How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-07-2004
backstage pass

A larger carat doesn't always mean a more expensive diamond contrary to popular belief.

There are three C's. Clarity, cut, and carat. Carat is evolved from the Arab word for the karob seed which was used to weight diamonds in the past.

One of my favorite photographs by Helmut Newton.

That is about a 10 carat pear cut diamond.

Charles Baudelaire

02-11-2004
scenester

Engagement Rings / Wedding Bands
yellow gold, white gold, platinum, diamonds... what are you sporting on your left hand? and if you're not what would your ideal set look like?

describe better yet, post pics!

02-11-2004
Storm & Sommer

My wedding ring and engagement ring are sitting untop of each other (on my right hand),
they are identical except that my engagement ring has a diamond and my wedding ring doesn't.

They are both made of
platinum,
brushed surface,
rounded at the edge,
4 mm wide.
None of the rings have inscriptions because as my sweetie said: there's only ever going to be the two of us..
no new husband in the future..so there's no need for an inscription to remind you who gave you the rings

The diamond isn't huge, I dislike too much flashy bling bling..I'm not doing an Elizabeth Taylor.
My husband was very against giving me a diamond engagement ring due to ethical reasons (conflict diamonds..)
but he knew I wanted one so he went against his believes and bought me it
It's a round cut, great clearity , 0,25 carat
The diamond setting is quiet unusual, a bended round edged band is holding it in place -so no snatching on any garments.

argh..I think I need to post a pic..a picture would be so much easier.

pinterest : hanneonpin
03-11-2004
scenester

indeed I would love to see a picture! it sounds like what you are describing with the bended round edge is a 'bezel setting' - am I right?

I'm only engaged and am in love with my engagement ring. I find as I'm typing at work my eyes just go to it and I have to take a moment to admire it ... ahhhhhhhh

Mine is a round solitaire on a yellow gold band - it gradually gets pinched at the diamond so all the attention goes straight to it. It's .5 carat and it's a perfect diamond. So shiny it's unbelievable...

I had no say in picking it yet I am so pleased with it... it's so simple yet lovely, just a classic!

03-11-2004
Storm & Sommer

Congratulations Ferda it sounds lovely..good for you that your fiance has good taste!

To answer your question..no it's not a 'bezel setting' setting (had to googkle that..had NO idea that setting had names ) the 'bezel setting' 's I found pictures of were like a rŪng around the stone..and my setting is a bended ring..so you can actually see the stone from the side from the two sides where the setting isn't bended.

pinterest : hanneonpin
04-11-2004
scenester

thank you Hanne!

04-11-2004
tailored

this is my engagement ring, except the diamonds are princess cut. the center stone is .75 carats, and side stones are .33

my band doesn't match it...i couldn't find a pic, but it's a pave band, with diamonds half way around. I think it's .5 carat total weight.

front row

I have my dream set- my husband did an amazing job picking it out all by himself. The engagement ring is platinum, with a 1.83 round diamond, F color, VS1 clarity. It is set in band that has pave diamonds going all the way around in a beaded setting.
My wedding band matches the setting of the engagement ring and is very thin, with diamonds all the way around.

04-11-2004
trendsetter

My mom didn't get a diamond in her wedding ring until my parents could afford it.

I could care less as long as its not too flashy.

Preferably not gold too.

04-11-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

I'm not married yet...yet...

My mum's wedding ring was a plain gold band but engraved with art nouveau flowers by the Polish jeweller who was their neightbour...I think it was stolen...

front row

Quote:
Originally posted by kimair@Nov 4 2004, 04:28 PM
this is my engagement ring, except the diamonds are princess cut. the center stone is .75 carats, and side stones are .33

my band doesn't match it...i couldn't find a pic, but it's a pave band, with diamonds half way around. I think it's .5 carat total weight.
[snapback]418012[/snapback]

That is downright gorgeous. I love blue, not a huge fan of diamonds... my ring is a rectangular sapphire on top of a bridge with a row of diamonds underneath. The wedding band matches the row of diamonds on the engagment ring. They're both platinum. I'm not a gold person. I love them.

Last edited by Hipkitten; 28-01-2007 at 11:30 AM.
08-11-2004
trendsetter

That's weird
You just described my mother's wedding band
It was a thick band of Russian gold with art nouveau leaves and flowers
very uncommon for the time and place.
I love to look at it when i'm at her house.

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Nov 4 2004, 06:47 PM
I'm not married yet...yet...

My mum's wedding ring was a plain gold band but engraved with art nouveau flowers by the Polish jeweller who was their neightbour...I think it was stolen...
[snapback]418182[/snapback]

09-11-2004
rising star

Well, I'm not engaged yet -- but that doesn't meant I can't look! For an engagement ring, I am super-duper in love with a single stone on a very thin band with pave diamonds, like this Michael B. one. Too bad it's $3,200 for JUST the band (not to mention the $2,800 for the matching wedding ring!).

Oh, but isn't it just gorgeous?

SIGH.

24-11-2004
Vinniccio

My commitment band, since this lovely country doesn't allow me to marry is an antique 18k white gold with a natural blue diamond (2carats) cushion cut in a tension setting.

24-11-2004
V.I.P.

oh sugarjunkie that ring is gorgeous! I like simple rings I don't really like gold.. I like white gold or platinum. I can't find a picture to post but one of my favorite rings is a diamond Chanel camelia flower! It's beautiful

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bands, engagement, rings, wedding