How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-09-2009
V.I.P.

OMG, the more I learn about digital lenses.... the more I realise I know nothing.

Thanks for that great post (again) Tangerine. I had actually found that artical on dpreview about the 18-200mm lens myself yesterday. I don't like the sound of the distortion you mention and I also don't like the sound of the crop sensor the 50D has. Hmmm, maybe I'm imagining it worse than it is but the fact that SLR cameras were 'what you see if what you get' always appealed to me.

Can I ask what lenses you own?

30-09-2009
V.I.P.

Maybe I should look into the Canon 7D camera with 18-135mm IS lens.

30-09-2009
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb01 View Post
Maybe I should look into the Canon 7D camera with 18-135mm IS lens.
The 7D is a crop sensor camera, too. Most of the DSLRs on the market are, and you will pay a steep price for FF/FX.

7D is a hot ticket right now, if you have the money for it I think it's a great idea. I don't know much about the 18-135 IS lens, but it doesn't appear to have the USM focusing motor, and at that price I'll hazard a guess that you won't be getting all the 7D has to offer, resolution-wise.

My current approach would be to make sure that the lens will be able to deliver the full resolution the camera can offer. Having said that, you will be disappointed at my lens (note singular ), it is the kit lens for the Nikon D60. It's fine but nothing special. I could benefit from a better lens, myself.

the crying of humanity

Since we're on the subject of the 7D... My dad bought one yesterday and is letting me test it out. The ISO can be set to a ridiculous 12800, which is both impressive and kind of unnecessary! But maybe I'm just bitter since my D40x has more noise at ISO 3200 than the 7D does at 12800. Anyway, it's going to be fun to play around with.

V.I.P.

Tangerine, thank you so much for your help. Your post have been great... they haven't helped me make me mind up, but they have given me a lot to ponder over....lol. All the good stuff is so expensive, especially in the lens department. *sigh*

seanutbutter, lucky Dad. I'm sure you and your Dad will be having a ball with that camera, it sounds fab. Did he get a lens with the camera too or just the body only?

01-10-2009
the crying of humanity

^ He bought the body only and then purchased the 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS lens separately. The depth of field while shooting HD video is really impressive!

V.I.P.

^Sounds pretty darn good. There's a definite advantage of having family into photography too. :p

01-10-2009
Soviet Camaro

seanutbutter, I've been waiting for your input in this conversation! I am looking forward to reading your thoughts on the 7D after you have spent some time with it.

CherryBomb, glad to have given you some things to think about. I think we both wish our families would help out in the equipment buying!

V.I.P.

Check this out....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cFS83r3c3U

I REALLY WANT A CANON 7D. What a machine.

01-10-2009
front row

haha these cameras are pricey! i was thinking of getting a digital SLR but found that i won't use it enough to make it worth it.

I recently got a point and shoot Canon SD780. It is small and good quality and gets the job done

11-11-2009
i'm almost ready..

I'm looking at buying a Canon G11....anyone own one or tried one and have any thoughts/suggestions? i was for a moment debating whether or not to get a very good point and shoot like the G11 or a beginner DSLR but I think a DSLR at this point would be overly ambitious... i love photography but have little to no formal knowledge about it .. I just want to self-teach and experiment as i go along.. so i think i'm going to stick with a good point and shoot with some manual features for the time being.

14-11-2009
front row

I've always stuck with my Canon 5D, full frame and perfect to carry around...
Last summer I switched to the 5D mark 2 and omg, great update to the old one! It's brilliant. Lenses wise, I stick to my 50mm f/1.0 as a standard...When I'm out and shooting, it's nearly always on my camera. Beautiful bokeh and softness and I definitely love how to brightens up dark places, I hate using flashes...

On boths 5Ds whenever I shoot with an ISO of 800 and I barely get any noise. It's amazing how little the quality suffers at high iso on them compared to their counterparts.

trendsetter

i would love it if you guys would post some pictures you have taken with your cameras

i am going to buy a new camera soon but im not quite sure what to get yet. i want a really good camera. i recently bought a canon with 10,0 megapx. but it wasnt even that good!

Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-v-elina View Post
i would love it if you guys would post some pictures you have taken with your cameras

i am going to buy a new camera soon but im not quite sure what to get yet. i want a really good camera. i recently bought a canon with 10,0 megapx. but it wasnt even that good!
Members can and do post their photography in the Our Photography thread.

Megapixel count is not really an index of image quality (though most of Canon's cameras are good at their respective price points, IMO.) You have to also take the sensor size and the lens into account. Smaller cameras generally have smaller sensors and produce noisier images. What camera did you buy?

V.I.P.

i have a canon 400D and love it

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
camera, digital