Chanel Sunglasses - Page 7 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
13-04-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Stranger
Then i would def. go for a classical, black pair of Chanel's or Gucci's
Thanks Stranger

Which ones would you consider as classical?

14-04-2007
V.I.P.

Gucci:

otticanet

Chanel:

raffaello-network

14-04-2007
front row

thanks Stranger

16-04-2007
V.I.P.

I wouldn't personally go for those BeautifulStranger recommended --- I think the logos make them to be quite seasonal.

I would recommend first finding out what shape of sunglasses are right for your face. A pair of glasses that look classic don't necessarily look good at all on someone else. When you have found out what shape is right for you, go for a pair that are black and not too big or have any details. I think you cannot go wrong like that --- I would also recommend looking at old photographs of Grace Kelly or someone else with a very classic style. Their sunglasses were the right kind and are still considered stylish. I would call them classics.

V.I.P.

But then again, linen, don't you feel that shades with no logo at all tend to look rather cheap and highstreet-ish?

16-04-2007
V.I.P.

No, not at all. I think the big logos look cheap... they look as if you want everyone to know you shopped at Chanel... or then they look fake.

trendsetter

If you want something timeless, I'd definely would NOT buy gucci or chanel. I'd got for sunglasses - only brands like RayBan and Persol.

16-04-2007
front row

I agree with Linen that you should find something that is suitable for your face shape. That is the MOST important.
I also agree with black...cos it goes with everything, and it's classic.
Don't go with shades that are too big (bug eye) nor too small...

brands...I think that decision is left to you. I don't think you'll be wearing one pair of sunglasses for the rest of your life...so just pick something you like. Rayban, Chanel and Gucci are classic brands...but some people like logos, and some don't...it's really personal preference. RayBan is more subtle...but shades with logo don't automatically make you look 'tacky'....it depends on the rest of your outfit

Good luck finding your perfect pair!

17-04-2007
V.I.P.

But why won't you guys consider Chanel or Gucci classical? I'd find raybans more seasonal..

I btw totally agree with gsquared, you shouldn't buy too big, but if you buy too small, they won't suit you that good.

17-04-2007
front row

These ones are too big to be classic arent they?

17-04-2007
V.I.P.

A little, but then again i find them to flatter almost everyone.

17-04-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Stranger
But why won't you guys consider Chanel or Gucci classical? I'd find raybans more seasonal..

I btw totally agree with gsquared, you shouldn't buy too big, but if you buy too small, they won't suit you that good.
Ray-bans have been sold for longer, and the company is mostly only known for the sunglasses. They also do not change their signature style, but Gucci and Chanel change the style by seasons. While Ray-bans are recognizable, they don't have huge status-logos on the side. That is why they for example are classic, while most fashion house sunglasses aren't.

But why do you need to buy the sunglasses from some big label? I suggest you just go to a store and look around. Try on all the glasses that are black, not too big nor small, have no details and suit to your face shape. Don't care so much about what is the label. Just because you bought a pair of Chanels does not mean they will last for ten years.

tfs star

I totally agree w/Whitelinen, gsquared and yanka. (Hi Whitelinen!)
While the shapes of those Guccis and Chanels shown above are classical, logos really have only been "in" since Tom Ford. There WAS a time when logoed shades were considered too "Madame" looking. And there is always the chance that you will change your mind considering these particular brands, much less advertising for them.

A person who knows, KNOWS by looking at a pair of sunnies whether they are cheap high-street or good quality; no need to prove it, which is a fallacy anyway because to a person who can't tell, they may easily be fake. At the end though, it does come down to a personal choice.

How about Oliver Peoples? Mind you, they are just as expensive and of top quality as Gucci or Chanel, they just don't advertise it.

www.oliverpeoples.com

You can find other interesting ones here depending on your taste.
www.mikli.com

Make sure the shape fits your face and brow. Also, you need not be limited to black; brown or tortoiseshell are also great depending on your coloring.

17-04-2007
V.I.P.

(Hi Melisande )

I think your suggestions are good. I knew I could trust on your taste on this matter!

I myself bought a pair of very classic sunglasses last year. I am not sure whether they are going to last with me for a long time, and they certainly were not a brand name and cost only around 200 - 300€. However, I find them very classic and hope they will last. They suit perfectly to my face shape, which was where I started the whole process. Funnily enough, my sunglasses are the only thing in my wardrobe that is "ready" as in good and stylish. I hope they will last for a long time. This is why I recommend everyone to figure out their face shape before shopping for any kind of glasses.

BeautifulStranger, what I meant was that while the shapes and colours of those sunglasses are perfectly classic, the logo is the thing that ruins them. Good choices shape-wise though

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
(Hi Melisande )

I think your suggestions are good. I knew I could trust on your taste on this matter!

I myself bought a pair of very classic sunglasses last year. I am not sure whether they are going to last with me for a long time, and they certainly were not a brand name and cost only around 200 - 300. However, I find them very classic and hope they will last. They suit perfectly to my face shape, which was where I started the whole process. Funnily enough, my sunglasses are the only thing in my wardrobe that is "ready" as in good and stylish. I hope they will last for a long time. This is why I recommend everyone to figure out their face shape before shopping for any kind of glasses.

BeautifulStranger, what I meant was that while the shapes and colours of those sunglasses are perfectly classic, the logo is the thing that ruins them. Good choices shape-wise though
You could easily buy a pair of Gucci or Dior or similiar for that money.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chanel, sunglasses