How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-11-2010
oh! darling

Amazon Kindle
The commercials are telling me that the new Kindle is on sale for $139 and even though I am not an avid reader, I hope this will help me read more since it's like books on the go. One of my professors kept psychological studies on his. It was kind of nice not having a lot of papers to shuffle through and organize.

What do they hold? Is it possible to put books I already own on it?
What is it like in the sun? Bad glare?

Thanks all in advance.

29-11-2010
oh! darling

Anybody?

tfs star

I don't currently own one (hoping to get one for Christmas though!), but from the little I know, books and other reading material can be purchased from amazon, and alot is also free!

I think it holds Word docs and PDF's which can also be annotated. The screen is supposed to be in some sort of e-ink format so there is no glare.

30-11-2010
oh! darling

Whoa! Free books? That'll get me reading for sure!

Thanks for the input, indian rose. Barnes & Noble has their own device as well, no? I wonder how similar it is and if it's any cheaper. :p

tfs star

Yep according to the specifications on amazon, more than 1 million books are free! And other new release's are much cheaper than they are in hardback.

I haven't really looked into any other brands....i think amazon have the largest selection in books, and i quite like the idea that you can get a book in 60 seconds no matter where you are.

01-12-2010
oh! darling

^ Boom, decision made: getting a Kindle.

V.I.P.

I'm getting one for Christmas too. Hopefully I will make good use of it, because I'd love to read more books than I do.
They have WiFi on these, right? Apparently the one I'm getting has.. but with a black and white screen? Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds.

windowshopping

Well the kindle is actually perfect for the sun, its made so you can easily read it in the sun vs the Ipad. The drawback is that it doenst have a back light, so to read at night you have to buy the add on attachable light whereas teh Ipad has a backlight. I got a kindle for my mom last year and its her favorite present of all time!

30-12-2010
oh! darling

What about the Nook from Barnes & Noble?

bn.com

Yesterday during some scrounging around in the App Store, I found iBooks that has free books to read straight on your i-device. Really pleased with that. The first one it automatically downloaded for me was Winnie-The-Pooh.

tfs star

I have a nook , my sister has the kindle. They're both pretty awesome. You can read in sunlight and they're made for reading as it's e-ink display not LCD like the iPad and iPhone which actually hurt your eyes. I recommend it. i read so much more now that i have my nook!

01-01-2011
oh! darling

What else have you been able to access with the Nook and/or Kindle?

I downloaded a few free books onto my iTouch so that's nice. What about magazines? I saw commercials for it that advertised magazine subscriptions.

V.I.P.

I've been using the Kindle for about 4 weeks, and I'm loving it. I'm surprised at how much use I'm getting out of it. It's really simple to download a book too, with the WiFi version. The first book I've downloaded is, Janice Dickinson's No Lifeguard on Duty. Not something I'd pick up in a store. But I can't seem to put it down.

tfs star

Has anyone come across any sites that sell cases/covers for the Kindle? (apart from Amazon's own of course.)

I haven't had the chance to use it whilst travelling yet, but im going to need something soon, so that it doesn't get scratched or damaged in my handbag!

22-01-2011
V.I.P.

^ There's a third party named "ACase" that sells cases for the Kindle on Amazon's website. Do a search for "Acase Vintage Acme Brown" on amazon's website. Not only are the cases of real leather and of high quality, it looks like you paid a lot for the case. I would know -- I have one.

V.I.P.

Personally I never liked the idea of such devices but hearing about the free books for the Kindle I am now quite intrigued! I've been spending too much money on clothes lately and didn't get to buy as many books as I'd like to so this seems like a cool thing to get me back to reading

Totallly random side note: Whenever this thread pops up in the 'New Posts' I think how model names keep getting weirder until I realize Amazon Kindle is an e-book reader

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
amazon, kindle