How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-06-2008
front row

socaligurl - i think you had mentioned the cartier tank francaise MOP was a good copy -- i don't know much about auth/rep watches at all but i do own this particular one! (auth)

would it be any advantage for anyone if you posted a pics of the rep and i post matching pics of the auth? just a thought..

30-06-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaligurl80 View Post
^Im not sure Id go for a gold rollie, considering it wont be solid gold as the auth, might have issue in color and "stability/durability" of the gold plate.
I know.....I know.....but I want.....I want!!!!:p

30-06-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmini View Post
I know.....I know.....but I want.....I want!!!!:p
Then you should get. Really these are just fashion accessories so who cares if they don't last a lifetime.

Coincidentally I was just going through a little bowl where I had put a bunch of watches. A few of them were gold colored metal of some kind and they were fine. If the plate starts to wear off because you have been wearing it everyday for a year -- shrug shrug. Truly in the scheme of things aren't there lots of items that one doesn't expect (or even WANT) to last a lifetime.

To me that's the fun of replicas -- provided I enjoy the style. I am a pack rat by nature and so I have all MY bags and accessories from about 1984 on -- plus stuff from my grandmother and mother (chiefly bags and jewelry). I can't say I have a compelling desire to wear ANY of it. They say the 1980's are coming back -- I guess I will be well set up for that.

But I really don't HAVE a desire to wear the same bag for the next 20 years because it is an "investment". I know people say that a Birkin or a Chanel are timeless -- but everything goes in and out of style -- or one gets bored with it.

I am much more likely to think about furniture as something that should last a lifetime.

Last edited by jujulabee; 30-06-2008 at 03:55 PM.
30-06-2008
backstage pass

^^^ Here, here!!!!

30-06-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikidee View Post
socaligurl - i think you had mentioned the cartier tank francaise MOP was a good copy -- i don't know much about auth/rep watches at all but i do own this particular one! (auth)

would it be any advantage for anyone if you posted a pics of the rep and i post matching pics of the auth? just a thought..

would LOVE to post pics from those sites, but the pics are watermarked.. .sorrie
PM your way with the site for you to see (the link actually)
and you can post pics of your auth and tell us your review

with the MOP, specifically, our watch forum's reviewer said the blue saphire part is a little bit more rounded than the auth, and overall it's a pretty good rep. As for the movement, it's quartz, so it shouldn't be too hard to replicate, and the price is FAB. I'm seriously considering to get one so PLEASE tell us what u think because I really really want one..

I've tried on the special edition (it was a pink background but I believe it said 100 years? something like that?) and really liked it but didnt feel like buying it then and now I regret it...

Last edited by socaligurl80; 30-06-2008 at 06:29 PM.
30-06-2008
trendsetter

oh and juju... about stuff being stuff you're SO right. I really get tired of things easily and end up using everything pretty much according to whether I like it or not. For instance, I might use my very expensive shoes once in a while cuz I get tired of them easily, but use my almost cost nothing flats every single day cuz I love them so much.

Bmini: if you like the gold rollie go for it!!

30-06-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulabee View Post
Then you should get. Really these are just fashion accessories so who cares if they don't last a lifetime.

Coincidentally I was just going through a little bowl where I had put a bunch of watches. A few of them were gold colored metal of some kind and they were fine. If the plate starts to wear off because you have been wearing it everyday for a year -- shrug shrug. Truly in the scheme of things aren't there lots of items that one doesn't expect (or even WANT) to last a lifetime.

To me that's the fun of replicas -- provided I enjoy the style. I am a pack rat by nature and so I have all MY bags and accessories from about 1984 on -- plus stuff from my grandmother and mother (chiefly bags and jewelry). I can't say I have a compelling desire to wear ANY of it. They say the 1980's are coming back -- I guess I will be well set up for that.

But I really don't HAVE a desire to wear the same bag for the next 20 years because it is an "investment". I know people say that a Birkin or a Chanel are timeless -- but everything goes in and out of style -- or one gets bored with it.

I am much more likely to think about furniture as something that should last a lifetime.
well said

chels- love the scarf! thanks for the posting the pic

30-06-2008
front row

Tank Francaise MOP (mother of pearl):
I was going to do a full review but as an amateur who's never compared, i figure i wouldn't find anything you all couldn't see or discuss yourselves.

um, just realized i'm not even sure if this photo is 'legal' -- would it be okay if i said the rep pic was courtesy of 'PC'? (auth pics courtesy of me)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compare.jpg (449.4 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by kikidee; 30-06-2008 at 09:49 PM.
01-07-2008
trendsetter

kikidee!! lov LOVE ur watch!!

I guess the rep is a good rep, however, I was right about my suspicion.. ur "cabochon" (the sapphire part that adjusts time) is pink in the auth, vs the rep being blue, which is a dead givaway..

The white version of this one is a good rep, and I remember a watch forum member reviewing this watch saying it was pretty good.. I MOP is not an option then.. the regular watch should be fine, since it looks like a pretty good rep of your watch!!

LOVE LOVE UR watch!!!

01-07-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaligurl80 View Post
oh and juju... about stuff being stuff you're SO right. I really get tired of things easily and end up using everything pretty much according to whether I like it or not. For instance, I might use my very expensive shoes once in a while cuz I get tired of them easily, but use my almost cost nothing flats every single day cuz I love them so much.

Bmini: if you like the gold rollie go for it!!
I appreciate your opinions/research on the best reps, and I know you are right.......but a girl can dream, right??

01-07-2008
front row

thanks for the compliments Socaligurl!

I actually did a search for my watch and i think i saw many authentics with the blue cabochon. but didn't pay too much attention. what's funny is my friend has the same watch (i don't usually copy my friends! but this watch looked much better on than the santos) and hers has a pink cabochon, too.

My biggest issue with the rep is the shape of the face -- there's a lot more metal above and below the face, making it a perfect square. on the authentic the face is 1mm taller than than the width making it a rectangle. it's a small difference but it changes the shape completely from rectangle to square.

it was fun trying to compare these because i am also in the market for a rep -- possible another cartier (or what i call my watch, a 'startier') or a starter rollie.

01-07-2008
trendsetter

^lol, that was a very accurate description. (and I see the difference but really cant tell on my own)

I must say I copied your picture and sent it to pc asking if he could change the cabochon and his response was a simple no. The watch is as is.

I would love to have a startier.. Im waiting for my starter rollie to arrive and will let u know once I see it!! (wish I had a real one to compare with but I dont think Ill get one anytime soon )

01-07-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmini View Post
What don't I have my eye on??

I want a J12, the gorgeous rolex that Socali ordered, a Chopard happy diamonds and a Cartier Pasha Seatimer...maybe a gold Rolex......
^^Oh, how I can relate to that (text in bold)..

Sounds like you have great taste in watches too. Good luck with those.
I would love to get a Chopard happy diamonds..not sure what style I love the best though.. and a couple of Rollies have caught my eye. I used to think a lot of them were boring. I saw an authentic one over the weekend in a shop front and it stopped me in my tracks. It was 40 grands worth.

01-07-2008
V.I.P.

kikidee - love your new Cartier. I think that's a style you shouldn't tire of very fast.

Chelsea - very nice H scarf, it looks huge. I could probably roll myself up in that baby.

Jujulabee - excellent post. I agree with your sentiments 100%.

01-07-2008
backstage pass

wearable art- thanks again for the nice comment-I am still thrilled with my purchases!

CherryBomb01-thank you for the kind words-I love this scarf-got it from jacky and yes, it is HUGE 35 x 35 inches just like the auth...I like to roll my scarf sometimes and use it as a belt....or a skirt in this instance!!

I looked on ebay and saw an auth tohu bohu (different colors though) and mine looks EXACTLY the same!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
accessories, ioffer, lushfashionscom