How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-04-2007
V.I.P.

^ Very lovely and understated

24-04-2007
front row

Curious - they are by George Jensen

24-04-2007
trendsetter

WOW. What beautiful rings ... in fact,I can almost see the limbless African children reflected in the clarity of the stone.

Shame on everyone who wears a diamond whether as a result of ignorance or arrogance.

24-04-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaldiva
WOW. What beautiful rings ... in fact,I can almost see the limbless African children reflected in the clarity of the stone.

Shame on everyone who wears a diamond whether as a result of ignorance or arrogance.
sarcasm aside, you're obviously against diamonds... i'm honestly curious as to what you would suggest as alternatives to traditional diamond engagement rings and wedding bands. i'm interested in your perspective as I am also against the trade of "blood diamonds". also, what are your thoughts on Canadian diamonds? are they an ethical alternative?

V.I.P.

curious, which is the ashoka? I like the one withthe big circle and the one next to it with the four small rows of diamonds.

25-04-2007
V.I.P.

Thanks GG The second one you mentioned was the first to catch my eye!
The ashoka is the left on the first row.
It's very indulgent and not really an option.. but I still thought it was beautiful

25-04-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass.face
sarcasm aside, you're obviously against diamonds... i'm honestly curious as to what you would suggest as alternatives to traditional diamond engagement rings and wedding bands. i'm interested in your perspective as I am also against the trade of "blood diamonds". also, what are your thoughts on Canadian diamonds? are they an ethical alternative?
This is a great topic!

That being said, tFS is not a political forum, so let's focus on the alternative options

07-05-2007
trendsetter

Actually, I would say that unless you support the more traditional aspects of engagement and matrimony, including the status of women as chattel, then an engagement ring is a completely unnecessary bribe.

07-05-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaldiva
Actually, I would say that unless you support the more traditional aspects of engagement and matrimony, including the status of women as chattel, then an engagement ring is a completely unnecessary bribe.

since when is the traditional status of women in marriage chattel? the sixteenth century or something?

timess have moved on- just because a ring may have represented something neggative in the past does not mean that it does now. If we examined all of society's traditions, it's likely that many of them are based in ways of thinking or behaving that we no longer engage in. But I don't thik that means we should throw tradition out the window.

and surely there must be some diamonds which are not from south africa or a result/cause of violence there?

backstage pass

We each must consider these issues for ourselves. As long as he takes my last name I don't mind if he gets me a ring to celebrate our engagement (in fact I recommend it). I plan to get him a watch in a similar vein, like my mom did for my dad.

This might not work for everyone but it works for me.

Life is Short
07-05-2007
rock-chic

My wedding ring is quite thin & very plain as I have little skinny fingers. It is Victorian rose gold & we got it in an antique jewellery shop in York. I love the fact it is old & hope its previous wearers were happy.

backstage pass

What about Canadian diamonds?
You can actually mine your own (very lovely) diamonds from Arkansas (yep, USA. Brave the scorpians, and they're yours!).
Both are good options!

Personally, as much as I love diamonds (and wouldn't turn one down) I've always been a big fan of having other gems (even before I heard about "blood diamonds" and such.). It's unique, pretty, and really, the ring is nice, but that's not what it's about for me. He could spontaneously propose with a ring from the gas station vending machine, and, so long as he's honest and sincere, I'd still gladly accept. The guy matters a whole lot more than the 'bling'. (can you tell I'm madly in love!? :p Haha)

Anywhoozle.....it's late and I'm rambling....off to float around on Cloud 9 for a while.

08-05-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilettogirl84
and surely there must be some diamonds which are not from south africa or a result/cause of violence there?
Yes, there are other options, and most reputable jewellers will adhere to the processes put in place to protect consumers from purchasing conflict diamonds. So its important to investigate! Like most people, I abhore the purchase of conflict diamonds but feel people will jump on the conflict diamond bandwagon after films like Blood Diamond without really knowing much about it.

Nelson Mandela has often been quoted on how important the diamond industry is to Africa, and for people to stop buying them through ignorance them safely is harmful to the economic state.

Also, engagement ring does not date back to times where women were considered chattel. The first recorded diamond engagement ring was given as a love token from the Archduke of Austria to his princess bride in the 1400s.

11-05-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasmin
We each must consider these issues for ourselves. As long as he takes my last name I don't mind if he gets me a ring to celebrate our engagement (in fact I recommend it). I plan to get him a watch in a similar vein, like my mom did for my dad.

This might not work for everyone but it works for me.
I really like the watch idea. I was thinking recently that when my boyfriend proposes and gives me a ring I might give him a MacBook Pro (yes, we're computer geeks ) but I like that a watch should last forever, and it would be the perfect opportunity for me to find him one that doesn't beep all the time, lol.

11-05-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feline
My wedding ring is quite thin & very plain as I have little skinny fingers. It is Victorian rose gold & we got it in an antique jewellery shop in York. I love the fact it is old & hope its previous wearers were happy.
Sounds really beautiful. Do you have a picture of it?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bands, engagement, rings, wedding