How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-02-2011
tfs star

Thank you for the suggestion crow_watcher

I ended up getting one of Amazon's own brand covers with the built in light. Very well made, secures the kindle well and the light is great for bed-time reading!

09-02-2011
V.I.P.

I have my K2 kindle for over a year now and I still use it as much as I did when I first purchased it.

09-02-2011
front row

I was initially against the Kindle...I love owning books and the physical act of reading them, but I got one for Christmas a few years ago and it's so convenient. Even without the free books, the books are less expensive and I love that they download so quickly. Easily one of my favorite things now.

09-02-2011
trendsetter

I have Kindle on my Droid. LOVE the fact that I can download a book and read it from my phone. Super convenient and inexpensive. Also saves time from going to the library/bookstore and hunting for a book you've been dying for...especially since its been below zero here for some time

20-07-2011
backstage pass

Does anyone have any experience with the Kobo reader? I'm trying to decide which ereader would be best. I love the idea of the Kindle, but in Canada the Kindle is priced at $300 which seems a little steep compared to the $140 in the states.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacrity View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Kobo reader? I'm trying to decide which ereader would be best. I love the idea of the Kindle, but in Canada the Kindle is priced at $300 which seems a little steep compared to the $140 in the states.
$300? That is steep. A friend of mine has the Kobo reader. I would say it's definitely a good alternative to the Kindle. The screen is easy on the eyes and you can adjust the font size. In addition, I found it to be very comfortable to hold in the hands ( I actually perfer to hold the Kobo rather than the Kindle. I have the 3G WiFi version). And you can expand on the memory.

The downfall of the Kobo(if you consider it to be one): No WiFi and no ease of downloading of ebooks. You have to connect the Kobo to your computer and it's not all that user friendly on the computer (according to my friend).

Maybe look into the Nook? Whats the price in Canada?

Also, here in the U.S., a newer version of the Kindle will debut later this year. I would imagine the current generation of Kindles will drop in price soon.

But if WiFi and ease of download is not a big deal to you, by all means go for the Kobo. But I would look for an alternate with WiFi and/or 3G wireless capability. That's assuming you are into purchasing a lot of online ebooks and want that ease of transfer to your eReader

fashion icon

I think I've read more books since I've got my Kindle 3 months ago than I've read in the past 2-3 years. I love it. I'm a sucker for the 99 cent books. I love that you can download a sample of the books to see if you'll be into it or not. Plus the download is like mere seconds. My Kindle is my most prized possession now. I take it everywhere.

12-09-2011
rising star

Where is the love for Sony PRS ebook readers?

I have a PRS 600, its a bit old now but its still awesome. But yes, Kindle is an awesome product and the pricing makes it a must buy.

20-12-2011
windowshopping

My daughter has the kindle fire for christmas. I have an ipad the 1st generation and I'm intrigued by reading loaner books for free. I think I should have purchased me a basic kindle just for that purpose.

20-12-2011
Blood On The Leaves

Does anyone know if Kindle Fire will be available at amazon.co.uk and if, when?

21-12-2011
V.I.P.

Ugh, I need a PDF e-ink reader asap and I've been searching endlessly on google for some feedback on what's more suitable for exactly these two needs and apparently, there is nothing!.

Nothing beats the iPad when it comes to reading PDFs but one of the reasons I need a reader is precisely to get glossy screens out of my life, I need to read a lot and reading on LCD screens for over 5 hours triggers migraine for me, so it's an e-ink screen, but readers with e-ink readers apparently have difficulty zooming into heavy PDF documents. Can someone with a kindle or nook verify this for me? . I won't be reading books on B&N or amazon really, I basically just download A LOT of PDF documents from anywhere on the web (I'd probably download it on my computer and then put it on the e-reader). Does someone here do this regularly? is it really that hard to zoom?. I also need to highlight text and take notes but that can go just as long as there's a reader that handles PDFs to [near] perfection.

Last edited by MulletProof; 21-12-2011 at 06:45 PM.
21-12-2011
backstage pass

^ A good friend of mine has a Sony Reader and apparently it fits your requirements. It's an e-ink reader which reads PDF's and has good zoom possibilities. She has been using it for a year now and she's satisfied with it.

You can read more information about it HERE

Last edited by Niusity; 21-12-2011 at 07:28 PM.
18-01-2012
rising star

I have it on my phone and I really like that I can read a lot of free books

28-02-2012
backstage pass

I've decided to get an e-reader too, I spend so much money for books and here you don't have books in english or any other foreign language. I'm thinking of getting a KOBO, I just don't know which one is better kobo youch or wireless? I don't get the difference. Any thoughts on this device?

Last edited by Niusity; 28-02-2012 at 10:53 AM.
06-10-2012
windowshopping

not super keen on the kindle, cant help but be reminded of that time when all those books were deleted of people's kindles becuase amazon had lost the rights to them. you don't own the book you pay for the rental it seems. not sure how i feel about this, at least with a physical paper book it can't be deleted . .anybody know info about that story?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
amazon, kindle