How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Handbags
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-07-2004
trendsetter

YSL Mombasa
I know I'm kind of behind and late with the purchase, but they said it was a carry over item so i decided to by one.
I bought it on neimanmarcus.com and i think they have sent me a bit beat up one.
the leather is kind of weird looking, kind of wrinkled, can someone tell me what the bas is supposed to look like. Thanx u guy's

08-07-2004
rising star

the leather on some of the bags do look like that. but i'm not sure how beat up yours looks.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by mode_addict@Jul 8th, 2004 - 2:04 pm
the leather on some of the bags do look like that. but i'm not sure how beat up yours looks.
it looks like it was used, and I have heard form a good friend of mine that with you order online, they sometimes tent to sent a bit defective merchendise.

09-07-2004
fashion elite

I would return it and order by phone from a YSL boutique. My mombasa messenger has SOME variation in leather, but didnt look used when I got it. I am sure NM.com has pretty good return policy.

backstage pass

Yes, if you're unsure I would return it. Those YSL Mombasas can have many variations in the leather, I saw some pretty wrinkled ones in Harvey Nichols, both the Mombasa and the YSL banana bag were of the same worn leather. They didn't look worn, though, the leather was still shiny and nice looking, but wrinkled.

I think the Mombasa is like the Chanel quilted 55 bag, a classic and can be worn any time, at any age, in any era! That bone or silver handle can crack a glass coffee table mind you!

I much prefer the Mombasa to the new Chicago bags, I think YSL should keep on doing varieties of Mombasa, a big multicolour leather one with cool perspex handle or something would be fun.

Hmmm, I like the Mombasa

10-07-2004
rising star

i agree with craig. i carry my mombasa messenger every single day with everything and it holds my whole house.

rising star

Are "hobo" bags here to stay?
I have my eye on a YSL MOMBASA Black Bag (I think it's what's Nicole Richie's wearing in below pictures from PeopleExtra [Spring Issue])... also seen on ebay at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true (from reliable seller "leshent")

From what I gathered from this board, this is a decent starter bag... but that was often times from some posts made some time ago... is this YSL MOMBASA, or the "hobo" style, for that matter, here to stay? Will YSL be planning on making any more in the future?

Bonus Question:
Is it "hobo" or "boho" bag? I see it used both ways... Are they the same? If not, what's the difference? And what exactly defines a bag that is hobo/boho? Have they always been so freakishly popular?

Sorry for all the questions... still... learning... gotta start somewhere, I guess...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nicoleysl.JPG (209.8 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg nicolebag.jpg (20.2 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by thewannabe; 02-04-2005 at 04:14 PM.
02-04-2005
V.I.P.

It's on Overtstock.com

There's a messenger? Does it have the horn handle? I love the Mombasa ever since I first saw it...

02-04-2005
mmmmmm...fashion....

i also want a large messenger type mombassa but london sstore only had the small one and the banana shape one, has anyone out there seen them out there?

02-04-2005
fashion elite

I have a black YSL Mombasa messenger from ss03. It is pretty small though, I wish it came in a larger size, I would get so much more use out of it. I would not trust overstock.com, there was a big scandle with them selling fake Tiffany's jewlery, and they had some LV scarves up a couple years ago, and LV NEVER releases to third party sellers.

fashion elite

PS. Diorling, it does have a horn on the bottom part of the leather messenger strap. They did a larger one, but it had a flap and was denim, I wasn't crazy about it, but might fit what you guys want more.

V.I.P.

I want a Mombasa messenger...

02-04-2005
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewannabe
I have my eye on a YSL MOMBASA Black Bag (I think it's what's Nicole Richie's wearing in below pictures from PeopleExtra [Spring Issue])... also seen on ebay at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true (from reliable seller "leshent")

From what I gathered from this board, this is a decent starter bag... but that was often times from some posts made some time ago... is this YSL MOMBASA, or the "hobo" style, for that matter, here to stay? Will YSL be planning on making any more in the future?

Bonus Question:
Is it "hobo" or "boho" bag? I see it used both ways... Are they the same? If not, what's the difference? And what exactly defines a bag that is hobo/boho? Have they always been so freakishly popular?

Sorry for all the questions... still... learning... gotta start somewhere, I guess...

That is the hobo style. The regular mombasa shoulder bag does not have a long strap like that, the horn is the only thing that goes on your shoulder. As far as the boho/hobo thing. If it is a handbag, it is always a hobo. Boho just is an abbreviation oh bohemian. A hobo can be, and quite often is, styled in a boho way though. :p

rising star

I bought a large balck mombasa messenger back in jan. It was 50% off in the YSL store! So suprised on the discount I immediately bought the last one in the hkg YSL store.

13-04-2005
Of too many minds

Are those on Overstock.com authentic???

Ooops sorry just saw the post on Overstock.com earlier...

{*princessimp.blogspot.com*}

Last edited by chiangsi1980; 13-04-2005 at 08:53 PM. Reason: unnecessary post
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
mombasa, ysl