How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-12-2009
backstage pass

Adding my 2.5 carat solitaire engagement ring...

gleam_ring1.JPG

13-12-2009
backstage pass

Canadian diamonds have their own set of issues, too. In order to be considered a "Canadian diamond," a diamond merely has to be mined in Canada. It may, however, be sent to Thailand or China to be cut, and certainly their standards in terms of ethics when it comes to workers' rights, etc., are different than ours.

Not to mention that practically no diamonds found in Canada are over 2 carats. If you're looking for a large stone, you probably won't be able to find a Canadian diamond.

I tend to believe that the Kimberly Process is doing its job in terms of keeping black-market "blood diamonds" out of the mainstream market place. It's not that easy to fake the trail of paperwork each diamond carries with it.

14-12-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleam View Post
Canadian diamonds have their own set of issues, too. In order to be considered a "Canadian diamond," a diamond merely has to be mined in Canada. It may, however, be sent to Thailand or China to be cut, and certainly their standards in terms of ethics when it comes to workers' rights, etc., are different than ours.
That's so interesting Gleam-I never thought about the issues around where the diamond is cut. However, the mining conditions seem to be the most deplorable, so although it may still be cut in China/Thailand, I'd rather buy a Canadian diamond knowing at least the most dangerous part of the job is under stricter guidelines.

06-01-2010
windowshopping

Another option for those of you trying to avoid conflict diamonds is moissanite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moissanite

It's a mineral that is often found in meteorites and occasionally in the Earth's crust. It can also be lab-created. It looks almost identical to diamond and is nearly as durable. It is more durable than other gemstones such as rubies, sapphires etc...

Best of all, it's MUCH less expensive than diamonds and pretty much indistinguishable from them to the average person. It's gaining popularity as an engagement ring stone as more people become aware of where diamonds come from and how they're mined.

09-01-2010
THE STRANGER

^Thank you very much Separated! I will definitely be looking into it.

fashion icon

I've been trying to find a pearl engagement ring for a while now, does anyone have any suggestions for where I might be able to find one? I love vintage rings, nothing more romantic than old glamour

05-04-2010
Looking Up

She said yes

melonia.com

06-04-2010
fashion insider

Gleam I love your ring! It's gorgeous!

11-04-2010
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eostre View Post
I've been trying to find a pearl engagement ring for a while now, does anyone have any suggestions for where I might be able to find one? I love vintage rings, nothing more romantic than old glamour
As I recall there's at least one in the line Alber Elbaz did ... for Cartier maybe? I have a tearsheet around, I can find it if you like. But it doesn't have to be officially an engagement ring, any great pearl ring would work ...

11-04-2010
fashion icon

Thanks fashionista-ta! I'll have a look online and see if I can find it! No, I'm not looking specifically for an 'engagement ring', just something I'll be happy with have been told though that pearls are not a great idea for jewellery that you want to wear daily as they're not very durable so I've started looking into antique/vintage diamond rings as well

12-04-2010
Power to the 99%

^ Yes, I've heard that too ... I guess part of it is how hard you are on your jewelry. I knew someone with an emerald that didn't survive (she eventually put it down the disposal), so ... And I swear before that it was visibly scratched.

I don't know that that would stop me from doing a pearl though. I guess if you want the ring to most definitely last for the rest of your life, then you probably don't want a pearl. But I have a lot of pearl jewelry, and I've never damaged one yet ...

I've gotten beautiful vintage (well, really antique) jewelry from Adin in the past (adin.be). If there's something special you're looking for, they'll contact you when they come across it ... They have lots of engagement rings and other sentimental jewelry ... plus other things that weren't engagement rings that could be used that way. A friend of mine wanted an antique peach-colored topaz, and they found it for her ... really gorgeous. Also ... they at least used to send Belgian chocolates with every order

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 12-04-2010 at 11:48 PM.
21-02-2011
backstage pass

I just got engaged a week ago and I really dislike white diamonds... I got a black diamond solitaire in a white gold simple and traditional 6-prong tiffany setting... I wanted something simple and traditional yet unique (hence the black diamond)..

21-02-2011
backstage pass

also this website has amazingly gorgeous engagement rings..
http://www.faycullen.com/
i would love an art deco or edwardian setting one day.. maybe as an anniversary gift, i can get an upgrade... but i'm happy with what i have right now <3

21-02-2011
Power to the 99%

Thanks for the link, and your black diamond sounds great! Do you have a pic?

31-03-2011
backstage pass

here's a picture.. it looks better in person because the flash makes it look quite flat:

credit: picture is my own.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bands, engagement, rings, wedding