How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-03-2005
V.I.P.

I have a Sony VAIO and I love it!

20-03-2005
What fresh hell is this.?

I know nothing about them. I've been told that my Asus laptop is good though. I don't know what kind it is though.
But it is lovely.

20-03-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

i have an ibook...

20-03-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

Unless you wish to waste money, buy an AMD processor. RAM must be DDR or better, goes without saying. Graphics are probably going to have to be either ATI or nVIDIA. Sound is probably going to have to be Creative Labs. Hard-disk doesn't matter - if you need to ask what sort of laptop is best then you probably don't use applications that need some crazy amound of ROM. Make sure that you can type well on the keyboard. Make sure it has enough ports for what you want to do, YOU NEED USB PORTS, no-one can have too many. Sony VAIO are extremely expensive for what they are and anything Apple is a plain RIP-OFF.

front row

I think i might want an Ibook, just because of the look... ..does anyone know which programs arent compatible with Macs?

(Thanks everyone for all the replies )

20-03-2005
fashion icon

You all seem to know what you're talking about when it comes to laptops. All I know is that mine is a silver Dell and it has buttons

Last edited by CelineChic; 20-03-2005 at 10:25 PM.
21-03-2005
front row

ibooks/powerbooks are quite quiet... I leave mine on all night, while my BF turns off his PC because it is a crazy loud monstrous machine! but this thing is whisper quiet.

Ibooks are great, but ALWAYS upgrade the ram. you should have a minimum of 512mb of RAM. OSX is really designed to run off of nothing less. and while I never recommend buying cheap ram, dont get it from the apple website because it is so over-priced.

everything said and done, I payed about $3000 cnd for my laptop after taxes and a ram upgrade. I have a combo drive, not a superdrive, sometimes I wish I had the super but my friend's powerbook overheats when he uses it (mind you, it is a first generation superdrive)

my favourite feature of the OSX software is Expose - other users can probably attest to this, but if I have 80 pics in photoshop, I just drag my mouse to the top right corner of my screen, and expose 'tiles' everything for me - creates small icons of everything so it can all fit on the screen at once. 80 windows open on an XP machine would be too much because you would have to click through it.

if you are just looking for a laptop for papers and such, I would get the 12 inch ibook, with a ram upgrade. you can get the full suite of microsoft office software for mac, the main compatibility issues lie in games - there is a LOT of software for macs. the 12 inch size would probably be ideal because it would be easy for you to tote to classes if need be, pop it into a bag, and you are not as much of a theft target with a laptop bag - any messenger bag will do, just get a 'wallet' for the lappy to prevent it from scratching.

::

21-03-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksiel
ibooks/powerbooks are quite quiet... I leave mine on all night, while my BF turns off his PC because it is a crazy loud monstrous machine! but this thing is whisper quiet.

Ibooks are great, but ALWAYS upgrade the ram. you should have a minimum of 512mb of RAM. OSX is really designed to run off of nothing less. and while I never recommend buying cheap ram, dont get it from the apple website because it is so over-priced.

everything said and done, I payed about $3000 cnd for my laptop after taxes and a ram upgrade. I have a combo drive, not a superdrive, sometimes I wish I had the super but my friend's powerbook overheats when he uses it (mind you, it is a first generation superdrive)

my favourite feature of the OSX software is Expose - other users can probably attest to this, but if I have 80 pics in photoshop, I just drag my mouse to the top right corner of my screen, and expose 'tiles' everything for me - creates small icons of everything so it can all fit on the screen at once. 80 windows open on an XP machine would be too much because you would have to click through it.

if you are just looking for a laptop for papers and such, I would get the 12 inch ibook, with a ram upgrade. you can get the full suite of microsoft office software for mac, the main compatibility issues lie in games - there is a LOT of software for macs. the 12 inch size would probably be ideal because it would be easy for you to tote to classes if need be, pop it into a bag, and you are not as much of a theft target with a laptop bag - any messenger bag will do, just get a 'wallet' for the lappy to prevent it from scratching.

::
THANKS.
so Apple isn''t only stylish..
it's also a good buy?

Yeah, here in Europe
it's cheaper.. also.

21-03-2005
front row

Thanks a lot to everyone for being so helpful, Im afraid I dont know too much about computers...
Can you buy the Microsoft program for Macs at almost all stores?? (A&B sound, etc.) Im mostly just looking for one for papers and such..i usually dont play on much games on the comp. I just go to tfs So everybody that has an Ibook likes it??? Thanks Arksiel, you really helped out a lot

21-03-2005
front row

hey, anytime my geekdom will help others, I am more than happy to share . as far as purchasing the microsoft office suite, I see that you live in victoria..

http://wheretobuy.apple.com/cgi-bin/zb/ZipBurst.acgi

london drugs is good to deal with if you can't get into an apple-only reseller. that link should give you a great number of options. also, once you get your machine, you can download a program called limewire (quite like kazaa). I grabbed office off of that untill I could afford it... being a student you might want to do the same. I had to wait a few paychecks after I got my machine

the other thing I completely forgot to mention is the virus factor.... there are only 50 known viruses for mac, from what I have heard. These are not even for OSX, they are for the previous versions of mac OS, like Classic, OS 9, and so on. I have never had a virus on this computer, which is nice since I previously worked on (and still own) a windows xp machine that is bug-ridden almost constantly. The 24 hour phone support with Apple is quite good from what I have heard, but I have never needed to use it.

oh, and do yourself a favor and get a usb mouse... and as pretty as they are, do NOT buy the apple mouse, especially if you are a first time mac user... the lack of right click even pisses me off. if you want an alternative, besides the millions of mice out there, these, if you dont mind me saying, are damn sexy:
http://www.dvforge.com/themouse.shtml

there is a bluetooth model available as well now.

21-03-2005
front row

Oooh they are sexy..and no Viruses?YAY!!!!!
My friend has limewire and she says it works pretty well...why did you get a RAM upgrade? (and because im so unaware of almost everything computers..what is RAM?)
Thanks

Last edited by PinkSunrise; 21-03-2005 at 08:46 PM.
21-03-2005
front row

RAM - is a form of memory. it is where the computer stores files and such while it is working on them, and it effects the speed of applications, and how fast a computer performs a task. for instance, photoshop, final cut pro, cubase, are all RAM intesnsive programs.

you can have a screaming fast processor, but without enough ram, your computer will 'bottleneck' so to speak - like sucking a milkshake from a large glass through a thin straw.

21-03-2005
front row

ohh ok thanks..do you recomend a certain # or type?

21-03-2005
front row

well, for standard uses, 512 mb of RAM is good, since the laptops come standard with 256, you just need another stick of 256. Kensington is a good, well priced brand for RAM. It is extremely easy to instal ram in these computers, but I would recommend spending the extra money and installing it yourself!

21-03-2005
backstage pass

Friggin Macs. Trust you fashion junkies to go for looks =/

Beauty is a form of genius - is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
laptops