-) As long as all my bag divas are happy, the choices are irrelevant. If you're going to rock auth, do it with pride. If you're going to rock rep, make it GOOOOOOD rep, and do it with confidence.

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by razz View Post
Shelleybean your posts crack me up I'm still laughing at the me me me me me one from earlier!

You make a great point. These NBFs are reps that are a fraction of the price of the authentic and T&D does a damn fine job. Of course it's great when we get a rep with incredible leather, but I'm trying to be much, much less picky. One thing I always keep in mind, which has been mentioned here before of course, is the variance in the auth Bal leathers too. I see complaints on the other forum of dry bags, leather too thin, don't like the texture/look, etc.

Speaking of incredible T&D leather...congrats on your Sang RH Day. What an amazing bag that will be! All that delicious, slouchy Sang leather is going to be unreal in the Day style.
And the crowd applauds Shellybean.

backstage pass

So.... Question: (*and this isn't directed at anyone in particular but it has come up a few times in the last couple of days)
If you see lots of people carrying an auth "X" bag around your city, but you don't know/can't tell from 20 feet away if it's fake or not and you don't want to carry your "X" because you worry that people might think it's fake......... If you can't tell, what makes you think they can? Why be worried? The so-called authenticators CAN NOT TELL. People don't actually walk up to you on the street and ask if they can compare your bags side-by-side, do they? How rude! You need to come visit me. You can wear even the most hideous fake and no one will notice because reusable grocery bags/totes are the most popular handbag choice. It's interesting, the wealthiest people I know would think you are a complete idiot for spending $300 on a purse. It's perfectly normal to have a 1.7million dollar home or drop $45K on a Subaru, but $800 on a purse? What a waste of money!
And yes, I understand that places like NYC are so much more into fashion, but has anyone ever browsed through sites like iOffer and took stock of where the bidders are from? I mean surely WE here on this thread aren't the only people using that site, are we? Even on T&D's site..... sure I recognize some of the buyers form here, but what about the rest?

Last edited by kimair; 12-06-2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: deleted comments from ioffer thread
12-06-2010
fashion elite

excellent point Ms bean/\
And I know that everyone has there own threshold of what and where they can wear and use there rep bags, everyone is different and has different views and works in different places and in different industries and in different enviroments.
For me personally..wanting to carry a replica Jacky Alexa bag when working with Alexa Chung last year and all her Mulberrys would have been a bit ridiculous for instance.
Or having my NBF in a 20ftx20ft makeup/wardrobe room with 2 other Balenciaga's and worrying that the authentic owners will say to me "why is your.......different" Is a "praline Lady" deja vu expereince waiting to happen IRL
Do I worry about someone thinking my NBF is not real from across the street "NO WAY"

If i worked in a city that was not NYC and worked in an industry that was not label savvy or fashion conscious i would be a lot more relaxed and would be able to carry a good rep with a lot more confidence...This is not a disrespect of any other state or any other career or industry)
Just a personal explanation.
I guess men and women all over the world are customers of Ioffer. Out of all my friends I have 2 other ladies who buy from NBF and rotate there bags in with authentics.

Last edited by bagalicious; 12-06-2010 at 12:02 PM.
12-06-2010
scenester

Well I personally beleive that most of the high end designers (esp LV) have the items produced in one Chinese factory and then assembled in another one, hence the very, very good replicas. It only make sense since the labour is cheap and western corps have a bad reputation for putting Chinese factories against one another. I.e. they give one factory a contract for a year to make their items and then threaten not to renew the contract in the following year becuase they have gotten another factory in China to produce them cheaper. I for one no longer beleive the "made in italy" and "made in france" stamped on everything. Just the sign of the times.

Back on topic I just discovered the ioffer pictures thread - marvellous!

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagalicious View Post
And I know that everyone has there own threshold of what and where they can wear and use there rep bags, everyone is different and has different views and works in different places and in different industries and in different enviroments.
For me personally..wanting to carry a replica Jacky Alexa bag when working with Alexa Chung last year and all her Mulberrys would have been a bit ridiculous for instance.
Or having my NBF in a 20ftx20ft makeup/wardrobe room with 2 other Balenciaga's and worrying that the authentic owners will say to me "why is your.......different" Is a "praline Lady" deja vu expereince waiting to happen IRL
Do I worry about someone thinking my NBF is not real from across the street "NO WAY"

If i worked in a city that was not NYC and worked in an industry that was not label savvy or fashion conscious i would be a lot more relaxed and would be able to carry a good rep with a lot more confidence...This is not a disrespect of any other state or any other career or industry)
I guess men and women all over the world are customers of Ioffer. Out of all my friends I have 2 other ladies who buy from NBF and rotate there bags in with authentics.

bagalicious: I totally get where you are coming from. If I worked in a similar industry I might feel the same way. I see many Balenciaga's on the streets of New York. Some are obvious fakes but most look like the real deal. I work in Finance. I have only seen two people with a Bal bag in my office. One was an obvious fake due to the leather and hardware used on the bag. The other was an Authentic Outremer Giant City with GSH carried by an Asian woman. I believe that I was the only person in my building who noticed what she was carrying. Most people in my office don't really notice what handbag you are carrying. For this reason I do feel confident carrying my reps from NBF.

12-06-2010
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagalicious View Post

Last wed I was invited to a private party & wore my NBF Officier Twiggy. There were about 42 people there, including Alexa Chung herself. I felt totally comfortable w/ my nbf Twiggy. There were several auth Chanel m/l 2.55 flaps, no other Bals. I received several compliments on my bag.

And you know what? I can't remember if Alexa Chung was even carrying a bag at all!

12-06-2010
front row

It just varies sooo much! The experiences with NBFs and reps are interesting to hear! I appreciate everyone sharing their views and ideology about repping. It gives one much to contemplate.

There was a bartender (asian chica) at Champps the other day with what looked like a Violet GSH City... it was TDF. Loved it. And while she sat it RIGHT ON THE BAR IN FRONT OF ME, I couldn't tell you if it was real or not. It looked real. It slouched the way Bal is supposed to slouch. But other than that - My Go-Go-Gadget senses tapped out.

I definitely think sometimes we're more worried because WE KNOW WHERE THEY CAME FROM. But we shouldn't be. The ladies here - you guys have a plethora of rep knowledge and I feel confident that if YOU didn't feel confident with a bag, to the back of the closet it would go.

... now, what's the word on Rose Gold Giant Hardware? Cause Bois de Rose would be STUNNING with RGGH! Not that I'm thinking of purchasing or anything

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
So.... Question: (*and this isn't directed at anyone in particular but it has come up a few times in the last couple of days)
If you see lots of people carrying an auth "X" bag around your city, but you don't know/can't tell from 20 feet away if it's fake or not and you don't want to carry your "X" because you worry that people might think it's fake......... If you can't tell, what makes you think they can? Why be worried?
I've been thinking (way too much) about the whole rep/auth thing lately and became rather ashamed and disgusted with myself for caring so much that a stranger *might* suspect my NBFs aren't authentic. If I decide to buy more auths I want it to be because I want shinier hardware, or an amazing color, the delicious leather smell...not because some random might spot an inaccuracy on my hardware.

However I feel the scenario is entirely different for someone working or involved in certain industries or circles of life where the risk of being "caught" with a fake bag could have a negative or awkward impact on your reputation. Before Baga even posted some of her possible scenarios I was already going to use her as an example.

It's amazing how if one little piece of you is deemed inauthentic, people will start picking apart everything. This applies far beyond bags and fashion of course.

I realize your question wasn't really directed at people in close quarters but more at people passing by on the street, etc. and in that case I agree with you 100%. Like I said in a previous post, reading elsewhere makes you believe that there are brand authenticators lurking at every intersection who know every detail of every bag when the reality is...bags are just one of the many things people focus on. For every passer by who notices your bag, there is also one checking out your shoes, hair, earrings, outfit, complexion, body type, or nothing at all. Someone who is constantly on skincare boards, or plastic surgery forums, is gonna be looking for boob job or botox tells and discussing this like we do bales and front panels

12-06-2010
fashion insider

it's about personal feeling, not about our reps. you know it's not real, so even if it's the best, it's still not real enough. that's all.
it took me YEARS and lots of learning about these details, it's not EASY. i carry all my rep with confidence

12-06-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Warner View Post
And you know what? I can't remember if Alexa Chung was even carrying a bag at all!
exactly! to all of you who are so self-conscious over a bag...has it ever dawned that perhaps people aren't paying THAT much attention to you?

i attend NY and london fashion weeks every season, and sometimes paris (never milan ). i have carried NBFs to everything from presentations to shows to breakfast conferences to parties and have survived without anyone pointing out imperfections or issues with my bags. if this is what you're searching for regularly, please get a life, especially if you are on the job. i am busy working, networking and saying hi to people i only get to see when i am visiting london and paris, so the last thing i'm doing is checking out the chanel next to me.

in baga's case, while i understand she's uncomfortable with it, i have to say, she's a celebrity makeup artist. she's fashion-forward and adorable with an outgoing personality. i would be so taken with these things that i'd hardly assume her bag was fake. based on her job, i would think it's auth and not think about it again. it's not like she's walking around with a hideous MC LV or something.

also, i think this rep buying hobby is a numbers game. outside of t&d, the more you buy, the more likely you are to get a dud. if you discover rep bags and decide to do monthly orders from jacky with dozens of items, yes, you are going to run into issues. like with all things, you will get tired of the hobby because there's no end in sight, you're just buying to acquire more. i think this is something we deal with in the rep thread because everyone jumps on the bandwagon of one bag even if they may not initially like it that much. i do this too, but i don't buy the bag. if i did, i'd be swimming in them and would have tired of this game by now.

front row

^^^ So on point! I agree with this completely. I do think it's a numbers game and it's what you're willing to spend, risk and put up with. I have a fab raisin work...mirror has airbubbles. *shrug* tuck that bad boy in the pocket, zip it and keep it moving. The bag itself is immaculate.

And I agree. I only can tell a bad fake if it's a BAD fake. Case in point with the chick the other day. Good mercy! I wanted to take a pic of how bad that thing was. The color was beautiful... but it was a FrankenBal. SUUUUUPER long handles, EXTRA WIDE tassels... it was a mess. But she loved it. And therefore, whether or not I knew it was a horrid FrankenBal wasn't relevant in the least.

I don't judge folk by their bags. I love denim. Regular old Gap denim. No True Religion or PaperDenimCloth... just regular old denim. Some of my denim came straight from TJ Maxx. I love tanks and tees and H&M and Old Navy and I heart flip-flops, Target, and sneakers.... and I will STILL carry my bag like I snatched it straight out of Neiman Marcus. Most folks don't have the AUDACITY to truly walk up on you and ask if your bag is fake. And if they do, give them looks of disgust and keep it moving. Cause that's rude on levels that I can't even conceive. Someone said earlier they know people with piles of money that won't spend $300 let alone $2K on a bag - and so do I. They think it's downright criminal. Waste of money. (They don't understand... but to each their own! )

Again, rep, auth whatever. Carry what brings you joy. Life is too short to be obsessing over your bag OR to be carrying one that put you in the poorhouse. And life is too short to carry a bad bag PERIOD.

Love to all!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
authentics, replicas