How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-07-2009
Meg
inspired contemplation

It's funny. The last pair of glasses I had, I ordered without trying on. Or rather, I planned to order them without trying them on, by luck I found a shop that stocked the brand and tried them on and ordered them. I have an oval shaped face so most styles tend to fit. If I was getting smaller, more precise glasses, I might try them on in a shop but with more oversized styles I'm more confident I guess.

That is a good question - I'm not sure what will tip the scale. I guess I am leaning more towards the Selima/Prism shape because I find that a bit fresher than the tycoon/tom ford shape. I've always been in love with that kind of larger, slightly oversized new york publisher type frame shape. I really love the way the Selima frames look on the model, but I'm not sure they will quite as good on me. I just need to think these things out!

12-07-2009
girl who fell to earth

Meg i like the Selima's and the J. Crew as well (but only if they are dark, not clear)

12-07-2009
illustrator

meg i am a huge fan of bigger bolder frames. though, that did do me in with the cutler&gross pair (so outrageously heavy). eye placement and where the eyebrows are, or rather, lol, where the frames fall on my face are a reason i would want to try them on. i think i would say i have an oval face too. but my features are more on the hard/angular but petite side, and i once got advice that, for me, i think i agree with - go for glasses that are the opposite shape of your face. i do prefer rounder, wider, thick frames. my friend has a super round moon face, and i could not believe how much better sqaure-ish frames, which she would never have chosen for herself, looked on her.

illustrator

anyone have any thoughts about horn as a material for glasses?
is it a superior material, for wear/comfort?

Meg
inspired contemplation

yes, well in an ideal situation I would want to try them on but because of my location, I really can't. If they don't suit my face I would probably just sell them on ebay.

I also wonder about horn. My guess is it would be quite a light material. Some of the prism's come in horn and I really like the colorways they come in. Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

13-07-2009
illustrator

i totally understand - my hand hovered over the 'return' key to make a prism purchase myself. those look like a safe bet -- really nice.

ebay is a good idea. one of my pairs might go in that direction...

the one pair of horn frames i love are on the thick side (i'm a little predictable).

here are some pictures i've saved of people wearing glasses.
(pictures from style.com and fudge magazine)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (29.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg glasses & hair.jpg (40.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: png k.blanchet - glasses.png (74.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (34.7 KB, 15 views)

backstage pass

I really have an urge to buy new frames now. HAHAHA! *must stop self* lol. I really do love my eyeglasses now because a lot of people has been complimenting me because of it. There was also this one time that a total stranger approached me and asked what brand my frames are. lol.

I think it is really important for a person to find the correct shape of frames for his/her face. A friend wanted to have the same frame as mine, but when she tried it on, it looked really weird on her face. O_O

30-07-2009
Meg
inspired contemplation

I'm still desperately in love with the Prism's and now DailyCandy featured them and I don't want them to sell out (not sure how big the batches they make them in are) but I'm paying money left, right and center at the moment....

Last edited by ChrissyM; 04-08-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: response to deleted post
01-08-2009
rising star

i saw and tried on some amazing ray-ban glasses in my opticians yesterday, i think i'm gonna have to get 'em

illustrator

i bought a pair that do not seem to be particularly flattering on me, and yet i just love them.
happily, i don't have to see myself when i wear them, but i can always take them off and admire them.

Meg
inspired contemplation

^
You know what? That is totally how I feel about things sometimes. For me, the pleasure I get aesthetically from owning/looking/wearing an object, outweighs that it may not necessarily be the most flattering option.

07-08-2009
illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
^
You know what? That is totally how I feel about things sometimes. For me, the pleasure I get aesthetically from owning/looking/wearing an object, outweighs that it may not necessarily be the most flattering option.
exactly!
and now, some very nice friends tell me that the glasses do look good on.
regardless, i love love love them. how long can glasses last? i want to have these forever.

fashion icon

My vision is 20/20, so I don't need prescription glasses. But I think some eyeglasses are pretty cool and love the geek chic vibe they give off. Are there eyeglasses that have, like, no grade but have UV protection or something (so there's at least a functional purpose behind me wearing them)? I don't want people going "why are you wearing glasses? you don't need them you lucky 20/20 biatch" at me

07-08-2009
Not Thinking About Time

^ you should get some eyeglasses tented at 10 0r 20% from an eye doctor you can still wear them indoors and still have a little shade outdoors thats what my mom has ontop of her prescription and without it they still have a purpose.

Portfolio Last FM
07-08-2009
fashion icon

^ Oh ok. Thanks from: sophia!
Question: is the 10 or 20% the tint? sorry, i'm kinda clueless about these.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
eyeglasses, framed, thread