How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-03-2005
front row

Laptops
Ok didn't know where to put this thread..
What does everybody think is hte best laptop, for style, performance, everything??
Thanks a lot
xoxoxoxox

19-03-2005
backstage pass

I have my dream laptop right now!
HP 17 in. pavillion 512 (soon to be 2gig) RAM, p4 proc.
It's a beautiful thing.

Beauty is a form of genius - is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation.
19-03-2005
front row

I could be biased and say a Powerbook, but there are a few things that you have to consider... mainly what are you using it for?
for any sort of photography or music editing purposes, I prefer OSX (thats a mac, incase you are wondering) because I find that they are much more stable. I have never had a virus on any mac, never had anything crash, and everything is idiot proof with OSX... and it actually works. My BF used to work for HP, as an example, and I was told that windows XP has a lot of printer-related bugs, if you want a solid evidence based example.

however, if you are more into games.. I will be honest, a windows based machine is the way to go for sure. There just arent as many, or as high profile games available on mac yet.

This all being said, I love my 12 inch powerbook... I took it with me to the last wedding I shot, and it is so small that it fits into a normal messenger bag without having to use an ugly laptop bag (although lately I HAVE taken to using a hardshell bombproof case for it...but I keep some of my camera gear with it now too... so it'd better be sturdy!) I have it hooked up to a second display at home, which is quite a nice setup.

macs are more pricier if you are simply looking at specs ... ie ram and processor speeds, but more efficient at running programs.

The other day I had safari (a web browser on macs) , photoshop, msn messenger and microsoft office running, and I also had 80 pictures open in photoshop...Ive gone up to 200 images in photoshop, and i love love love how well this baby runs. my powerbook is the generation before the current one, which was released in June. it has a 1.33 processor in it, and 700+ mb of ram. cant recall the exact number.

as far as laptops go, you sort of have to go in, see them in person and play around...if you get talked into a pc or a mac by one person or the other, you may regret it in the end...they make stylish choices for both, but in my opinion you cant really beat the simple beauty of a powerbook...100% brushed metal... no plastic...and a glowing white apple icon on the cover. the ibooks are also sexy, with the modern white treatment.

good luck, let us know what you decide

ps, can you tell I'm a techno geek?

20-03-2005
front row

Thanks, thats really helpful..
I would just be using it for basic college stuff, (taking a Business-Finance course) so essays and all that good stuff,
How long have you had your powerbook for??? I would love it if i didnt have to carry a laptop bag..whats the memory and stuff, and how much did you pay? Thanks a lot

20-03-2005
rising star

Some help me out also..
I need one next year for my school and more.
I love the Apple iBook g4, 12 inc.
It's so beautiful and stylish.. but what do you guys prefer?
Are they really good, or does the style blindes me?

20-03-2005
Storm & Sommer

All I want to say is..if you're in the market for a new laptop:

GET ON THAT HAS CENTRINO TECHNOLOGY!!!

It makes the laptop completely silent..no annoying churning or buzz whatsoever

pinterest : hanneonpin
20-03-2005
tea time

im going to get my laptop today yay! no more saving to disk.

i think one of the main things to look for is the software. ask what is included with the laptop or you could end up shelling out 200 plus for a software package alone.

plus what size memory it has and what processer go for a well known name such as pentium.

generally go for whats in the inside rather than the looks. although i must admit i am going to go for something sleek and stylish but make sure its gonna run well too!

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
20-03-2005
trendsetter

I have a Sony VAIO, but I've always wanted an iBook - just because they look good.

20-03-2005
Adorable illusion

^^ I fell for that one as well..I bought an ibook for the way it looked. The whiteness looks so sleek and cool..but Im not used to using OSX so I sold it.

20-03-2005
V.I.P.

I want the Apple 12" iBook. By far the most attractive laptop out there.

But I'll probably end up getting something...cheaper. :p

20-03-2005
windowshopping

I bought a 12 inch ibook about 6 months ago, it was a really hard decision, but I absolutley love it and would never consider a pc again. The only thing that might be annoying is that some programs arent for mac. But really its never been an issue for me.

20-03-2005
tea time

i have my laptop yay

20-03-2005
front row

I'm like some kind of laptop killer i'm still to find one which can survive me, i think i need some kind of course on "how not kill you're laptop" or something! Ooo and yay cowboy boots ! Just don't kill it! :p

tea time

^^^ i think its idiot proof and i hope i dont kill it or i may not be on tfs for a while

20-03-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanne
All I want to say is..if you're in the market for a new laptop:

GET ON THAT HAS CENTRINO TECHNOLOGY!!!

It makes the laptop completely silent..no annoying churning or buzz whatsoever
You're so right, mine's so silent.
I have an HP nx7010, 1.7 GHz, RAM 512 MB, but one of the best features is the moniter- it's 15,4" and widescreen so it's great to watch movies on.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
laptops