How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-08-2008
fashion insider

alot of people on here don't seem to like macbooks, but I thought they where the best computer's out now, like there the best about not getting viruses? I have a friend who has one and said she never has any problems.Then another friend i know has a dell and she's always having problems.

Last edited by MeMe7; 27-08-2008 at 09:16 AM.

27-08-2008
tea time

my friend had a dell laptop and ended up having to wipe it completely and ser it up again within about 6 months of having it

but my other friend who also has a dell hasnt had a problem with hers and she uses it for VJing who knows computers are funny things.

and the reason pcs get more virus' than macs is that the people that create these virus' are wanting to attack microsoft or buisness companys that are more likely to be using pcs as appossed to macs there are more mac virus' about now than before though. thats my understanding of it anyway and it makes sense.

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
27-08-2008
trendsetter

ok i need help. ive had my lovely sony vaio for almost two years now and ive never had a problem with it, but lately its been taking ages to turn on and sometimes it only turns on on the second attempt. it takes ages to load and its not because the memory is full or anything because ive already emptied all my folders.

im thinking of getting a new one but i cant stand macs!! theyre so complicated for me. should i just take a chance and get another vaio? its definitely cheaper than a mac and they have it in white as well so its pretty! haha

27-08-2008
front row

^ I have had a Dell all my life, currently have a 4 year old notebook, and I have never ever had one crash.

However I am looking to buy a new laptop for law school, and will for the first time not be buying a Dell because of Vista, its too new and has too many problems... Im going to get the MacBook air, see how I like that one...

27-08-2008
trendsetter

Mac is great for people who are into multimedia, design, advertisment... who need to use photoshop type software etc. The last Mac virus update was sometime in 2000. Its virtually impossible to get a virus.
The new Mac Book Air is the thinnest laptop available... although it doesnt have a disk drive.. who cares! You can always attach an external one.

As for those using Windows... you need a good anti virus... I would recommend AVG! Its the best. I need to transfer lots of data and it can always detect a threat. It keeps updating automatically each time you log on to the internet.

I use a Compaq 13.5" laptop.

I have been ogling over the Sony Vaio 12" laptop for ages! But am still waiting to get it.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylicia04 View Post
^ I have had a Dell all my life, currently have a 4 year old notebook, and I have never ever had one crash.

However I am looking to buy a new laptop for law school, and will for the first time not be buying a Dell because of Vista, its too new and has too many problems... Im going to get the MacBook air, see how I like that one...
Do NOT get the MacBook Air. You'll regret it. The Air was designed for frequent flying business travelers who need to travel light anyway, not college/law students. You should get a MacBook or MacBook Pro instead. Those are clearly worth your money.

I have a MacBook Pro and wouldn't trade it for the world. I should know, too. I've had my share of Dell laptops, and they've always ended up in death. So, to anyone looking for a new computer - you won't be disappointed with a Mac. The features on it are exceptional and make life much easier.

If you have any questions, I'm here. =]

Last edited by quiet heartbeat; 27-08-2008 at 11:58 AM.
27-08-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie123 View Post
im thinking of getting a new one but i cant stand macs!! theyre so complicated for me. should i just take a chance and get another vaio? its definitely cheaper than a mac and they have it in white as well so its pretty! haha
My family has gone through two Vaios, we've had the same problem each time, so I personally wouldn't recommend another try... but I've also been converted into a Mac user and can't imagine ever going back. It's frustrating at first, but you learn easy when you discover that it's actually set up a lot easier than Windows. But then again, you can always run Windows on your Mac and combine the two!

But this isn't to say Macbooks are flawless - my Pro's screen cracked and cost $1000+ to be replaced (NO IDEA how this happened) and sometimes my screen fades out until I physically move it, it's weird. But nobody I know has these problems, so maybe it's just me

28-08-2008
V.I.P.

I had two Dells.

They crashed EVERY month. I had to wipe it EVERY month.

Hence my fear of Dells.

But satisfaction brought it back
28-08-2008
V.I.P.

HELP!

Is a 15.4 too big for a college student?

And how heavy should I go for? 6 lbs too heavy?

28-08-2008
backstage pass

^ I don't think 15.4 is too big if it's the only computer you have. If you have a stationary aswell, I would get a small laptop only for school/work.

And about heavyness, depends on how much you want to carry around really.

I also had a Dell once, lasted about 3 years perfectly, and then I would get the blue screen death every now and then. But apart from it worked very well for me.

Now I have a customised 15.4 laptop from a small company that can run pretty much everything.

V.I.P.

^I have no feel for the weight.

Is 6 lbs too heavy? I want to be able to haul it around without dropping it.

What is the opinion on HP Pavilions? I've heard about Lenovo and Dell and Toshiba, but not many computer geeks seem enthused about the HP.

28-08-2008
backstage pass

These websites might be useful:

http://www.notebookreview.com/
http://www.laptopmag.com/

I can't say much about the HP, other than it has a really nice screen, good for graphics/photographs and such. This was one of the things that I hated the most about the Dell that I had, the screen was crap. The picture quality and diluted colors really made working with graphics difficult, because pictures would end up looking completely different on most other computers.

rising star

Macbook owner. I choose it over a dell being that I had the Dell computer in the past was NOT pleased with the amount of viruses I received on it.

31-08-2008
VSFS 2009!

Just curious? How long have you had your Macbook for?

31-08-2008
rising star

Since March.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
laptops