How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-06-2010
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesiren View Post
exactly! to all of you who are so self-conscious over a bag...has it ever dawned that perhaps people aren't paying THAT much attention to you?

i attend NY and london fashion weeks every season, and sometimes paris (never milan ). i have carried NBFs to everything from presentations to shows to breakfast conferences to parties and have survived without anyone pointing out imperfections or issues with my bags. if this is what you're searching for regularly, please get a life, especially if you are on the job. i am busy working, networking and saying hi to people i only get to see when i am visiting london and paris, so the last thing i'm doing is checking out the chanel next to me.

in baga's case, while i understand she's uncomfortable with it, i have to say, she's a celebrity makeup artist. she's fashion-forward and adorable with an outgoing personality. i would be so taken with these things that i'd hardly assume her bag was fake. based on her job, i would think it's auth and not think about it again. it's not like she's walking around with a hideous MC LV or something.

also, i think this rep buying hobby is a numbers game. outside of t&d, the more you buy, the more likely you are to get a dud. if you discover rep bags and decide to do monthly orders from jacky with dozens of items, yes, you are going to run into issues. like with all things, you will get tired of the hobby because there's no end in sight, you're just buying to acquire more. i think this is something we deal with in the rep thread because everyone jumps on the bandwagon of one bag even if they may not initially like it that much. i do this too, but i don't buy the bag. if i did, i'd be swimming in them and would have tired of this game by now.
/\ Awww shucks siren.... Thank you for your kind words.
yeah true I am not walking around with a fendi zucca fabric bag with a prada plaque on it But the issue has always been very real for me, as i work hand in hand with wardrobe stylists and these people know there sh*......stuff..couldnt be whipping out a tomate ipad cover here if you catch my drift
Once upon a time i was doing someones hair and makeup and they had the EXACT bag as i had with me that day..except hers was an authentic and mine was a rep...i just remember thinking (hoping) she was not a member of the other forum

Even tho my authentic bags might not be brand new authentic Bals or Chanels, there is a sense of peace and comfort when I am carrying a designer authentic bag in such close quarters.
I would have no problem mingling at an event ot a party with my NBF'S (and have done so a few times) no one is that rude to ask for a side by side comparision in that situation, But in a small room with 3 other women and 3 authentic bags...I don't like the risk of being the odd one out (or feeling it)
And you're right Siren I'm sure most think my stuff is real, as do i when i see other women in my field....I picked up my girlfriends BV the other day at a shoot...now that was real. or was it!!!!!!!

Last edited by bagalicious; 12-06-2010 at 08:57 PM.

13-06-2010
fashion elite

Sometimes when i am walking in NYC with Mr bagalicious I will tell him to look at the Balenciaga in front of us as we pass by...(He knows his bags as well..NOW!) he will call me and say ...."I have just seen an outremer rh". And he will say while pretending to cough NBF! hoping to get a reaction from the woman carrying the bag...how funny is that!
His boss has a Birkin and he complimented her on it a few weeks ago, and she got all girly and said "I treated myself with my bonus" like she needed an excuse to be fabulous...
He came and home and told me he saw a live Birkin...I am currently reading the book "bringing home the Birkin" by Michael Tonello..it's a lot of fun.

Last edited by bagalicious; 13-06-2010 at 09:11 AM.
13-06-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagalicious View Post
He came and home and told me he saw a live Birkin...I am currently reading the book "bringing home the Birkin" by Michael Tonello..it's a lot of fun.
I'm reading that at the mo too-great book!

13-06-2010
fashion elite

/\ isn't the book good fashiongirl87
It's made me think more about Ebay! I have about 6 authentic various designer silk scarves..I might try it...there not NWT tho :-(
I am also in and out of another book called "Deluxe How Luxury Lost it's Luster" This is a much more serious business written style of book, no frivolity..but still very good.

13-06-2010
rising star

Quote:
/\ isn't the book good fashiongirl87
It's made me think more about Ebay! I have about 6 authentic various designer silk scarves..I might try it...there not NWT tho :-(
I am also in and out of another book called "Deluxe How Luxury Lost it's Luster" This is a much more serious business written style of book, no frivolity..but still very good.
Try it baga but only if you don't wear them anymore! Dana Thomas's Deluxe How Luxury Lost it's Luster is amazing-i learnt a lot about the whole process of reps through this-would definitely recommend it. Did make me feel slightly LESS guilty about buying reps,

The mark up on designer bags is HUGE when counted against how much they cost to manufacture.

Also read somewhere that near the factories in China some bags are smuggled out by workers because of slight inperfections which mean they can't be sold to retailers. They effectively smuggle them out to sell them on effectively selling the real deal.. wonder if Jacky gets hold of these wonder real deal reps

Last edited by FashionGirl87; 13-06-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: i can't spell!
14-06-2010
fashion elite

Here's a question.
For those of us who carry both authentic and replica bags do you present them all as authentic? or are there some people that you fess up to about your little secret?

14-06-2010
tailored

Quote:
But the issue has always been very real for me, as i work hand in hand with wardrobe stylists and these people know there sh*......stuff..couldnt be whipping out a tomate ipad cover here if you catch my drift

Once upon a time i was doing someones hair and makeup and they had the EXACT bag as i had with me that day..except hers was an authentic and mine was a rep...i just remember thinking (hoping) she was not a member of the other forum
obviously carrying a rep of something that a: is a style balenciaga never made or b: is a color combination (ie, 07 vert d'eau with GGH) balenciaga never did is going to be a dead giveaway...

my feeling is this: the ladies (and gents) at tPF have been fooled by T&D bags and they are so-called "experts"...
the sales associates at brand boutiques, department stores, etc. are supposed to be "experts"
i'm not so worried about being called out by someone on the street, unless maybe it's nicolas ghesquiere himself...

it's no one else's business but my own if i carry a rep or not...
i have told a few of my friends (who are now T&D customers), but i'm not broadcasting it...
i work in the fashion/retail industry, with women who i know make much more than i do, but i dress and present myself in a similar way to them...
like thesiren, i have been to fashion weeks and many events through my blog, wearing my bags and don't really think twice about it...
if you project doubt, then it's going to be written all over your face...

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimair View Post
my feeling is this: the ladies (and gents) at tPF have been fooled by T&D bags and they are so-called "experts"...
the sales associates at brand boutiques, department stores, etc. are supposed to be "experts" ...
Okay... let's stop here. THIS IS CRITICAL. (Or I'm overexaggerating, but whatevs... ) I've learned a megaton over there (you know where) but seriously... I've seen AUTH pieces called out to be fakes and vice versa. (In the worst ways. Some people are just mean and petty, but I digress.) I don't know that, realistically, youu ever CAN be a handbag "expert".
I mean, if the people who WORK AT THE BOUTIQUES can't tell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimair View Post
it's no one else's business but my own if i carry a rep or not...
if you project doubt, then it's going to be written all over your face...
^^^And THIS. If you're fiddling with, adjusting, flaunting, and throwing the damned thing about every nanosecond, you're ASKING for people who don't know any better and have serious boredom and self-containment issues to question your handbag's lineage. Just put it on and WEAR IT. Hell, if you reach around scratching and adjusting and tossing your wig/weaves/extensions about, people will start to suspect. Be calm, be cool, be busy doing whatever the heck you're doing. Swallow your paranoia. Rep hounds smell fear. They react off of it.

I don't offer up what my bags are... I don't go around shouting that I spent $2K on a bag either. But MY BAGS = MY BUSINESS.

fashion elite

I would say on average 6 days a week I carry authentics now, on a day when I am just running around and not doing anything I may carry one of my NBF bags....i have so many other bags now, that I am very into using them for variety and different nuances.
Different handles, hardware,and silhouttes, its actually fun to have variety.
Nobody has ever asked me if my NBF'S were a replica of a Balanciaga and I have never broadcasted it, So i guess I would say I pass them off as authentic..with the "you didn't ask, i didn't tell" logic.
The only people that know my NBF'S are not Bals are my close friends and husband.

I'm off to a Linea pelle sample sale today...woohoo maybe i will be able to get a few beautues to add to my small but gorgeous LP collection, The leather on these bags is the best i have ever expeienced at a $300-$600 price point range bag...just incredible. My fave style is the medium dylan and the foldover totes..

Last edited by bagalicious; 17-06-2010 at 06:36 AM.
17-06-2010
V.I.P.

i dabbled in reps a long time ago and due to my own personal opinions on respecting designs and creative ideas (being an artist myself) i chose to never again carry a replica ever. if i cant afford it, i dont get it, but im not going to carry something that in my mind equals everything i would hate to do to an artist and their vision; everything i would be against if i was a high end designer myself...

www.thegirllovesmj.blogspot.com
22-06-2010
Your pm box is full buggy

^^ I guess I can side with that also, but working in the accessories industry, and being privy to costs and how much the actual bag is priced at before markup - I find it near impossible to pay some of the prices that designers are asking.

If a person is paying $2000 for a bag that I know would cost no more than $30... I personally couldn't deal with that - it would truly have to be a phenomenal bag for me to have to spend that .. and even then I'd wait for the sales.

22-06-2010
scenester

i carry both reps and auths; i've never been asked about the authenticity of a bag. my mom and dh know that i dabble in reps (only reps that i can afford the auth of -- no hermes, here!). as for anyone else in my social circle, i don't think they care. (i'm not in fashion-related industry.)

if i were asked about a rep, my answer would depend on the person asking. there are some people i'd out myself to... others, definitely not.

Quote:
Here's a question.
For those of us who carry both authentic and replica bags do you present them all as authentic? or are there some people that you fess up to about your little secret?

08-07-2010
fashion elite

This thread needs a little life in it....

I now know for a fact that I MUCH prefer the feeling of knowing that the bag I am carrying IS the bag i am carryinng and is supposed to be the color it is, And the hardware is correct for the style it is.

I think we all have our own threshold of what we can or can not accept
(in life.....not just bags ) I think we all know that there is no perfect replica bag....If you can deal and live with that...more power to you...If you can't, then you will always see the flaws.

If i want to protect my authentic bag on a train or in a unpleasant situation or in bad weather, I now have a tote coat http://www.thetotecoat.com/
that I always have folded up in my bag, its a great cover up and protector....you should check them out.

Last edited by bagalicious; 08-07-2010 at 02:44 PM.
08-07-2010
front row

My authentic Balenciaga was stolen with an authentic Louis Vuitton wallet inside. I wanted to die a wee bit inside... honestly, it took me forever to save for those. If those had been replicas, I think I'd be feeling a whole lot better. UGH.

Since this incident, I feel way more comfortable with my reps. They're very good reps, so I don't feel very concerned about being "outed". Perhaps, I'll feel more secure with auths in time...

08-07-2010
fashion elite

/\ oooh Piperbelle I am so sorry. Where were you that your bag was stolen? I hope you had nothing in your bag that was irreplaceable, I know the bag and wallet is enough..but hopefully you will be able to replace them again one day...I'm really sorry

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
authentics, replicas